Meh, Newegg 10% off all BTC-paid purchases.

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/14-3631/index.html

Not that its at all freaking possible bitcoin wont go up 11% in value by the time you get your hardware, never, ever :D

Newegg 10% off all BTC purchases.

Promo code: BITCOIN
Max discount: $100
Not with other discounts
Doesnt apply to giftcards.

And again, meh.

Not that its at all freaking possible bitcoin wont go up 11% in value by the time you get your hardware, never, ever :D

Irrelevant. You can give them actual money, but you could have also invested that money in the stock market and had a chance for it to grow as well.

There is always opportunity cost in spending your money like this.

not valid with other discounts?

sheesh. who buys from newegg unless there's a promo code?

But, with newegg taking btc payment, it is increasing the availability of btc into the market and could cause a minor effect on btc prices if newegg starts getting tens of thousands of dollars worth of btc transactions.

it's a good way to spend btc and get goods without having to worry about the IRS or banks flag your account for large deposits.

BTC is the future - get on the bus now or regret it forever. Can't wait for it to head to the moon so I can build any computers I want for 10% off! (And be retired...)

Hardforum hates cryptocurrency
and newegg

:-O

Last edited:
This is probably a real dumb question, and I am embarrassed even to admit this, but how can one go and buy bitcoin and pay with it without spending 6 hours learning about BTC?

I have spent a little time reading up on it but I think the gist is I would need to make a wallet and store it on my computer then send money to an exchange direct from my bank account and wait for it to clear THEN I can spend my BTC... is that right? Sounds like by the time I accomplish that any discount/deal would be long gone...

This is probably a real dumb question, and I am embarrassed even to admit this, but how can one go and buy bitcoin and pay with it without spending 6 hours learning about BTC?

I have spent a little time reading up on it but I think the gist is I would need to make a wallet and store it on my computer then send money to an exchange direct from my bank account and wait for it to clear THEN I can spend my BTC... is that right? Sounds like by the time I accomplish that any discount/deal would be long gone...

www.coinbase.com

Thank me later.

...they're selling a "bitcoin kit" based on video cards?
Didn't that go unfeasible economically like a year ago?

...they're selling a "bitcoin kit" based on video cards?
Didn't that go unfeasible economically like a year ago?

Earlier this year for altcoins but yes.

There are still a few clingers hopping on mining rando altcoins but unless you have free electricity or are ideologically motivated it's a dumb idea to even think about crypto mining right now.

Yep - wait for Bitcoin to jump to $3200 later this year and it will once again be profitable to mine them. Winklevoss twins FTW!

Yep - wait for Bitcoin to jump to $3200 later this year and it will once again be profitable to mine them. Winklevoss twins FTW!

This same wishfully flawed logic has been making the rounds since the early days of bitcoin.

500% in the next few months? :rolleyes:

NewEgg must be trying to squeeze a bit more mileage out of the BTC-fueled video card buying mania while they still can.

Regarding the NewEgg deal: Keep in mind that you'll be out USD<->BTC transaction fees as well as any slippage related to the relatively wide BTC spread. You'll be buying at the high end of the spread but NewEgg will almost certainly calculate your BTC value at the low end of the spread. BTC market fluctuations can also change your purchasing power between the time you buy your BTC and spend them at NewEgg, but that can go either way at the moment.

10% still seems like a generous discount from NewEgg, though.

Made a purchase a few days ago and the exchange rate with bitpay was very good. Saw this on the site:
What exchange rate do my customers get?

BitPay always offers the best exchange rate on the market. We pool the order books of all active bitcoin exchanges, and find the best bid worldwide. We call this the Bitcoin Best Bid (BBB) rate, and it is our only rate. We offer the BBB rate to all customers with no additional fee.

My rate was $627/btc, which was Coinbase's rate at the time. BTC-E was $609, and bitstamp+bitfinex were in the 610s. Considering Coinbase's much higher fees otherwise, this was pretty nice.

Back