memory/stability issues with DFI NF4 - also dead NB fan

meatfestival

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, I'd been noticing some weird problems lately, like Data Execution Prevention popping up when I try to play certain games or Windows Media Player. Also games would crash to desktop or blue screen a lot.

I tried tweaking some memory settings in bios and when I booted up, I got "NTLDR is missing". The OS has been corrupted, this has happened several times before when I've been trying to get the memory stable.

Running the integrated memtest would give me errors on test 5 & 8. I tried running at stock settings, even loosening timings even further, but still errors. Sometimes hundreds, occasionally just a couple. The errors always occur at 98-99%. I've heard this is a very common thing.

So I opened up the case to try swapping the RAM sticks and I noticed the northbridge fan wasn't working. Could it be overheating and causing the memory problems?

I swapped the sticks over, but still got errors. So, I've been testing each stick individually and everything is good so far. I'm running the ram on a divider giving me 214mhz (which is the limit at stock timings), and I have my 3700+ at 2.8ghz. Each stick has done 50 error-free passes of tests 5 and 8, I've also done about 9 hours of all tests with one of them, and the other is testing right now, no signs of errors yet.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? The only thing I can think of is the chipset overheating when trying to run the ram in dual channel. In the meantime, once the ram is done testing I'll just get the OS reinstalled on one stick, at least I know that will be stable.

Not sure how hot the NB is getting, will need to check. Is it at all dangerous to have it running without a fan (apart from the obvious dual channel problem)? Should I just RMA the board rather than replacing the cooler, just in case something has been damaged?

RAM is OCZ Platinum EL 2gb dual channel kit. PC3200, 2-3-2-5
bios is the latest official one, 6th april or whenever it was
board is SLI-DR, not sure exact rev, would need to remove from case. Bought it a year ago.

Well, the Evercool seems to have solved the problem - memtest is running in dual channel with no errors so far.

I was surprised at how difficult it was to get the original DFI cooler off. It wouldn't budge at all, so I warmed it up with a hairdryer and it came off with a little twisting. The yellow thermal pad was absolutely brick hard, is it supposed to be like that? I'm thinking it maybe got baked solid since the heatsink wasn't getting cooled properly.

Back