Meet "Finger Cutter"

jmroberts70 said:
Here's one of my projects. The two AC blowers will do more than damage your fingers. It should work as a blender for anything up to small farm animals!

icejet01.jpg

They are beautiful fans aren't they. Comair Rotron's, right? :)

Warning: Fuzzy animals and small children may not exactly be safe next to that thing... :)

Thats incredible. I've never been bitten by any of my fans... fastest of which is a 75cfm smartfan. Even my 120mms dont seem to injure me.. it is quite a suprise to hear the *BZZZZT* when they finally nick you.

Oh and jmroberts70, I dont think you should be able to own those things without grills welded onto them.

hmm...reminds me of my old 120mm delta fan...that thing was like 35mm thick and blew like 150cfm. I stuck a pencil into it and it chopped the tip off.

kronchev said:
so youre saying we can finally kick start evolution again by leaving tornado's lying around? hmmm
LAND MINES!!!!..... HAHAHAHHAAAA ----------when i get the money and time, imma buy like 20 tornadoes and wire it and leave it grill-less on the dirt in front of my house... then leave a warning sign that says, 'no trespassing'

Losing a finger wouldn't be all bad, you'd have a great war story to tell all the youngins at lan parties...
You could also preserve your finger in a jar and display it in your case, right next to the offending fan.

colin said:
Losing a finger wouldn't be all bad, you'd have a great war story to tell all the youngins at lan parties...
You could also preserve your finger in a jar and display it in your case, right next to the offending fan.
lol, at a lanparty.... "hey buddy, when i m thru with you on cs, imma have another jar in there"

jesus.. when you want to stop fans, dont put your fingers on the blades.. put them on the center part.

no, thats not true. I find that using a nose, ear or... other extremity... in the outer edges of the blade is the best way to stop your most raging fans.

But seriously i was playin around with a fan while modding my comp. It wasn't in the case, but plugged in. I was holding hte thing in my hand and decided to turn on the rig with everything open so i could play with the fan. I really lightly tapped my finger into it, but the thing jerked and caught the palm of the hand holding it in the tiny gap between the tippy tip of the blades and the inside wall of the shell. Torsion was not my friend that day. It pinched, twisted and tore up a good chunk of my palm before finally getting jammed on my palm-flesh. I finally got the comp turned off, but OW! Not a good day in modder-ville.

jf1288 said:
no, thats not true. I find that using a nose, ear or... other extremity... in the outer edges of the blade is the best way to stop your most raging fans.

But seriously i was playin around with a fan while modding my comp. It wasn't in the case, but plugged in. I was holding hte thing in my hand and decided to turn on the rig with everything open so i could play with the fan. I really lightly tapped my finger into it, but the thing jerked and caught the palm of the hand holding it in the tiny gap between the tippy tip of the blades and the inside wall of the shell. Torsion was not my friend that day. It pinched, twisted and tore up a good chunk of my palm before finally getting jammed on my palm-flesh. I finally got the comp turned off, but OW! Not a good day in modder-ville.
ouch... :eek:

Just think what a grillless HSF tornado could do with floppy unkempt atx power wires.

Thats a hurah to good wiring and fan grills at the same time ;)

i just got cut a few days ago... i had a open pc meaning no case, just lying on my table and i reached over to turn the psu off and my arm slightly touched the high rpm fan of the hsf... it was like, bbzzztttt... and i looked it at... it was only a light touch with no blood (YAY) and it has swollen and the cut is like oozing liquids out of it and it stung like crazy

couple of years ago I was messing around with a buddys pc, he had one of those little Delta fans in there that spin at about 9600 or something crazy like that, swiped the skin clean off my entire knuckle :(

mastrcronX said:
couple of years ago I was messing around with a buddys pc, he had one of those little Delta fans in there that spin at about 9600 or something crazy like that, swiped the skin clean off my entire knuckle :(
woah, thats gottta hurt

In my dragon case, I have an 80mm panaflo mounted directly behind the 2 open 3.5 slots, which blows directly into the mouth of my Cooler Master Aero CPU fan...cools really good that way. Only prob is the rocker switch for my CCFLs is mounted to a drive bay cover directly above it.

About once a week when it's dark in my room I go to turn on my lights and ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppp
I'm putting a bandaid on. Worse part is I have an 80mm fangrill I use as a coaster. One of these days maybe when I'm fishing a finger out of the bottom of my case I'll put it on :p

Catuela said:
In my dragon case, I have an 80mm panaflo mounted directly behind the 2 open 3.5 slots, which blows directly into the mouth of my Cooler Master Aero CPU fan...cools really good that way. Only prob is the rocker switch for my CCFLs is mounted to a drive bay cover directly above it.

About once a week when it's dark in my room I go to turn on my lights and ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppp
I'm putting a bandaid on. Worse part is I have an 80mm fangrill I use as a coaster. One of these days maybe when I'm fishing a finger out of the bottom of my case I'll put it on :p
LOL, i think you REALLY need to use that 'coaster' else where

wayne said:
LOL, i think you REALLY need to use that 'coaster' else where

problem solved...ordered an EXOS about 5 minutes ago so i think that fan will just go away. :)

Yep have done it as well last week just installed my 6800GT and powered on the case open to check everything was good before I closed it up. Everything was good so as i was about to put the side back I noticed a wire had slipped a little out of place so I reached in and not paying enough attention stuck my thumb right in a 80mm tornado, slashed right through my finger and bust up my nail really bad, its still all black.

Note to self buy some fan grills.

Few years ago I was working as a tech and we had to install a burner in an HP. Of course they had hot melted the damn bay covers to the case, so the other tech took a stab at removing one of them while I did something else. Not sure how he did it, but I heard a yelp, turned around and saw him bleeding rather profuselu from his knuckle. He apparently got the cover off and drove his finger along the sharp edge of the metal cover inside, cutting right down to, and knicking, the tendon. Needless to say he went for stitches while I mopped up the blood. The install went perfectly ;) When in doubt, add a little blood, sacrifice is it's own reward :D

dargon said:
Few years ago I was working as a tech and we had to install a burner in an HP. Of course they had hot melted the damn bay covers to the case, so the other tech took a stab at removing one of them while I did something else. Not sure how he did it, but I heard a yelp, turned around and saw him bleeding rather profuselu from his knuckle. He apparently got the cover off and drove his finger along the sharp edge of the metal cover inside, cutting right down to, and knicking, the tendon. Needless to say he went for stitches while I mopped up the blood. The install went perfectly ;) When in doubt, add a little blood, sacrifice is it's own reward :D
ouchh... so what did the owner of that computer have to say about this? :D

Rotrons Vs Duallies..... hmmmm

Dual Rotron Muffins! TOOO many CFMS....... must.... save...... duallys...... from being eaten.....

Rotrons.jpg

Reminds me of something I did at my grade school. I took a motor from my erector set and stuck the exposed ends of the power wires straight into a wall socket. It didn't so much burn out, as the motor was all of a sudden spinning really fast, and smoking, and hot enough that I mildly burned myself

i did the exact same thing with a 12v windshield wiper motor , melted the wire insulation onto my hands

lol

ciggy50 said:
i did the exact same thing with a 12v windshield wiper motor , melted the wire insulation onto my hands

lol
wait, that actually works?

wait, that actually works?
so much so that the motor was smoking and going a gazillion rpm
before my stunned adolesent mind could pull the wires out of the wall socket.

had to do quite a bit of fast-talking to explain all the electrical smoke coming from my bedroom to my parents:p

160CFM Delta AFB1212SHE......has so far eaten the cord of my Seinheiser's, a mouse, several peices of paper, and my brothers sunglasses......so I finally put a grill on it.

nate2.jpg

AnubisPrime said:
160CFM Delta AFB1212SHE......has so far eaten the cord of my Seinheiser's, a mouse, several peices of paper, and my brothers sunglasses......so I finally put a grill on it.

[IG]http://img6.exs.cx/img6/7163/nate2.jpg[/IMG]

Looks like the output for some kind of "As Seen On TV" salad making device

I've scavenged a couple of automobile radiator fans ( most impressive was a Peugeot 605 one, something around 60 cms diameter, 10-12 cms thick, prolly blowing a nice 500-600 cfm at full power ( 12V ) but one thing for sure ... I didn't keep it ( was like 5 years ago, used to 'cool down' my old P2 400 rig with the monster during summer days ... now I'm watercooled ... and I care too much for my ( awesome ) appendages :D

I just can't resist adding my own story. See, I have this Zalman CNPS3100 (flower HS) on my Athlon XP 1800, and have a zalman heatpipe cooler on my GF4 Ti 4200. I was reaching to touch the CPU HS to see if it was hot (I was getting crashes), and my hand brushed against the 80mm fan (hanging by its own cord in front of the CPU--I'm working on fixing that right now) that was blowing on the CPU HS. That didn't hurt--the fan was a quiet one to begin with, and I was running it at 7V. However, it startled me enough that I jerked my hand away--right into the VGA heatpipe cooler. I found out that there are quite a few (dozen) sharp points and edges on that heatpipe cooler. My pinky got chewed up pretty good.

So I guess you could say I bloodied myself on a passive cooler.

Teancum said:
I just can't resist adding my own story. See, I have this Zalman CNPS3100 (flower HS) on my Athlon XP 1800, and have a zalman heatpipe cooler on my GF4 Ti 4200. I was reaching to touch the CPU HS to see if it was hot (I was getting crashes), and my hand brushed against the 80mm fan (hanging by its own cord in front of the CPU--I'm working on fixing that right now) that was blowing on the CPU HS. That didn't hurt--the fan was a quiet one to begin with, and I was running it at 7V. However, it startled me enough that I jerked my hand away--right into the VGA heatpipe cooler. I found out that there are quite a few (dozen) sharp points and edges on that heatpipe cooler. My pinky got chewed up pretty good.

So I guess you could say I bloodied myself on a passive cooler.
LOL, opposite of what you expected eh? :D

AnubisPrime said:

Omg hahaha....love to see what was left of the sunglasses ;-) haha

i personally got my fingernail scratched with an 80mm 2500rpm fan before. it did not hurt me in anyway.... also, my mouse wire brazed the same fan later with no visible damage at all...

Punchbugy said:
fanofdoom.jpg

Took this thing out of an old P3 heatsink. It's deadly.

OMG! Is that from a Golden Orb??? I still have 2 of those in perfect working condition! :eek:

Catuela said:
Looks like the output for some kind of "As Seen On TV" salad making device

Yeah, put a cup under that in a case and you can slice, dice, and make Julienne fries while gaming or folding!

Punchbugy said:
fanofdoom.jpg

Took this thing out of an old P3 heatsink. It's deadly.
how come its not spinning?... i see 8 batteries in there 1.5v each.. thats 12v which is what a fan needs... it seems hooked up, it doesnt seem lik its spinning

or was it that your camera caught it fast so it seems to not be moving?

thenerd said:
i personally got my fingernail scratched with an 80mm 2500rpm fan before. it did not hurt me in anyway.... also, my mouse wire brazed the same fan later with no visible damage at all...
hahah, cheap fan... what kind is it?

i can stop most fans with my finger.. some of them by the blades

wayne said:
how come its not spinning?... i see 8 batteries in there 1.5v each.. thats 12v which is what a fan needs... it seems hooked up, it doesnt seem lik its spinning

or was it that your camera caught it fast so it seems to not be moving?
There's probably a switch somewhere on the battery pack, or that white thing.

wayne said:
hahah, cheap fan... what kind is it?

i can stop most fans with my finger.. some of them by the blades

you wouldn't be saying that if you stuck your finger in the TMD fan on my HSF. See the small notch in the blade at the top? That's from when I accidentally got my finger in ther and it took off the very end of it...nail and all. Those TMD's are torque monsters...not to mention they spin at 5700rpm.

tmd.JPG

:EDIT: and yes...the fan was moving at 5700rpm when I took this picture....so the pic of that other fan could have very well been taken while it was moving too. Cameras are cool like that :p

heh, there was this cheapo evercool fan on the stock HSF that came w/ my 950Mhz Duron...i hadn't clipped my nails lately, so i was fooling around inside the case while the fan was on...my pinky strayed a little bit too close.

there was a *snap* and then a *tinkle* as my nail-clipping problem and 5/7 fan blades were removed. :eek:

Back