mem voltage kill cpu?

ALL4AMD

I Go to Court for Fun.
can running high voltage to memory kill a phenom? the other day my system hung and would never post after that. so today i took my system to a buddys house and put his dual core athlon in and it boots up. put my phenom in his board and system won't post.

the memory i have is geil 1066 ddr2 @ 2.35-2.45v

Not sure that I have heard of that before. I beat the hell out of my dominator's when I had my phenom. Was the mem vid the only thing you messed with? Could be that you are unlucky, and just got a bum chip. Can you send it back for RMA, or for a refund?

Not sure that I have heard of that before. I beat the hell out of my dominator's when I had my phenom. Was the mem vid the only thing you messed with? Could be that you are unlucky, and just got a bum chip. Can you send it back for RMA, or for a refund?

yeah i was wanting to run my ram @ its intended speed.

I think it came from here: http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php? threadid=69350

I noticed a lot of people are choosing to stay safely below 2.3v on the XS thread. :p

ah crap thats what i was afraid of

Ya..........another thread over at XS regarding this subject.......

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509

The 'Tony' in the posts works for OCZ and knows his shyte. Think you killed it, ALL4AMD:(

/edit.....This is an older thread for A64's, but it would follow that the Phenom should be handled similarly given it's basically the same arch/mem controller. The problem was more prevalent with DDR (higher volts needed) than it is now.

it turns out that it was the vdimm that killed my cpu. soon as newegg send me a replacement im not gonna go over 2.1 vdimm

it turns out that it was the vdimm that killed my cpu. soon as newegg send me a replacement im not gonna go over 2.1 vdimm

so you fried your chip by giving it loads of voltage, and then RMA'd it to newegg? shame on you.

so you fried your chip by giving it loads of voltage, and then RMA'd it to newegg? shame on you.

yeah i gave the memory its recommend voltage. i don't see anything on newegg or AMDs site that says i can't feed my memory its voltage. so the way i see it im entitled to RMA. since i hate downtime ill not feed that amout of voltage to the memory again.

ram.jpg

What was the SPD for that Geil? I ran some Geil with my Phenom and had all kinds of problems, I switched to Corsair Dominators and everything has been rock-solid since. Turns out it was the SPD for 1066: Geil didn't have it, Corsair did. Never toasted my CPU, though.

What was the SPD for that Geil? I ran some Geil with my Phenom and had all kinds of problems, I switched to Corsair Dominators and everything has been rock-solid since. Turns out it was the SPD for 1066: Geil didn't have it, Corsair did. Never toasted my CPU, though.

im not sure but i can get back to you once i get another cpu.

Back