memory slots failing - Is the memory controller on the motherboard or in the CPU (Intel 3930K CPU, X79 chipset)

Huh.. the only time I have ever had problems with x58 or x79 systems not detecting all the RAM was:

1. CPU needed to be reseated.
2. CPU contact pads had become oxidized and needed to be cleaned.... pencil eraser or deoxit will work fine for this
3. Bent socket pins.... fairly easy to fix unless you have absolutely mangled them.
4. RAM not seated all the way or needed to be reseated
5. Edge connector on RAM has become oxidized... see #2.

I've been running x58 and x79 platforms since they were new and have only ever had 1 board die and I am unsure if it was the CPU that took out the board or if it was the board that took out the CPU.

I really never understood all the problems that people seem to have with these platforms.
1. I have 3 CPUs - all working and many reseats have done nothing .
2. see above
3. not applicable
4. if this was the case then the missing memory would not show up with the new bios .
5. same as above
I am on number 4 X58 board . First two were 09kpnv from the T3500 ( which went down - as far as I could tell from VRM failure ) , An Asus and now this one . Cleaning CAN get the boards working , but never always . I have just tried the BIOS update again and Bios shows all installed ram - 8GB triple channel . Downgrade Bios and back to 4GB . You seem to have had a charmed life with these boards .

Huh.. the only time I have ever had problems with x58 or x79 systems not detecting all the RAM was:

1. CPU needed to be reseated.
2. CPU contact pads had become oxidized and needed to be cleaned.... pencil eraser or deoxit will work fine for this
3. Bent socket pins.... fairly easy to fix unless you have absolutely mangled them.
4. RAM not seated all the way or needed to be reseated
5. Edge connector on RAM has become oxidized... see #2.

I've been running x58 and x79 platforms since they were new and have only ever had 1 board die and I am unsure if it was the CPU that took out the board or if it was the board that took out the CPU.

I really never understood all the problems that people seem to have with these platforms.
In order of your answer:

1. CPU was reseated.
2. Not sure about that.
3. Socket pins. I have run in to that with friends. I already tried to fix with a magnifier, but I guess I'll try once more.,
4. RAM has been removed and reseated any number of times to test out which RAM sticks were known good in which sockets, just to establish a baseline for further testing.
5. I would assume that removing and reseating RAM would remove the oxidation.

Back