Meizu's "Super mCharge" Tech Will Juice up Your Phone in 20 Minutes

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is this the battery-charging breakthrough we’ve been waiting for? At MWC, Meizu demonstrated the potential of their Super mCharge technology by charging a 3000mAh device from 0% to 100% in 18 minutes. Your first concern is probably how badly it degrades the battery, but they claim that 80% original capacity is retained even after 800 charge cycles.

Currently, even the fastest-charging phones take around an hour and a half to get their batteries fully recharged: the Galaxy S7 takes 1 hour and 28 minutes, the OnePlus 3T is a bit faster with its Dash Charge at 1 hour and 25 minutes, while the Google Pixel is slower at 2 hours, while the iPhone 7 takes an excruciatingly long 2 hours and 21 minutes. Meizu's new technology would certainly be a huge improvement over current tech. So how would Meizu pull this off? The company says it has developed an "upgraded data cable" and couple with clever circuitry in the charger itself and on the phone, it is able to deliver a 11V/5A electrical current, for a total power of the impressive 55 watts.

already here....my wife uses it and loves it.

The Moto X Pure Edition has Turbo Charging, which is Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 2.0 technology. Motorola is claiming that this is the world’s fastest quick charging phone, probably partly because they are selling it with a Turbo Charger that pushes more juice than other quick charging chargers. In the right scenario, you can technically grab 10 hours worth of power in 15 minutes time. That’s probably more like 2 hours of real usage in 15 minutes, but still, that’s a big deal. For a full charge, while I didn’t exactly keep track, it certainly seemed like I was grabbing full charges in about an hour.

Li batteries charge better with higher voltages. It allows them to shoot through more incorrectly aligned anodes to reach one that will actually take the charge. This is similar to how if you stand 1 meter from a 120V source you aren't going to get shocked. But if you stand 1 meter from a 1 billion volt source (ie: Lightening...) Chances are you are going to get zapped. It's more of a brute force method and does indeed generate more heat. But you can lower the amp rate a bit to help compensate.

Lets push even more voltage from some $3 cost downed/knock off chargers through likely miswired USB-type C cables into Chinese handsets with non existent after purchase support. What could possibly go wrong.

already here....my wife uses it and loves it.

Yeah, I was thinking as much myself. While my Moto X's battery has fallen off a cliff, it charges VERY quickly. Not exactly 100% in 18 minutes, but it will do about a 50% charge in 15 minutes. The last 20% (from 80-100%) takes forever, though.

When it's all said and done, I think I'd still rather have longer battery life to begin with. I usually only charge my phone at night or when I'm using it all the time and it's low. In both instances, speed doesn't matter as much if the phone didn't get so low to begin with.

A battery cooker might be good for the occasional emergency charge. Use it all the time and prepare for early battery death.

Instead just charge your battery using the recommended charger and don't let the battery get below 25%. Enjoy longer battery life etc...

A battery cooker might be good for the occasional emergency charge. Use it all the time and prepare for early battery death.

Instead just charge your battery using the recommended charger and don't let the battery get below 25%. Enjoy longer battery life etc...

This.
I charged my S3 phone overnight using a older slow charger, and also topped it up during the day at work with an older/slower charger.
Rarely got below 20%, and battery didn't get hot on the slow chargers.
Used it for over 3 years and the battery was still good. Meanwhile some people I work with where replacing their batteries after just 2 years.

Other than the occasion quick charge (using the charger that came with the phone), I'm doing the same on my Note 4, although it will take a couple more years to see if it worked. :p

Yeah, I was thinking as much myself. While my Moto X's battery has fallen off a cliff, it charges VERY quickly. Not exactly 100% in 18 minutes, but it will do about a 50% charge in 15 minutes. The last 20% (from 80-100%) takes forever, though.

When it's all said and done, I think I'd still rather have longer battery life to begin with. I usually only charge my phone at night or when I'm using it all the time and it's low. In both instances, speed doesn't matter as much if the phone didn't get so low to begin with.

My LG G5 has the super charge ability. I bought an upgraded charger off Amazon for it to be even faster than the one in the box (iirc, one in the box is QC2 and the G5 supports QC3).

It's definitely a bonus as you can throw it on there and get a good boost before you leave the house.

You can get a new battery for less than $10.

Oh right..this is one of those sealed battery designs that makes that hard..

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

You can get a new battery for less than $10.

Oh right..this is one of those sealed battery designs that makes that hard..

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

Nothing a heat gun and guitar picks won't fix.

Nothing a heat gun and guitar picks won't fix.

Which is why I said hard, not impossible. Obviously some of us would change the battery anyhow. The average person won't. They will just complain about battery life and keep buying poorly designed phones encouraging OEMs to keep designing anti consumer bullshit.

OK. Have fun taking apart your $700 phone to replace the battery.

And my better option is what?

Repaired 1 XBox360 RROD
Repaired 3 tablet screens (Kids)
Repaired 2 phones
Replaced 4 batteries
Repaired 3 laptop screens (Kids 2 me 1)
Repaired 4 laptop keyboards (Kids..they liked popping off the chiclet keys which snap easy)
Replaced memory and hard drive on a sealed HP unit (Now that was bull shit as you had to take out everything to reach the bottom of the motherboard.)

So two burglers walk by a house and the
1st burgler says, "Hey lets rob that place!"
2nd burgler says, "Nah. They have two boys. All the good shit is already broken"

Back