Memory divider question

rahavsmt

Gawd
I have a Q6600 running at 3.6Ghz on an Asus P5K vanilla. Now it is running at 400x9. I just bought an OCZ Reaper HPC Edition DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-8500U CL5-5-5-18.

The question is do I run the ram at 800Mhz using 1:1 ratio with tighter timings or use a divider to run it 1066Mhz with stock timings? Which one is faster? I did my research on these forums and by googling by I cant seem to get a clear answer. Some said its best to stick with 1:1 and some said its best to for the fastest speed. Im confused.

TIA!

well 1066 will give slightly better performance, might be harder to maintain stability too. I've found to need more NB voltage for 1066. Honestly the performance isnt worth it, unless you get the ram free ;)

having 1066 is nice cause you have a bigger cushion for overclocking with a lower multiplier CPU

I have a Q6600 running at 3.6Ghz on an Asus P5K vanilla. Now it is running at 400x9. I just bought an OCZ Reaper HPC Edition DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-8500U CL5-5-5-18.

The question is do I run the ram at 800Mhz using 1:1 ratio with tighter timings or use a divider to run it 1066Mhz with stock timings? Which one is faster? I did my research on these forums and by googling by I cant seem to get a clear answer. Some said its best to stick with 1:1 and some said its best to for the fastest speed. Im confused.

TIA!
I would run it at stock. Tighter timings just equals the need to overvolt and it's just not worth it. My ddr runs at 800mhz, 44412 @2.2v. The motherboard detects it as 55516 1.8v. I've benchmarked both and did not notice a difference so I'm considering just dropping it to the slower speed just to save on wear and tear.

Back