Memory Question

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
What is the best bang for your buck brand of memory? I'm going to be getting a Phenom X6 1055T (I might be overclocking a couple hundred MHz) and an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

I need a recommendation for memory. I was originally going to go for 4GB, but noticed some Kingston HyperX 6GB Triple Channel: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104118

It's a pretty good price after rebate, when I was planning on spending $65 for 4GB total.

I also noticed these in the Hot Deal sections: http://www.frys.com/product/6009088

What do you guys think of those? Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

Thanks

You're better off with two of the Corsair kits from Fry's. Considering that you will want to buy another stick if you go with the triple channel kit. You'll spend more overall if you go with the triple channel kit.

I don't know if I will be buying another stick anytime soon if I already have 6GB. Is there anything inherently wrong with the Kingston HyperX RAM or does it perform well? Does having 3 out of 4 RAM slots filled impact performance?

Also, that Fry's deal isn't as good as originally thought. There is tax for my state and shipping costs as well.

Edit: I just noticed Newegg also give you some kind of fan for your ram for free with purchase. Is it a gimmicky product or make the whole order more appealing?

Last edited:
I'd hop on the 8GB G.Skill deal: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1564037
DDR3-1333, but a nice price.

A triple-channel kit in a dual-channel board is mostly just an upgrade-awkwardness problem since you're not going for a large OC. However, if you're planning to get full DDR-1600 speed out of it, all the RAM I've ever found is only guaranteed at the rated speed with a one-stick-per-channel setup. That being said, I run a mix of two Corsair and two ADATA sticks at over their rated speed. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: There's also 4GB of DDR3-1600 for $50 shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Last edited:
Either run 4gb or run 8gb, if you run 6gb you will cut your memory bandwidth in half because you are shifting it into single channel mode. don't bother with 6gb kits unless you want to keep one as a spare.

What is the speed difference between the 1333 and 1600? Is it noticeable in games and applications?

Could a 1333 stick be pushed to 1600?

What is the speed difference between the 1333 and 1600? Is it noticeable in games and applications?

Could a 1333 stick be pushed to 1600?

If those 1333 sticks don't hit 1600 i will be really really surprised. AMD's memory controller is rated at 1333mhz. There will be no noticable benefit... we are looking at less than a 5% benefit between the two speeds.

I didn't even realize the AMDs IMC ran at 1333. I don't know where I got 1600 from. Anyway, does that $90 memory look like it might be the best of the season for 8GB?

The IMC runs at 2000mhz default, but it only supports up to DDR3@1333mhz. It's gona be the best deal this season without a doubt. I'm buying it myself. If a better deal comes it'll probably be in the form of a mail in rebate, and I've never been successful with those.

I assume G. Skill is a respected high quality brand since I see so many people with them?

I put them at the top of my list with Corsair and ahead of companies like crucial and kingston and miles ahead of patriot.

I just looked at the QVL memory list for the motherboard I plan on getting, and I don't see this memory on the list...Should it still work anyway?

memorylist.jpg

I can't bring myself to buy it just yet. Does anyone else concur that this is a spectacular deal? I just have this fear of buying stuff when it isn't a good deal. lol

I just looked at the QVL memory list for the motherboard

I don't even bother looking at that any more because manufacturers only test like 1/10 of the modules on the market.

lol, and it seems the G.Skill is now back in stock. Newegg sure has strange inventory practices...

What would be the better choice between the two?

Both seem to be time sensitive (rebate for Mushkin ends soon and the other could go OOS soon again)

Cost is not important. If the G.Skill is better the $10 difference is insignificant.

Back