Memory upgrade worth it?

If I buy two lots (4 sticks) of the G skill ram in the first post (dual channel) will I be able to put them all in my mobo and use them? Or is that only possible with quad channel memory?

If I buy two lots (4 sticks) of the G skill ram in the first post (dual channel) will I be able to put them all in my mobo and use them? Or is that only possible with quad channel memory?

It should not make a difference meaning you can use them. Or 4 single sticks..

Could someone tell me what is the best out of those three RAM I listed please? And what exactly is the best about it?

Edit: It seems the TRident X is the best of those three, does anyone know if there is any better 2400mhz ram for the same price?

Last edited:
Get the cheapest 1866 mhz CAS9 1.5v RAM you can find and call it a day.

Actually, don't bother upgrading. That money is far better spent on a GPU or CPU upgrade. Or a larger SSD.

My CPU is a 4770K overclcoked to 4.4ghz, I'm getting dual titan blacks, and my SSd really is large enough for what I use it for (both of them really).

So, I have money to spare on ram if need be, so it boils down to the question of timings vs frequency, i don't know the answer to that question but I'm gonna try the frequency route.

Well, it's your money to waste however you want. Higher frequencies and lower timings are better. Anandtech has an article on memory performance on Haswell.

Wait until after all your other upgrades are in and running. If, for some reason, the performance doesn't impress you, then I doubt getting faster RAM for an already extremely efficient memory controller is going to fix that.

You're wasting money on something that you most likely won't ever notice a difference.

I currently have 16gbs of this memory.

Is there any point in upgrading to 16gb of this memory?

Purely for gaming reasons.
There might be a game or two out there, that will gain 1fps or 1.5 fps, heck maybe even 2. But for the most part it won't make a noticable difference unless you are running particular benchmarks. I mean, you can always sell your old ram after you swap - so I say go for it if you want to be as snappy as possible. If you still need SSD drives or other upgrades though, you might hold off.

I tried some G.Skill 2400MHz C10 (2x4GB) ram in place of my Corsair 1600 C9 ram (2 x 8gb) and I think one gaming benchmark saw an ever so slight increase. I ended up sticking with the Corsair because I needed (wanted) 16GB. If i had to buy 16GB of ram today, I'd get the G.skill Trident 2400MHz C10 16GB kit for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back