meh.. had to buy video card due to failure got RX 580 8GB

atarione

2[H]4U
So... the ancient HD6870 in my wife's pc ate it yesterday

I have (/had) a i7-4770K / 16GB/ hd7950 ..etc I have had for ~5years now..

Given that I hadn't planned on buying a video card yesterday I didn't want to spend a fortune.. picked up a BF special XFX RX-580 Black Edition card at BB because I needed a card "now" ..

It is ok... I game at 1080p and honestly I only ever play CS:GO (95% of the time at least) .. frame rates are a fair bit better..

I was planning on getting a new pc next year, I imagine this RX-580 will go to my wife in about that time frame..

Not super excited about buying a 580 this deep into it's life cycle but i am quite pleased the video card didn't die a few months ago when this would have been a $400??? whatever don't remember some over priced rip off of a card however.

The HD 6870 did certainly live a long time ... must have been 10~ years we've had it (it was in my pc for a bit and then in the wife's pc since).

wasn't sure if the 590 was worth the $90~ dollars more.. and couldn't find any in-stock anyways.. not sure if i made the best call ?? but on the upside my wife's computer is working again / I have something of a upgrade.

Last edited:
If ordering and waiting wasn't an option, there's only so many choices for local places that sell stuff like that. 590 imho wouldn't have been worth the extra $90 but that's just me.

You def made the right call buying the 580 instead of the overpriced 590.

ENJOY!

580 best bang for buck currently and does excellently at 1080p. Perfect choice really!

great new .. thanx everyone.. i feel pretty spiffy about the RX 580 choice now indeed.. thank goodness video card prices have become a bit more sane .. I would have been mad af to have bought one of these for $400+ some months ago..

card seems quite good so far.. not any louder than my old card (i can't hear it .. in my NZXT H630 case.. also why I though a case this big was a good idea 5 years ago.. I don't know.. but this case is huge and heavy... going to get a new case next year when I upgrade I think).

Did you try cooking the dead card?

nah.... i didn't entirely want to buy a new 580 but i didn't entirely not want a new 580 =p I took it out dusted it / reseated it / plugged cables back in and it was still dead...and i was all "bummer I guess I need to buy a RX 580 so you can have my old card"

From a HD6870 to a RX 580 should be almost 3 times the performance I would think .. It would be like crossfire HD 7950 performance which is nice at $200 with free games .

I was exactly in your same shoes a few months ago when my GPU died... and I had to buy my 580 (Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580) at the end of the mining bubble - but few regrets.
the 580 does perform very well for 1080 gaming and I can't afford to buy a 1440p gaming monitor just yet. By then, we'll (hopefully) have 7mn Navi cards by this time next year.

Why the doom and gloom lol? The 580 and Vega 56 cards are the only cards worth buying on the AMD side right now...

580 is nice.

I jumped on the ~$130 8GB 570 a few weeks ago and am pleasantly surprised with its performance.

lol.. I saw bb site shows this same card for $300 now..

anyways no doom no gloom.. just having passed on upgrading my HD7950 for this long I had figured I wait for next gen cards before upgrading ..but the 580 is quite nice and my frame rates are much better on CS:GO.. and my wife is enjoying her pc working / the HD7950 so for $200 it is all good. .. I would have waited for shipping if it had been $300 however .. glad I could get it local that day for $199.

The 590 doesn't have a whole lot over the 580 TBH. Not missing much there.

my hope is that once the 3 free game deal dies they'll drop the price to 229-240 then it would make a little more sense to buy it if some one didn't plan on playing those games anyways. but the 580 at sub 200 dollars is a damn good deal given how expensive the 1060 6GB still is.

You should be getting, like, 400+ FPS on CSGO sith the 580, don't know why you're so disappointed...

Back