Memtest and Prime95 aren't the last word in stability...

Bones

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I had an interesting experience and thought I'd share it.

I rebuilt one of my systems, using a DFI DR-Expert board and 2x512 OCZ gold, Athlon X2. Booted Windows to do the initial overclock (Windows OC tools are so much better than what's available in Linux). Found 2700 Mhz to be 24 hour Prime95 stable, no errors running Memtest, either. Then I installed Gentoo Linux...

Everything was great until I went to recompile the toolchain. For non-*nix users, the toolchain is the system compiler, libraries, and related utilities. Needless to say, the toolchain is the most important software on the system because everything else is built by it. Anyway, I got a file not found error when compiling gcc the first time. I couldn't find any config mistakes, so I went ahead and tried it again, and it worked. Suspicious...

A bit later, the box was in the middle of compiling glibc when it segfaulted. I was worried now, and I restarted the glibc compile. It was successful. I knew then that I had some kind of hardware problem.

To make a long story short(er), I had to clock the memory back down to stock in order to get a clean toolchain compile (turned out the CPU was fine at 2700). I believe that a toolchain compile is especially sensitive to memory errors, because the toolchain essentially must recompile itself at least twice, which would tend to magnify any problems with the generated binaries.

So memtest and prime don't mean a damn thing, really. Go figure.

they do, but it is indeed a very incomplete picture. i would also run superPI 32m, windows memtest and some 3d benches ;)

You should run Windows Memtest. If your memory is causing errors you wont pass Windows Memtest for any long period of time. Let is run to 2,000% and if your error free you shouldn't have any memory problems. I've found SuperPI 32m easy to pass when testing memory because its not a long enough test nor does it use nearly enough RAM. Prime95 Blend works alright if you allocate enough RAM but i prefer Windows Memtest.

i will second burninggrave, windows memtest generally finds all errors well before it gets to a full %2000 pass if there is a stability issue with the memory. i have had an instance where 3D stable wasn't the same as windows memtest stable but that was a special occurance.

like eclipse said, if you are testing memory stability a heavy dose of spi32M / prime / 3d benches / gaming should all be included in final testing for 24/7 use.

Back