Mega Man Creator Launches New Game on Kickstarter

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The game designer behind Capcom’s top selling Mega Man franchise has turned to Kickstarter to get his newest concept from drawing board to gamers PC’s. Estimated launch date is spring of 2015.

Sound he started a game studio, had an amazing game (his dream) that he was about to put out.... then it got cancelled, so now he tried to figure out how to not have that happen enter the "give me money" age of development aka Kickstarter.

And what was with that American flag hat he put on at the beginning? Pandering to a country/culture?

oh, I love the music I'm hearing here, lol...

Backed for a digital copy. Very interested to see what this guy can do with today's tools but without today's corporate interference.

I don't do kickstarter.

However when the game comes out..MY MONEY Please Take it!

I don't do kickstarter.

However when the game comes out..MY MONEY Please Take it!

lsp6.png

You do realize if you really want to play the game you should make it happen. I am sure they could use your support. If it never happens you get to keep your money lol.

I rather like the idea of letting a bunch of other people fund the game. Then laughing when developers get carried with poorly thought out stretch goals that extend development time. Granted the stretch goals for this game look to be semi realistic and don't completely screw with development time. Bottom line if the game is good on release then I'll buy it.

It got funded just now. 903/900.

I never really played megaman, maybe I'll try this out.

Creepy he put on a hat with the American flag on it.
That's where the money is coming from, although just like we have tons of weebos in the US, there are a lot of Japanese that are infatuated with the "wild west" American mythology (samurai with guns) and medieval European culture. They love Arnold for example, in their eyes a big German-American that shoots first and asks questions later.

I will wait until it comes out.

Most things that are the "spiritual successor" to great games generally turn out to be nothing of the sort. It is merely used as a marketing scheme to piggy back off a great IP.

Looks like a complete rip off of megaman to me in every way. Would be interesting to see how that works out for them. I could see Capcom sueing them for making a clone without permission.

Sue who? The creator of Megaman?

Creator doesn't mean IP owner. He created megaman and other series while working for Capcom, they not him own the rights to the games.

If he could make a new megaman game then he would have just made a megaman game. But when he left Capcom to start his own company he lost the rights to all that he created. So since he can't make a real megaman game he is making a complete rip off of the game with just a different name but with characters that all look exactly like Megaman charaters he has made before with some changes to them.

Now that Bungie broke from Microsoft and Halo rights went to 343, imagine what would happen if Bungie suddenly released a game that looked just like Halo, had almost the exact same story as Halo, but instead the main character was Lieutenant Colonel (Jack 116) with an AI unit Katie and he was trying to find the Ring planets.

Or if Lucus decided to write a series Space Wars with Buck Groundwalker and Princess Neia....

I've never pledged anything on Kickstarter before, and that has now changed. Was a big fan of the blue bomber in the 80s and 90s, can't wait to see what he has in store for the next great robot saga

Exactly, so he doesn't name it megaman. They can't sue him over a game that is similar to it. I doubt they can sue the random guy down the road, that did it. Much less the guy who designed it.

Am I seeing things or did it raised over 1.2 mil in 3 days, with 28 more days to go? You guys ain't kidding about "taking my $$."

trending towards $10m on kicktraq, lol...

yeah, I know things will slow down quick. still, that's pretty cool to see the support.

If they lost the IP, I assume the main character will be modeled after Kim Dotcom?

If they lost the IP, I assume the main character will be modeled after Kim Dotcom?

It isn't that anyone "lost" the IP. This guy that created megaman when working at capcom and quit so he doesn't have the IP. Capcom can and probably will keep making megaman games.

It isn't that anyone "lost" the IP. This guy that created megaman when working at capcom and quit so he doesn't have the IP. Capcom can and probably will keep making megaman games.

No Capcom have terminated the IP, so their will never be another megaman game.
They still own the IP but they won't use it.

They said Mega Man was "unprofitable" and had "no fan support".

Whoever was quote saying that is an idiot. You see how much people cried over the lack of megaman in Marvel Vs Capcom 3?(Though I am fine with Zero) And isn't he making an appearance in Nintendo's new Smash Brothers due to fan requests?

I'm a huge fan of mega. I remember getting the first one as a gift. Took me forever to finish, and it seemed like every time I got to (what I thought was!) the final stage, the damn game locked up and I had to start over. Yet still I pushed forward until I finished it.

I don't like where the game went -- all the legends, and the stupid gameboy games... Mega Man was about getting your ass handed to you, but when you finished, you got an ability that made it all worth it. Loved it.

I still play the first few of them over and over. And I bought all the remakes for multiple consoles. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I don't really do kickstarter either, but I'm tempted on this one...

Whoever was quote saying that is an idiot. You see how much people cried over the lack of megaman in Marvel Vs Capcom 3?(Though I am fine with Zero) And isn't he making an appearance in Nintendo's new Smash Brothers due to fan requests?

Because...

vYkTSSq.jpg

Wasn't aware of that. I know they cancelled Legends 3 because they wanted uers to make the game for them and not enough people were working on it. didn't know that was the entire series they killed off.

That said they stopped making real megaman games and started making that crap Battle Network or whatever that series was. that was when i looked away and didnt' care anymore.

Just tripled my backing. I can see the Linux version coming with no problem, and I don't mind waiting a year to get my physical copy.

Back