Memory ?

NMP40

n00b
I just noticed that I have 2 different model of memory in my computer
They both look the same, they both our Corsair Vengeance memory sticks
slots 1-2 show this model number CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
slots 3-4 show this model number CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
So are these the same memory, I know the ones I had in the rig where a dual channel set 4gb x 2 dual channel.
The other 2 I got from my father, I am thinking they came from a 16gb set 4gb x 4.
I haven't seen any issues or BSOD except when I have been trying to OC this rig.

Thanks for all replies and information on this question. I guess if not getting any issues then it's fine. I just thought that you had to run the same memory model.

There wasn't a question..

You can have two different makes/models of RAM .. though for dual channeling and what not you want the same.

If the frequencies, timings, and voltages match, then there is no functional incompatibility.

The different serials are probably there to indicate which retail kits they came from. If you're wondering why they didn't use the same serial for same specs, it's because the kit is tested in house as a matched set before packaging. So the sticks in the 2 DIMM kit are matched and the sticks in the 4 DIMM kit are matched. There is no functional difference in this case.

Thanks, I was wondering this cause every time I try to OC my system I keep getting real high temps & just after a few moments of prime95 I get workers 5-8 stop functioning & I get freeze up sometimes also. I just cannot seem to find that sweet spot on temp & Overclock, I want to get up to 4.5 but When I get there my CPU temp warning kicks in at 65 degrees Celsius. I was just wondering if I might be having a memory issue causing the overclocking instability. Thanks for the replies.

Back