MegaBots Forced To Scrap Its 'Unsafe' Combat Robot

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can't believe they are going to let a little thing like "getting killed" send them back to the drawing board. What a bunch of wussies! They should just make these things remote controlled, that would solve the pilot death issue. ;)

MegaBots -- the US half of a proposed mecha duel -- is scrapping its Mk.II machine after deeming it completely "unsafe for hand-to-hand combat." In "almost" every test, the team discovered that the human operator (buried inside, a little like Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion) would have been seriously injured or killed. That's...not good. Now, the crew is working on the Mk.III -- a new robot with a safer cockpit, improved controls and modular arms.

So basically like the Hammer corp guy in Iron Man2, a quick 180 turn of just the torso and snap

Don't worry, they'll have a day one patch ...

Also, link is 404 now.

They should just go with VR/FPV and put a mannequin of <name your favorite character> in the cockpit like a crash test dummy with damage sensors, they'll look better to the audience than the overweight meatbags squeezing themselves into silver jumpsuits (and possibly bloody/dismembered overweight meatbags in silver jumpsuits), and they can really go all out. Not everyone should cosplay...

How about take the human out of the cockpit entirely? Putting a person in there is asking for trouble.

Put the pilot in the base... If they are just going to put it on treads anyway, you might as well put them well away from the action. But I would have to go with viscountalpha on this one. Unless pilot death is an acceptable risk in robot fighting, make the pilot remote. Plus, you could hire a ten year old kid and Hugh Jackman to train you.

If you can do 200 MPH on a car track and get splattered then you can man up and do some rock-em sock-em robot fighting.

If they have to rely on h2h fighting and trying to do damage with that useless chainsaw, then they already loose. It's got to be able to take out the enemy with ranged weapons, that means destroying the cockpit and killing the pilot for the best take down.

If you can do 200 MPH on a car track and get splattered then you can man up and do some rock-em sock-em robot fighting.

You can't compare the two. I'm sorry no. It doesn't work that. A race vehicle usually has a roll cage and carbon fiber to disperse the energy of the impact. You can't do the same in a mech like this.

If you watch their youtube channel or visit their facebook this has already been shared. check out their youtube video, it shows some of the testing

you can see that it was not the safest robot, lol. this is all leading up to a TV series as well i think about making the new robot. theyre going to be making a MK III robot with better safety features and a much safer cockpit.

From what ive gathered as well the Howe brothers with Howe and Howe who made the ripsaw are going to be working with them on their tracks as well

Last edited:
How fitting, that someone else had also thought of Robot Jox!

Also, since no one else posted it... I'll just put this right here...

(this is from Robot Jox, hence the segway)

I'd bet the reason they are stubbornly and stupidly sticking with the manned robot thing is likely some neon gundam genveligis fetish.

Back