Memory Pairing question...

Apathy

Gawd
You may have an issue with the ram voltage as the ocz runs at 2.1 while the g.skill runs at 1.8-1.9.

I did see the voltages are different, but after checking CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor (honestly I forget which one showed me the voltage) I saw the OCZ Reaper was only drawing 1.8 which is the same voltage requirement for the G.Skill.

Hopefully it works. Any ideas what to look for after I stick it in? Ram should show up later today.

Also should be noted that the heat sinks on the Reapers are massive. I am fairly certain that identical modules would not fit, but I'm hoping the G.Skill's can slide between. I think they'll be short enough that the heat sinks don't hit.

Last edited:
If you really want to be paranoid you could take out the ocz and put in the g.skill then run memtest and some other memory tests. Then put the ocz in with it and run memtest again.

The OCZ are spec'd to run with 2.1v, so if you're only supplying less voltage, they may not be stable, regardless of those voltage readings in whatever software. What matters is the voltage you choose in the BIOS for the vDIMM setting. The problem with mixing two sets of RAM that are spec'd at difference voltages is that there's no guarantee that either kit will work with the other's voltage spec. You may be able to drop both kits down to DDR2-667 @ 1.8v, and they SHOULD work fine, but that will drop your OC down to 3Ghz. The best thing to do is find another 1.8-1.9v kit and possibly trade in your OCZ kit.

Oh, sorry, didn't read the OP fully the first time. Since you already bought the G.Skill, just test it at 2.1v with your OCZ kit and see if it passes 24h of memtest. Also, when you touch the RAM sticks, make sure they're not TOO hot to touch -- they should only be warm, not hot.

I appreciate the feedback. Just woke up and stuck the G.Skill in. Everything is reading 8GB and the voltage in the OS through software is reading 1.8v.

I haven't had any instability in anyhting for three years except for when running multiple clients of eve online. Never bothered to up the dimm voltage for whatever reason. Maybe that was causing eve to crash in the past. I think I am going to take your advice though and get rid of the OCZ Reaper X, and pick up another set of the G.Skill. I dont want to have this in the corner of my mind.

Now to find someone who wants some DDR2....

Thanks guys.

Back