Memory error with Far Cry, help?

AceTKK

Gawd
For some reason I'm having a problem playing Far Cry. When I first installed the game and patch everything worked fine until yesterday. When trying to start the game the monitor goes black, like the game is loading, and then I get this:

*Critical Exception*

Exception_Access_Violation

Attempt to read from Address 0x0000000000
the memory could not be "read"

and the game crashes. Today I uninstalled the game and re-installed the game and patch. The first time I ran it everything worked fine. Now, I'm getting the exact same error and can't play the game. My system specs are in sig, every other game/app is rock stable. Any ideas?

Thx,

-Ace-

Hello,

This is a tough one. My machine was doing the same thing to me before. Try the following. If your overclocked - stock clock it. If your memory timings are very low - slightly raise them. RUN MEMTEST!!!

If you are using a no cd patch , replace the exe with the original one. If none of this works uninstall the game and then reinstall. If you reinstall and it works test it a few times and then update to the latest patch. If it only does it with the latest patch... Well you see where im going.

Ive found that this error usually creeps out of nowhere on machines that are A.) Overclocked in some maner or B.) Machine that are hevialy tweaked ( eg software wise ) . For some reason there is something about 2K/XP that gets flaky in these configurations after a certain amount of time. I researched this error for hours and never really found a solid answer as to what causes it.

On my one machine I started to get this error in Medal Of Honor but everything else worked fine. I had no viruses / spyware ect on the machine they were both clean setups. Then it started to happen with Driver Cleaner and numerous other programs. I ran Memtest for 2 days with no errors and I could run Prime 95 all day with no problems. Eventually what I did was just a wipe and reload of XP and everything was "fine" again. I hope you found this information helpful. Good Luck!

Zachary

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm going to reduce my o/c and see if that helps.

-Ace-

Same problem here when I set the game video settings to high. If I cranked them down to medium, everything was okey dokey. Sometimes instead of blue screen I got massively corrupted screen image. I'm guessing in my case it was graphics card overheating due to overclocking.

Back