Meltin is Making Robotic Avatars for Space Work

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
IEEE Spectrum reports that the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, along with several other companies, are working with ANA to pursue the Avatar XPRIZE. The goal is to build robotic, remotely piloted avatars as a substitute for humans in dangerous work. One such company, Meltin, is already prepping a robotic avatar for ground based tests, while tests on the ISS are supposed to begin around 2020.

Check out the MELETANT robot in action here.

Be it in space, on the moon’s surface, or on the surface of mars, long-distance remote control robots like MELTANT will protect astronauts from the dangers of space while lowering the high cost of space missions. It will bring about improvements in safety, efficiency, and cost effectiveness to contribute to the advancement of space technology and the creation of usable regions in space.

Is it just me or does Boston Dynamics seem to be way ahead of everyone in this field?

Is it just me or does Boston Dynamics seem to be way ahead of everyone in this field?
Boston Dynamics has some very advanced mobility for sure, but I think the point here is the overall hand dexterity that MELETANT offers. I have seen nothing from BD with actual hands with fingers that articulate like a human... yet...

they really need to get something like this working soon. it will really help out working in space. Gone will be the long suit up times, and it will allow for longer EVA for the simple reason the human can go take a piss break without it killing the mission LOL

Boston Dynamics has the best active feedback and integrated sensor systems the communicate quickly. It's basically a neural net of small computing devices talking to each other from what I can tell. But that's for a gravity environment. It's a whole new ballgame in space.

Interesting stuff, but please keep them away from those in healthcare. I already have enough trouble as it is with my prostate...

Back