Memory Lane: List some of your old favorites

n0ob3r

Limp Gawd
Hello All,
I was about to post a thread about a single title I was thinking about, but thought I would open it up to see what your favorite old games are. Mine are the following:

1. Wing Commander: Privateer
2. C&C Tiberium Dawn
3. Half life (Where it all began)
4. Kings Quest (I enjoyed a good adventure game)
5. Duke Nukem 2D
6. Age of Empires 2 (not my least favorite, but almost forgot to list it)

Let me know what your favorites are.

1) MechWarrior 3
2) The Secret of Monkey Island

...I didn't have much access to a PC when I was younger ><. My family didn't have a powerful computer, and I couldn't afford anything decent on my own. Looking back, if I had been more computer savvy I probably would have really enjoyed the original Fallout games and Baldur's Gate.

Console would be a different story though! With Y2K being the cutoff, some favorites were:

1) Super Mario World - SNES
2) Tekken - PS1
3) Mega Man Legends - PS1
4) Mega Man X - SNES
5) Star Fox - SNES
6) Pokémon Blue - Gameboy
7) Spyro the Dragon - PS1
8) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64

Right now I'm playing through Xenogears and it's pretty incredible!

Pretty much every old mech game.
in rough order:
Mechwarrior (all of them)
Battletech: Crescent Hawks (both)
Mechcommander
Heavy Gear
Earthseige
Mission Force Cyberstorm

then:
Dukenukem 2d
Commander Keen
Cyber Empires
Megatraveller 1/2
Starflight 1/2
Deus Ex
Total Annihilation
X-wing v Tie Fighter
Empire at War
Star Wars Rebellion
Dark Omen
Shadow of the Horned Rat
Mystical Ninja
Tenchu: stealth assasins
N64 Mario
Freelancer
Desent

There was a NES game where you played a monk fighting to reclaim several magic orbs that was really fun too, the name escapes me.

This is a list of games that elicit good memories, not necessarily my favorites.

Ghostbusters (Sega Master System)
First video game I ever played. Have a lot of good memories playing with my mom trying to beat the game. I don't think we were ever able to do it.

Test Drive (MS-DOS)
First PC and racing game I ever played.

Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
First video game and video game console purchased brand new by my family.

Street Fighter II (Super Nintendo)
My first introduction to the fighting game genre, which subsequently brought years of friendly competition with my sister in video games.

Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo Entertainment System)
First video game where my sister and I recorded our gameplay and began timing our runs to compare to each other. First time I ever did a "speedrun" of a game. Was speedrunning outside of games with in-game timers even a thing in 1993?

Super Metroid (Super Nintendo)
Sister and I competed for fastest times in this game when we were kids. We would constantly trade off best times IGT minutes at a time in what the 100% category would be considered today. We worked with each other to find out where all the items were, the best route to get them, and the best strategies. My sister actually discovered what is today known as the "mock ball" during this time, even getting early super missiles. We fell out of speedrunning long before it became a popular thing, though.

Goldeneye 007 & Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64)
My sister, father and I spent countless hours in the multiplayer of these games, much to the annoyance of my mother as we played late into the night on school/work nights.

Grand Prix Legends (Windows PC)
While I had played racing sims prior to this game, this is the first one that opened my experience to what an immersive one could be. Got caught up in finding the perfect steering wheel and endlessly improving my GPLRank. After this game racing sims became one of my favorite primary genres.

Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo Gamecube)
First game I played on the first game console I paid for using my own money.

Doom 3 (Windows PC)
First game I played after putting together my first enthusiast-class PC. Seeing the game run on max in-game settings led to me tending to buy the most powerful parts available for my PC going forward. I became a primarily PC player of video games afterward.

Ahhh, you all reminded me of several other titles I enjoyed.

Other notable mentions (that I am going to shamelessly add =) )
1.Commander Keen
2. Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior mercenary titles.
3. Mario 64
4. Descent
5. Star Wars: Dark forces (and other versions)
6. Golden Eye 007 -waaaaaay too many hours......

Jackel arcade (mame)
Raptor f22 best side scroller pc
Original Wolfeinstein
Sam and max (scrumm)
TIE fighter
Any civilization (3 is best)
Super Mario rpg snes
Shining force 2 (Genesis)
Mike Tyson punch out
Red Alert
Dune (one after Red Alert pc)
Morrowwind

1990-2000
Test Drive III (first PC game I ever played)
Dune II
Tie Fighter
Doom 2
Transport Tycoon
Raptor Call of the Shadows
Cyberia
Wing Commander IV
Red Alert
EarthSiege II
Interstate 76
Carmageddon II
Gran Turismo II (played it on PC with Bleem!, and Epsxe)
Jedi Knight
System Shock 2
X-Wing Alliance
DeusEx

(dates are in relation to when I played them not when the game was released)

2010's
Skyrim
Battlefield 3
War Thunder
EVE Online
Everquest

2000's
Civilization 4
Asheron's Call
Oblivion
Battlfield 1942 & Battlefield 2
Everquest

90's
Falcon 4
Everquest
Civilization 2
Master of Orion 2
Quake 2

80's
The Bard's Tale
M.U.L.E
Archon
Racing & Adventure Construction Set
Mail Order Monsters

In no particular order:

Ace Combat 04
Jane's USAF
Half Life 2
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Pilot Wings 64
Star Fox 64
Homeworld 2
Counter Strike: Source
SWAT 4

Only game I'd look back and not really care about now is Counter Strike. Games I still play occasionally would be SWAT 4 with mods and every now and then Ace Combat 04, along with its other PS2 era games.

There are many other games I liked a lot, but those ones are "newer" so didn't list them.

If we're going to titles played when I was young and drawing the line at the around the end of high school and excludes classics I've played in the couple of decades since then:

A-10 Attack! and Cuba
Baldur's Gate Series
Call of Duty
Counter-Strike 1.1-1.5
Day of Defeat
Deus Ex
Doom 3
Half-Life 1+2
Halo
Hellcats Over the Pacific
Homeworld Trilogy (including Cataclysm now Emergence)
Falcon MC
Fallout + 2
Freespace 2
Marathon
-> Marathon: Infinity
MechWarrior 2 + 3
Morrowind
Myth and Myth II
No One Lives Forever
Quake + Quake 3
Rainbow 6 series up to R6:3
SWAT 3+4
SW: Dark Forces, DF: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast + Academy
Unreal Tournament
X-Wing: Alliance

Last edited:
Some of my favorites

Secret of Monkey Island 2
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Wing Commander Privateer
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 6
Twinsens Odyssey
Unreal Tournament
Ultima Underworld

Oh gosh, too many to list.

Twisted Metal 2
Destruction Derby
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Super Mario World
Castlevania IV
Unreal Tournament 99
Age of Empires 2
Diablo II
Killer Instinct
Metal Slug
Daytona USA
Total Carnage
UMK3
Hyper Duel
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Soldier Blade
Hellfire S
R-Type
Raiden Project II / DX

*Edit, forgot to mention all the Nintendo 64 Wrestling games, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WCW Ect.

Last edited:
Deus Ex
Half-Life
Diablo
Quake 2
Myst
Doom 3
Riddick: Butcher Bay
Oblivion
Ultima 3
Fallout 1/2
Sorcerer
Infidel
Starcross
Zork series

Last edited:
6. Golden Eye 007 -waaaaaay too many hours......
You can get the remake for the Xbox One that they never released on Archive.org. Its pretty awesome. Think Goldeneye but with better textures and lighting. Also, try out Goldeneye Source on Steam, there a a few servers that people still play on.

Milton's secret castle on nes.
Dark age of Camelot on pc.
Star fox 64.

I'm too lazy to think of more right now :).

Milton's secret castle on nes.
Dark age of Camelot on pc.
Star fox 64.

I'm too lazy to think of more right now :).
I was playing Star Fox 64 the other day, I forgot how fun it was. Sure had some legendary 4 play battles back in the day :)

Between, Starfox, Goldeneye & those N64 Wresting games, The Nintendo 64 was just a bad ass console for multiplayer.

I was playing Star Fox 64 the other day, I forgot how fun it was. Sure had some legendary 4 play battles back in the day :)

Between, Starfox, Goldeneye & those N64 Wresting games, The Nintendo 64 was just a bad ass console for multiplayer.

N64 was the ultimate couch multiplayer console, starfox, golden eye, smash bros, mario party.

Wii was pretty good too, never got star fox or golden eye in proper form, but mario tennis and strikers where added, as well as rabbids, along with a very zany Wario game.

edit: I can't beleive i forgot mario kart too, for shame.

Last edited:
You can get the remake for the Xbox One that they never released on Archive.org. Its pretty awesome. Think Goldeneye but with better textures and lighting. Also, try out Goldeneye Source on Steam, there a a few servers that people still play on.
I will have to check that out. Its hard to go back after N64 days though.

Without going off topic it is a shame there hasn't been a great Star Fox game since 64.
I agree! Especially with VR now being more developed. However, you would probably need to have a barf bag when they ask you to ....DO A BARREL ROLL! :LOL:

Part II: 2001-2010

• Max Payne
  • Max Payne 2
  • Mafia City of Lost Heaven
  • Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
  • Deus Ex: Invisible War
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Fallout 3 (sorry NV fans, the map and exploration was better in this)
  • GTAIV: Episodes from Liberty City (the only GTA where I actually enjoyed the story, both of them)
  • Test Drive Unlimited (the best damn street racing game ever NFS what?)
  • Mass Effect 2

I have way too many to list, but some games I loved as a kid that sometimes get forgotten are Faxanadu and Battle of Olympus. Battle of Olympus never got any sequels, but the theme has been explored quite a bit with modern games. Faxanadu has become straight-up obscure, though. Not too many people remember that one.

I have way too many to list, but some games I loved as a kid that sometimes get forgotten are Faxanadu and Battle of Olympus. Battle of Olympus never got any sequels, but the theme has been explored quite a bit with modern games. Faxanadu has become straight-up obscure, though. Not too many people remember that one.
You have won the award of a game that I have not heard of. Had to look up Faxanadu.

You have won the award of a game that I have not heard of. Had to look up Faxanadu.

It was a bit like Zelda 2, but with no overworld. It was a big deal (Top 5 in Nintendo Power!) for a little while, but people forgot about it kinda quickly. Star Tropics was another gem of an NES game that came and went and people forgot about, although it at least got an eventual sequel.

Like others have done I'll have to sort mine by era.

Atari 2600:
Pitfall
Yar's Revenge
Jungle Hunt
Cosmic Arc

Commodore 64:
One on One (Larry Bird v Dr J)
Castle Wolfenstein
F15 Strike Eagle
Epyx Summer Games
Raid on Bungling Bay

Sega Genesis:
Nothing really

PS1:
Doom/Final Doom (greatest game of all time)
Need for Speed
Parasite Eve 2
Syohon Filter 1-3

Xbox:
Max Payne 1&2
Halo 1&2

Russian Attack
Boot Camp
Double Dragon
Operation Wolf
Contra
Time Soliders
Kicker
Final Fantasy 3
Ultima Online
Dark Age of Camelot
Rift
Everquest 2
Dantes Inferno
Demon Souls
Dark Souls 2
Duke Nukem Forever
Borderlands 1
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
Nioh 2
Deus EX Human Revolution
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Fallout New Vegas
Divinity Original Sin
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Rainbow 6 Seige
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty AW

Last edited:
C64/168
Bruce Lee
Flight Simulator 2
Pirates!

x86 Golden Age
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
Out of this World
Wing Commander: Privateer
X-Wing v T-fighter
Ultima VII: Black Gate
M&M IV: Clouds of Xeen
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom 1-2

Pentium Era (aka "the lost years" as I didn't play much due to school/work/sports)
Dune
Panzer General II
C&C
Quake 1-3

Athlon Era
Dark Forces
Jedi Academy
Black and White
AoE II
Thief 1-2
Max Payne 1-2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Diablo II
Oblivion

These are the games that have etched a space in my memory. The list gets hazy as nearer to the present... strange that. I'll do a part two with console games in a minute...

Faxanadu has gotten a recent bump by the speedrunning community for some reason, although it's still not all that popular or known.

Faxanadu has gotten a recent bump by the speedrunning community for some reason, although it's still not all that popular or known.

I still have the Hard Copy of that game from 1988 or whatever. The World Tree was the best part but I never even got to that part I don't think.

I agree! Especially with VR now being more developed. However, you would probably need to have a barf bag when they ask you to ....DO A BARREL ROLL! :LOL:
In regards to VR have any of you messed with dolphin VR, I could not get it fully working but Mario sunshine and metroid prime games are awesome, not sure if they had a starfox game though.

Also so many games from these lists I have missed to add to back library.

In regards to VR have any of you messed with dolphin VR, I could not get it fully working but Mario sunshine and metroid prime games are awesome, not sure if they had a starfox game though.

Also so many games from these lists I have missed to add to back library.
I have not messed with VR except at my brother's house. Interested to try it out more.

Bioforge
Hexen
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent
Descent II
Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knight
Quake I
Unreal
Unreal Tournament

So many more.

Agree most with Unreal Tournament and all the frags from Face_2 map. :)

Also, I'd love to see a modern remake of Descent...

Also, I'd love to see a modern remake of Descent...

There is a game called Overload which is supposed to be from the original makers of Descent. It captures the basic feel and themes of Descent while giving it an update. However, like many things from our past, I didn't think the gameplay held up all that well. I still have fond memories of Descent I and II, but I felt like Overload was a "been there and done that" kind of game. If your interested, it's pretty cheap on Steam.

Face was good, but you knew you weren't getting up for your seat for a while when CTF Niven came up in rotation. Man that map would test your ability to not launch your mouse across the room.

Also can't believe I don't see Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on any lists.

Face was good, but you knew you weren't getting up for your seat for a while when CTF Niven came up in rotation. Man that map would test your ability to not launch your mouse across the room.

Also can't believe I don't see Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on any lists.

It's pretty forgettable in a sea of WWII games.

Super Mario World - one of my first video games I've played
Need For Speed - first Playstation game I played
G-Police - really enjoyed this game on the PSone and would love to play something similar today but not sure what modern games are similar.

Mechwarrior 3 - basically where I got my online alias
Half Life - the game that basically made me a PC gamer
TFC - I miss playing this. TF2 is great but didn't really get into it much.
Counter Strike - Played for many years.
Diablo 2 + LOD - there goes my childhood.
Natural Selection - the game that spawned many friendships who I still play games with today.

There's more but these are the older games I have fond memories of.

Back