Melting cpu and heatsink together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey it might not be that bad an idea, I mean if you could successfully pull if off... you'd have truly perfect contact between the cpu and heatsink. :p

Not really. It'll be extremely hard to get "perfect" contact.
Even if both parts are melted and attached together, there will be air bubbles and that would ruin the contact.

Come on......

Read the OP's posts. He's obviously savvy with computer parts, and knows how to read temps, voltage, knows how to overclock (presumably), and obviously how to put together a fanless watercooling system together vis a vi the reserator.

You're telling me somewhere along the way, after the OP's research into which components to buy and how to build the thing, he just happened to miss the part about using Artic Silver 5 or some other appropriate TIM when mating contact sufraces to the CPU heat spreader???

Give me a break. This thread reeks of flame bait.

Well, maybe he does know or maybe he doesn't. I'm not in a position to assume. And if it's just a big joke by him to be funny, then that'll be a bit sad. But either way, no point in assuming and jumping to conclusions. Even if he intentionally posted such questions knowing otherwise, people shouldn't get immature and stoop down to that level.

But hey, this world is not perfect.

Well... lessee - a silver solder with about 4% silver content has a melting point of about 225 degrees C and is fully liquid at about 280C, so there'd be thermal issues to deal with. Not to mention the problems of it being conductive.

Then there's the problem of solder alloys not really being that great a thermal interface material. And that it's prone to cracking, beading, getting airbubbles in it, etc.

I mean, lets just suggest going straight to molten copper (at 1083 degrees C) as a better alternative.

By better... I mean "just as retarded".

;)

Arctic Silver and other thermal compounds are specifically designed to do what they do best... transfer heat from one place to another. Thermally Arctic Silver is perfect for the job.

Solder does what it is designed to do, provide an electrical connection between two components with no electrical resistance.

Heat is not electricity. I don't think that the metal that solder is made of is would transfer heat as efficiently as TIM would. Like a poster above said, you would need a molten copper weld between the CPU and heatsink to ensure proper thermal perfection.

lol after reading this tread, i'm going to try it with a cheap C2D.

Here's my plan

Steps
1. Take base plate off Apogee GT
2. Flip base plate and put it on my flat grill ^_^
3. Heat up the GT base until solder floats onto it (only a little bit like a AS5 drop in the center)
4. Keep base hot on grill
5. Pickup cpu with pliers and have the IHS aimed at the melted
6. Slowly align and place cpu onto the GT base flattening out the solder (<10 secs)
7. Turn of heat quick and cool the cpu with a high speed fan (< 30 secs)
8. Put waterblock together
9. take off motherboard cpu retension flip

Now you have a cpu melted to a waterblock base. Should give good temps no?

Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy, one that is rated for electrical fires.

And if you have a spare C2D that you're going to waste like this... I'll trade you a P4 3.6 for it. :D

I suggest that instead of Arctic Silver or melting you use toothpaste. It transfers the heat better, I'm seriously.

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

nofibgraph2.gif

Thanks a lot for reminding me about dansdata... I just spent the last couplehours reading different articles.... ROFL :-D

Here's my plan

Steps
1. Take base plate off Apogee GT
2. Flip base plate and put it on my flat grill ^_^
3. Heat up the GT base until solder floats onto it (only a little bit like a AS5 drop in the center)
4. Keep base hot on grill
5. Pickup cpu with pliers and have the IHS aimed at the melted
6. Slowly align and place cpu onto the GT base flattening out the solder (<10 secs)
7. Turn of heat quick and cool the cpu with a high speed fan (< 30 secs)
8. Put waterblock together
9. take off motherboard cpu retension flip

Good luck. If it works, you're gonna be indirectly responsible for a new craze and the destruction of tens of thousands of CPUs :p

Hi, I'm new at this overclocking. A couple weeks ago I broke my computer because of too high temperature even when I'm using Zalman Reserator.

What is the best way to melt the CPU inside the heatsink? Can you just put solder between them and melt them together? I have WBT Silver Solder.

Are there any places where I can buy modded CPU's from?
ok here's how you do it, take some super glue, mix it with vasaline, then, lather it on to your CPU with your finger, use a glove too, now, clamp the heatsink on quickly after.

Hope that works! :)

[;)]

ok here's how you do it, take some super glue, mix it with vasaline, then, lather it on to your CPU with your finger, use a glove too, now, clamp the heatsink on quickly after.

Hope that works! :)

[;)]

You forgot to add... "Then take the gloved finger and shove it where the sun don't shine and start wiggling till the glue hardens, then go see a doctor and try and explain it..."

:D

Actually I was trying to trick the guy into ruining his CPU and wasting the money he spent on his hardware by showing him a dumb way of ''melting'' the cpu to the heatsink.

the guy needs to know it's not possible, and since he still thinks he can, I'll take him for advantage and ruin some one's week/money, but he probably figured it was a trick halfway into the experiment.

What's your ambient temps?
How tight are you installing the heatsinks?
How are you monitoring the temps?

Soldering the CPU isn't the best thing to do. What happens if the CPU dies? You have no way to removed the CPU now since the latching bar is under the heatsink. Somethimes removing the Heatsink will yank the CPU out with it just from the bonding of the thermal paste, but I wouldn't want to rely on it. I'd be afraid of ripping the socket up with it.

On page 2 they also tested some intresting TIM ideas...

nofibgraph2b.gif

Wow and there you have it folks! next time your lookin for something to shoot with your johnsons liquid bullets, just throw that manchester/toledo in the toilet bowl! (for the ladies who dont get this, if a guy sees something in the toilet bowl, pretty much every guy in existance will try to sink it)

Guys this patrick82 guy is some kind of troll putz.

I did a search on teh Google. I found a few other troll threads on other hardware enthusiast forums, as well as on some audiophile forums.

His audiophile stuff seems to be knowledgeable and sane. However everytime he comes to a hardware enthusiast site/forum, his stuff is so ridiculous it's almost comical. I'm not sure if its intentional or if he's just insane.

Look at this gem, entitled "Which hard drive is best for sound?" In which he claims his hard drive was making his music sound "edgy" until he underclocked his system.

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=25609&mode=threaded

Lol.I don't know whos' the bigger fool,this patrick82 guy for posting dribble or me for reading every friggin' word of this thread.

Now... if you could disassemble the base of a heatpipe cooler, and suspend the heatpipes in a mold upside down, fill the mold with JB Weld... then drop the cpu on top...

then you'd be a retard with a JB Welded cpu hsf!

:D

Guys this patrick82 guy is some kind of troll putz.

I did a search on teh Google. I found a few other troll threads on other hardware enthusiast forums, as well as on some audiophile forums.

His audiophile stuff seems to be knowledgeable and sane. However everytime he comes to a hardware enthusiast site/forum, his stuff is so ridiculous it's almost comical. I'm not sure if its intentional or if he's just insane.

Look at this gem, entitled "Which hard drive is best for sound?" In which he claims his hard drive was making his music sound "edgy" until he underclocked his system.

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=25609&mode=threaded
Hahahaha, check this out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11465104#post11465104

Video 7 is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfpWg6OScas
This made my day.:D

Wow I can't believe you guys took this so far lmao. It was obvious by the end of the first page that the OP was joking.

But it's given us a good idea! Respect to anyone who actually tries it out (as long as he's doing it in the knowledge that it isn't the norm and he risks ALL his hardware).

No, I'm not joking. I'm always serious with all my hobbies. As you can see from the pictures of my audio hobby, I mutilate everything for better audio: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=881010

I completed my audio hobby and now it's time for another hobby. Based on my experience with audio I know that having paste (QuickSilver Contact Enhancer) in between connections gives worse sound even when it makes the contact area bigger. Hardwiring everything with solder improves the sound. Many audiophiles do that.

Maybe I entered the wrong forum, I though this forum was for hard tweakers who are serious about their systems.

Instead of polishing the CPU like sissy girl, why not remove the paste and make a proper connection? I don't see what is the problem. Why don't the CPU manufacturers integrate the CPU and heatsink together instead of giving primitive cooling that you need to attach with paste?

No, I'm not joking. I'm always serious with all my hobbies. As you can see from the pictures of my audio hobby, I mutilate everything for better audio: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=881010

I completed my audio hobby and now it's time for another hobby. Based on my experience with audio I know that having paste (QuickSilver Contact Enhancer) in between connections gives worse sound even when it makes the contact area bigger. Hardwiring everything with solder improves the sound. Many audiophiles do that.

Maybe I entered the wrong forum, I though this forum was for hard tweakers who are serious about their systems.

Instead of polishing the CPU like sissy girl, why not remove the paste and make a proper connection? I don't see what is the problem. Why don't the CPU manufacturers integrate the CPU and heatsink together instead of giving primitive cooling that you need to attach with paste?

I'm still not fully convinced you're serious, so I hope I don't make an ass of myself by replying to this, but keep in mind that a normal setup goes:

actual core >> thermal paste >> heatspreader >> thermal paste >> heatsink.

-or- if you're a fan of TLAs (three-letter-acronyms):

CPU >> TIM >> IHS >> TIM >> HSF

Even if you have a solid metal connection between the IHS and the HSF, the heat transfer will still be impeded (albeit not by much) by the contact between the core and the IHS. And putting metal straight onto the die would be a bad idea. Just keep in mind that this would still not make a "perfect" heat conductor.

If there is an actual problem, then it's time to go to the next step in troubleshooting.

I'm still not fully convinced you're serious, so I hope I don't make an ass of myself by replying to this, but keep in mind that a normal setup goes:

actual core >> thermal paste >> heatspreader >> thermal paste >> heatsink.

-or- if you're a fan of TLAs (three-letter-acronyms):

CPU >> TIM >> IHS >> TIM >> HSF

Even if you have a solid metal connection between the IHS and the HSF, the heat transfer will still be impeded (albeit not by much) by the contact between the core and the IHS. And putting metal straight onto the die would be a bad idea. Just keep in mind that this would still not make a "perfect" heat conductor.

If there is an actual problem, then it's time to go to the next step in troubleshooting.
Ok, so they put the TIM and IHS there as protection for the HSF? Is it because the CPU is sensitive to vibration from the fan? Why not just hang the fan so it's not touching the heatsink? The case would be completely passive without any vibrations. I will use Magix magnetic levitation feet for the chassis to also stop ground vibrations.

DUDE WTF? Are you an alien? It seems like you have no common sense, no offense. Us earthlings don't use strange feet for our cases, or at least to my understanding we don't...

No, the thermal paste is there so there is the best possible heat transfer between the chip and the heatsink.

DUDE WTF? Are you an alien? It seems like you have no common sense, no offense. Us earthlings don't use strange feet for our cases, or at least to my understanding we don't...
I have my whole audio system levitating, it gives better sound.

No, the thermal paste is there so there is the best possible heat transfer between the chip and the heatsink.
The paste is there to fill in the imperfections right? So if you remove the imperfections you get better heat transfer and you don't need any paste. To get proper heat transfer you need to have the CPU and heatsink made from one piece.

If heat doesn't work, then how about freezing them together?

Ok, so they put the TIM and IHS there as protection for the HSF? Is it because the CPU is sensitive to vibration from the fan? Why not just hang the fan so it's not touching the heatsink? The case would be completely passive without any vibrations. I will use Magix magnetic levitation feet for the chassis to also stop ground vibrations.

Please, stop making a fool of yourself. The IHS is not there because of vibrations. The IHS is there because otherwise people could damage the chips themselves, cracking them, chipping them, shorting the pins, etc. It has nothing to do with vibrations. As said, it is possible to remove the IHS and mount it directly, but there is NO NEED to do this in your situtation. While you may consider yourself very serious about your hobbies, you need some help with your computer construction skills. It can be very simple to do once you learn, but you are obviously having some difficulties.

Get a friend who has a successfully hand-built computer to help you mount the heatsink. Use your XP-120 and the Papst fan, and also use artic silver 5. Make sure you and your friend are following the directions VERY CLOSELY. You should first clean your processor and heatsink of ALL GOOP AND THERMAL PASTE using rubbing alcohol and coffee filters (they are dust-free). Do not touch the surface where they mate. Then, follow both the instructions for the Artic Silver5 and the XP120 mounting for your processor. You will not need to use much paste, it is usually around the size of an uncooked grain of rice and a half. If your ambient temperatures are around 27 or 28C, your processor really should not idle above 40 on the XP120 with stock clocks and voltages.

Also, make sure the airflow going INTO and OUT OF your case is completely clear. You also need at least one 80MM fan exhausting from your case. Maybe if you post some pictures of hour your computer is positioned, and the build inside, maybe we can help diagnose what you are failing to do.

If you still don't understand that, or choose not to ask for help from a friend, I have two other points of advice for you.

A) take your computer parts to a computer shop or computer repair place, and get them to set it up properly for you
B) sell all the parts, and buy a pre-built computer.

Patrick, I think it's enough now. You made your point that you have nothing better to do than to make an account on various forums and waste your time making yourself look foolish.

I don't think the people here are amused by it anymore, so please take it somewhere else. Or maybe go out and play with your buddies or something.

Just Google "patrick82" you'll find this guy is a well-known forum troll, he putzes around on various forums making thinly veiled advertisements for audio products.

On this forum though, which is not strictly for audiophiles, he had to make up some PC-related nonsense to try and veil his poor attempts at advertisement, unfortunately for him, his rambling just makes him look crazy, as he doesnt know enough about PC hardware to fool anyone.

Please, stop making a fool of yourself. The IHS is not there because of vibrations. The IHS is there because otherwise people could damage the chips themselves, cracking them, chipping them, shorting the pins, etc. It has nothing to do with vibrations. As said, it is possible to remove the IHS and mount it directly, but there is NO NEED to do this in your situtation. While you may consider yourself very serious about your hobbies, you need some help with your computer construction skills. It can be very simple to do once you learn, but you are obviously having some difficulties.
In audio they sometimes put goo between components on the PCB to reduce vibrations.

Get a friend who has a successfully hand-built computer to help you mount the heatsink. Use your XP-120 and the Papst fan, and also use artic silver 5. Make sure you and your friend are following the directions VERY CLOSELY. You should first clean your processor and heatsink of ALL GOOP AND THERMAL PASTE using rubbing alcohol and coffee filters (they are dust-free). Do not touch the surface where they mate. Then, follow both the instructions for the Artic Silver5 and the XP120 mounting for your processor. You will not need to use much paste, it is usually around the size of an uncooked grain of rice and a half. If your ambient temperatures are around 27 or 28C, your processor really should not idle above 40 on the XP120 with stock clocks and voltages.

Also, make sure the airflow going INTO and OUT OF your case is completely clear. You also need at least one 80MM fan exhausting from your case. Maybe if you post some pictures of hour your computer is positioned, and the build inside, maybe we can help diagnose what you are failing to do.

If you still don't understand that, or choose not to ask for help from a friend, I have two other points of advice for you.

A) take your computer parts to a computer shop or computer repair place, and get them to set it up properly for you
B) sell all the parts, and buy a pre-built computer.
I have followed the directions closely for 4 years ever since I built my first computer. I use Isopropyl alcohol with Q-tips to clean both surfaces before I put the Arctic Silver on. Then I use a plastic card and a thin layer of paste. But I don't like the end result, I tried for hours and it didn't get good.

Just Google "patrick82" you'll find this guy is a well-known forum troll, he putzes around on various forums making thinly veiled advertisements for audio products.

On this forum though, which is not strictly for audiophiles, he had to make up some PC-related nonsense to try and veil his poor attempts at advertisement, unfortunately for him, his rambling just makes him look crazy, as he doesnt know enough about PC hardware to fool anyone.
It was already proven I'm not a troll but people still keep calling me that.

I don't make advertisements, I don't even live in the same country as the products I'm using in my system. What about all the people who are raving about CPU's? They are making advertisements themselves.

Patrick, I think it's enough now. You made your point that you have nothing better to do than to make an account on various forums and waste your time making yourself look foolish.

Who is the fool, the one who asks a serious question or the one who laughs at the serious question?

I don't think the people here are amused by it anymore, so please take it somewhere else. Or maybe go out and play with your buddies or something.
It stops being funny when people realize everything I said was true. It happens in every forum I visit.

One question.. Are you rich? Where do you get all this money from?

I'm very poor, I just spend all my money on the hobby I'm doing. I don't do anything else. I don't even go outside.

I still don't see what is the problem. Why don't people want better heat transfer from CPU to heatsink? It should be obvious but people just laugh. Can you point me to the correct forum where people take me seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back