Memory for the Asus Rampage 3 Formula

Fire488

Limp Gawd
I have made this memory my preliminary choice so far best on recommendations from the Asus site. I was wondering what the great minds at [H] think.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145329

I am going with the i7 980-X Extreme processor so I know that this processor works better with only 3 of the RAM sockets used.

I really want this to be a killer gaming rig and i do plan on overclocking. The system will be liquid cooled.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

note- kills me that the new SandyBridge will be coming out in the fall, but I need a system now...

I'd grab a kit like this instead. You're probably going to see rapidly diminishing returns past 1333 MHz and memory failure isn't really correlated to temperature, so I'd also avoid anything with gimmicky fans and such. I like Corsair, but not enough to throw the extra money at their feet. Unless the fan is worth $150. :p
I am going with the i7 980-X Extreme processor so I know that this processor works better with only 3 of the RAM sockets used.
Based on ... ?

I'd grab a kit like this instead. You're probably going to see rapidly diminishing returns past 1333 MHz and memory failure isn't really correlated to temperature, so I'd also avoid anything with gimmicky fans and such. I like Corsair, but not enough to throw the extra money at their feet. Unless the fan is worth $150. :p

Based on ... ?

well i read that info on NewEggs forums, but I admit I can't back it with fact.
Another note is that i just read about the new Sandy bridge processors coming out shortly and I may hold off a bit and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply.

NP.

AFAIK, the 2600K is very close in performance to the 980x, so you'd save ~$600 alone on the processor. That could go into much beefier GPUs to benefit most games. An SSD might be an option for you, too. You'd be "downgrading" to dual channel memory operation, but the performance difference should be minimal and you could land a 16 gig kit like this, instead.

Btw rflcptr,
Thanks for the RAM recommendation it looks flawless according to the comments. I just hope it will work with that mobo...

NP.

AFAIK, the 2600K is very close in performance to the 980x, so you'd save ~$600 alone on the processor. That could go into much beefier GPUs to benefit most games. An SSD might be an option for you, too.

Well that would certainly be worth the wait then. btw i did have an SSD PCI-e Revodrive picked out as well as a nVidia GTX 580 superclocked to go with it all.

Yeah, I generally use G.Skill in my builds and laptops. Inexpensive and haven't had a bad stick yet, but of course YMMV. If my experience with ASUS boards and G.Skill RAM are any indicator, you shouldn't have a compatibility issue.

I dislike the PCI-e SSDs, though. I'd rather have something with a common form factor and interface (SATA) to be able to swap amongst systems, and spare a mobo slot for something like a sound or RAID card, but that's just me.

Yeah, I generally use G.Skill in my builds and laptops. Inexpensive and haven't had a bad stick yet, but of course YMMV. If my experience with ASUS boards and G.Skill RAM are any indicator, you shouldn't have a compatibility issue.

I dislike the PCI-e SSDs, though. I'd rather have something with a common form factor and interface (SATA) to be able to swap amongst systems, and spare a mobo slot for something like a sound or RAID card, but that's just me.

yeah I have been doing alot of reading on this relatively new storage technology. Man they are fast! I think that once they become more stable (firmware/software/Installation) they will be the drives to get. I will have 2- 1tb SATA 6 drives in RAID 0 along with it and another 2 tb drive for common storage.

I am using that exact gskill ram with a 970 and this mobo.

The XMP profile is not working for me. I had to manually loosen trfc to 88and tfaw to 31 to get the board to post at 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v ddr3 1602. It is memtest86+ stable BUT not HCI memtest stable. I may need to loosen trfc and tfaw further and/or increase imc/mobo voltages.

I also manually keyed an uncore of 3204, set all those ram timings and ram voltage manually, and left everything else basically on auto.

Basically, I think the RAM will work, but it's not as easy as those egg reviews are saying, at least not for me :(

Last edited:
I am using that exact gskill ram with a 970 and this mobo.

The XMP profile is not working for me. I had to manually loosen trfc to 88and tfaw to 31 to get the board to post at 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v ddr3 1602. It is memtest86+ stable BUT not HCI memtest stable. I may need to loosen trfc and tfaw further and/or increase imc/mobo voltages.

I also manually keyed an uncore of 3204, set all those ram timings and ram voltage manually, and left everything else basically on auto.

Basically, I think the RAM will work, but it's not as easy as those egg reviews are saying, at least not for me :(

Wow! Thanks for the info.

Wow! Thanks for the info.

No problem. Now I'm reading that to reduce stress on the IMC, you should set your uncore freq between 1.66x and 1.84x ddr3 freq. you can go anywhere from 1.5x to 2x on gulftown, but apparently 1.75x is the sweet spot. gonna try running my uncore at ~2800mhz to see if that helps.

I have changed my mind again and will wait for the SandyBridge processor and mobo's for my upgrade. Thanks to everyone that offered their educated opinions.

Back