MegaWorks 550 5.1? Or maybe one of these others...?

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
Late to the thread, but I'll comment:

Yes and no. It won't be dolby digital encoded (and then decoded) so it will sound different, but you should have access to 5.1 surround regardless. CPU overhead should not be affected.
Ask someone who owns one of these suckers for details.

First, I have an nForce2 board with SoundStorm.

You DO NOT want to just get the MW550 without a Dolby Digital decoder.

The nForce2 boards have two types of output (as commented on above):
Analog (3 jacks to get 5.1 sound)
Digital (one jack - outputs digital.)

Now, internally, everything is digital, obviously. But, you hear in analog, so somewhere a digital-analog conversion must happen.

If you use the MW550 without a digital decoder, and plug it into the analog output of the board, that conversion is being done by your motherboard's SUPER CRAPPY AC97 CODEC. You don't want to do this, you won't like it.

What you want is a speaker set that accepts digital input (IE., has a built-in digital-analog converter) or an analog speaker set (MW550) with the understanding you'll also need to buy a Dolby Digital decoder to stick between the analog speakers and your motherboard's digital out.

You just really, really, really don't want to go with an analog-only out.

Now, as to the GMX 5.1s you mentioned earlier.....I like them. They DO have a hiss (as noted by many reviewers)....but most comments about it are exhaggerated. First, it's not as bad as the Logitech Z-680 hiss in any case. Secondly, it's *only* noticeable when you have your speakers cranked to max volume with your mobo cranked to max volume....and aren't playing anything.

As soon as you output *any* sound to them, you aren't going to hear any hiss at all. Further, unless you built a 'silent PC', you probably won't hear it over your PC fans ever.

It's just a result of the gain being factory set on the fairly high side. It's really not a problem. I'd say....if I paid $600 for them, I'd be unhappy. For $400 I'd be a little grumpy, but fairly happy overall. They are running for just around $200 now, and for that price, it's hard to argue with their quality. They do *SOUND GREAT*. I mean, they can fill an office with a painful amount of sound without getting anywhere near max volume. And you'd be hard pressed, even at an uncomfortable volume, to notice any flaws in the audio reproduction. They just sound really, really good. I'm not an audiophile, either, so I'm at a lack of technical terms to describe it. I'd just call it clean and crisp sounding.

They do have a built-in Dolby Digital decoded, so you can get 5.1 sound out of your motherboard using the digital out.

And, yeah, they do look pretty damn sexy. Bigger than they look -my PC. That's a 17" LCD for comparison. (Sorry about the brightness of the LCD, it's late and dark here, had to have the camera hold the shutter open for 3 full seconds to get that shot).

Thanks for the info, dderidex.

I'm not too keen on buying a separate DD decoder. It would make the whole package cost too much. I feared that something like what you told me would happen if I used analog with this motherboard, because nowhere have I found anything saying it's acceptible to do so instead of using the SoundStorm digital.

But you like the GMX D-5.1s, huh? You'd take them over the Z-680s? I know they are only 100 W RMS, but that doesn't always mean much (my stereo is 60 W RMS, and it and be very loud and push massive bass). I'm not worried abut a hiss - my PC is a loud mother, and I've had PC speakers that hiss right in front of me before. And those things do look smaller than what they really are in real life!

Basically what I want is a system that can be loud but not very loud, bass but not crazy bass, and good sound reproduction without any noticable dips or highs in the spectrum. The room I'd use them in is about 18 feet x 12 feet. I'd like to have the satillites in the corners of the walls up near the ceiling, with the sub probably to my rear right, and center right in front of me. Do you think they'd be loud enough to hurt my ears if I wanted to crank it in games or movies? :D

Back