MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i F/W is in fault state

oldy

Weaksauce
hi

i just got my new (used) server with this card but cant get access to its sitting

i get this error message :

F/W is in fault state - MFI register state 0xF0FF2102

specs :
LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i card

X8DTN+ Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5620 2.4ghz Quad Core 12mb Cache 5.86 GT/s
8x 4gb DDR3 Memory

Yes, that's an error with the boot-time BIOS and hopefully the cards functionality in Windows is unaffected. That should let you install drivers and re-flash the firmware to hopefully fix this issue.

Can you boot into Windows with the LSI Raid card installed?

there is no OS installed yet (i just bought the server and the card separately)
Yes, that's an error with the boot-time BIOS and hopefully the cards functionality in Windows is unaffected. That should let you install drivers and re-flash the firmware to hopefully fix this issue.

how can i do that ? (i am noobie in this area)
shoul i re-install the card firmware or the MoBo firmware ?
and how can i get into bios sitting in this case

thanks

there is no OS installed yet (i just bought the server and the card separately)

how can i do that ? (i am noobie in this area)
shoul i re-install the card firmware or the MoBo firmware ?
and how can i get into bios sitting in this case

thanks

Pull the raid card and get Windows installed.(or use another computer that has Windows installed already)
Once Windows is installed, reinstall the raid card and boot into Windows.

Download the Latest MegaRAID Storage Manager for Windows
Here(http://docs.avagotech.com/docs/15.11.00.13_Windows.zip)

Download the Latest Firmware for you 9271-8i
Here(http://docs.avagotech.com/docs/12355039-23-34-0-0005)

Install MegaRAID Storage Manager and log in using the computer's credentials(user name is Administrator)

Once in the MegaRAID Storage Manager you will see under Actions "Update firmware" Click it and select the new bios and it will flash the bios you downloaded onto the Raid card.

All of the downloads for your card can be found Here(http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-sas-9271-8i#downloads)

thanks

i get this after the installation of the MSM and dont now how to log in ?

also to verify the connections between backplane's and the raid card
these are the mini sas connectors (SFF-8087) the 24 backplane have 3 and 2 of them came already linked to other two in the 12 backplane (which only have 2 mini sas connectors) so i linked the mid one (which was empty) on the 24 backplane to port 0 on raid card like in this table :

24 backplane ||a||b||a||
12 backplane ||a||a||
raid card ||b||nothing||

is this the correct way to connect the backplane's to the raid card ?

backplane's are sas2 model

Last edited:
Your raid card has to be installed in order for the MSM to show in the list. You will need to shut down the computer, install the raid card, and you should see 1 after you bring it back up. Once it appears in the list and you click on it, it will ask you to log in.

Also disconnect everything from the raid card until after you flash the FW.

Did you install MSM as complete? If you are only going to manage it locally then install MSM as StandAlone.

also to verify the connections between backplane's and the raid card
these are the mini sas connectors (SFF-8087) the 24 backplane have 3 and 2 of them came already linked to other two in the 12 backplane (which only have 2 mini sas connectors) so i linked the mid one (which was empty) on the 24 backplane to port 0 on raid card like in this table :

24 backplane ||a||b||a||
12 backplane ||a||a||
raid card ||b||nothing||

is this the correct way to connect the backplane's to the raid card ?

backplane's are sas2 model

No, that looks like a stupid connection scheme.

Unless you are cascading (i.e., chaining multiple chassis'es to each other), the Supermicro recommended configuration for maximum performance is simply to connect each port of the RAID card to only one backplane. See image from manual below (note that the CBL-0352L-LP dashed line going to the empty ports on the backplane is simply an internal SAS to external SAS PCI adapter you use if you want to cascade -- it has 2 ports, one for each backplane, so its not "joining" the two backplanes in any way -- IGNORE IT):

LbiXpAh.png

Edit: there is another possible configuration which allows you to dual-link the 24-port backplane and cascade it to single-link the 12-port backplane, but it's not worth considering unless you are going to be filling the 24-port backplane with SSDs instead of regular hard drives.

Your raid card has to be installed in order for the MSM to show in the list. You will need to shut down the computer, install the raid card, and you should see 1 after you bring it back up. Once it appears in the list and you click on it, it will ask you to log in.

Also disconnect everything from the raid card until after you flash the FW.

Did you install MSM as complete? If you are only going to manage it locally then install MSM as StandAlone.

the raid card is installed already (after installing the OS i shutdown the server and install the raid card then bring it up)

yes i installed the MSM as complete should i re-install it ?

No, that looks like a stupid connection scheme.

Unless you are cascading (i.e., chaining multiple chassis'es to each other), the Supermicro recommended configuration for maximum performance is simply to connect each port of the RAID card to only one backplane. See image from manual below (note that the CBL-0352L-LP dashed line going to the empty ports on the backplane is simply an internal SAS to external SAS PCI adapter you use if you want to cascade -- it has 2 ports, one for each backplane, so its not "joining" the two backplanes in any way -- IGNORE IT):

LbiXpAh.png

Edit: there is another possible configuration which allows you to dual-link the 24-port backplane and cascade it to single-link the 12-port backplane, but it's not worth considering unless you are going to be filling the 24-port backplane with SSDs instead of regular hard drives.

i thought so thanks !

the raid card is installed already (after installing the OS i shutdown the server and install the raid card then bring it up)

Try to install as StandAlone and see if it shows up.

Is the card showing up in device manager at all?

Fully update 2012 R2 via Windows Update. After that right click on LSI MegaRAID SAS Adapter in Device manager and uninstall it. Reboot and try to reinstall the LSI drivers.

I'm betting the borked firmware is what causing it not to start. You're going to need to do a usb boot and flash it from the cli.

sorry but how can i do that?

You should also be able to use the command line to clear the firmware and reflash it. You'll need the megarec.exe and the latest firmware.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...u-megarec-sas2flash-and-megaoem-commands.457/

This explains how to crossflash an LSI card, the procedure should be the same since you're clearing the existing firmware.

http://www.servethehome.com/flash-ibm-serveraid-m5014-lsi-92608i-firmware/

Back