Memory for P55 motherboard

Silmatharien

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new computer and will overclock it. Going with an i5 750. It'll primarily be for gaming, programming and viewing HD media. Anyway, since these motherboards don't support triple channel I am really leaning towards going to 2 DIMMs of memory. My dilemma is that I'm either going to have to go for 4GB (2x2GB) or 8 GB (2x4GB) DIMMs.

The latter is substantially more expensive and I'm wondering if I'd even really benefit from using 8 GB vs. 4 when I stand to save $150 CAD.

Any suggestions? I have been out of the hardware loop for quite awhile.

In general, with a 750 CPU, I'd suggest going with some 1600 (C7, C8, or even C9) due to the locked memory multiplier. 4 x 2GB makes more sense for the rig you are building.

Well that would hinder my OCs wouldn't it? I'm not really sure if it's necessary that I have 8 GB of memory this point. I was wondering if 4 is enough or if I really should be thinking about 8.

Also looking at newegg.ca, I'm seeing C6 DDR3-1600 G-Skill RAM for about $20 more than the C7. Would the difference be worth it? The voltage is the same: 1.6V.

Last edited:
Back