Memory layout for x99 boards

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Does it matter if I have 8x4GB or 4x8GB memory layout on the x99 platform? Looks like RAM should still be as it always was, in pairs.

Should be done in quads on X99 boards, they are 4 channel. As for 4 DIMMS vs 8, I dunno. In theory I would think they are the same, however since it uses bank switching maybe going to 8 DIMMS slows things down, I don't know. Haven't seen a benchmark.

Generally, more DIMMs only very slightly decreases the ability to overclock.

I think almost 100% of today's kits will run at rated speeds with 2, 4, or 8 DIMMs all in a row. But overclocking, YMMV.

I don't mean overclocking, I mean normal operation. DDR4 changed things as it is point-to-point, done DIMM per memory channel. They way it handles more sticks is bank switching, meaning choosing which is active. I don't know if that has a negative performance impact or not. It doesn't necessarily have to, but it could in theory.

Should be done in quads on X99 boards, they are 4 channel. As for 4 DIMMS vs 8, I dunno. In theory I would think they are the same, however since it uses bank switching maybe going to 8 DIMMS slows things down, I don't know. Haven't seen a benchmark.

^ this

Sometimes the controller goes from 1T to 2T when all banks are installed with memory. Not much of a loss, but to some it can be.

Back