Medieval Total War 2 = good or bad

infin@

Gawd
I loved the first total war and when rome TW came out i was in heaven. Anyone played the new one? It was getting a little repetitive towards the end of Rome TW, kinda hoping for some big changes. Thxs

From what I read its the same thing with better graphics and a buggy AI..

I have it. It doesn't mix well with Vista or my 7900GT.. so I've only played it for a minute or two.

I just got it... and think it is great!! Like you I loved Rome and this game has alot more added on to it.It actually just seems like a reskin of Rome in some ways (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but it does look much better. I have been reading up on the forums at Toatal War Central and some of the new strategic features have been reported to be bugged and/or imbalanced. Appearantly CA is coming out with a patch for the game in a week so I'm not worried... although I have played through 50 turns and not had any noticible problem yet.

So to answer you're question... it is very much the same type of play and you'll be very familiar with it, but there is enough new content IMO to allow me to enjoy it all over again.

On a side note: if you want units to charge into enemies you have to just single click them into battle, as opposed to double clicking them in Rome... not seeing my Cavalry charge was getting annoying

EDIT: AI is a little buggy but not enough to hinder the gameplay... I remember Rome's AI always being buggy and I still played through it. Improvements will come over time through updates and patches ;)

sweet, thxs guys...i remember updating rome was a nightmare. Be ordering later tonight. Can't wait. :)

I've definitely enjoyed it thus far. It does feel like a modded RTW, but I don't think that is a bad thing. The AI can be a little sketchy but over all is a ton of fun so far. I've probably put five or so hours in it with the Venice faction. Good stuff :cool:

I remember Rome TW ruling my life for a while there. I be like.."oh just one more turn", then i'm attacked by six factions and it takes me 2 hours to fight all the battles :p . Well, here we go again, the girlfriend will be pissed. :rolleyes:

infin@ said:
I remember Rome TW ruling my life for a while there. I be like.."oh just one more turn", then i'm attacked by six factions and it takes me 2 hours to fight all the battles :p . Well, here we go again, the girlfriend will be pissed. :rolleyes:

Yup. Rome was the same way with me, now I play Medieval 2 every minute i get. It is just as addicting.

lol....woohoo, should have overnighted it. Ah well, more time for the homework.

I like it so far, but why does it seem my generals get always accused of herecy?

Do I need to keep a priest in the Army all of the time?

Also, how do I change my faction Hier?

Thanks!

Hintful cheat code I found!

add_money 9999999999

;)

I absolutely love the game. I wasn't a big RTW fan but was a die hard mtw 1 fan :)

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
I like it so far, but why does it seem my generals get always accused of herecy?

Do I need to keep a priest in the Army all of the time?

Also, how do I change my faction Hier?

Thanks!

Hintful cheat code I found!

add_money 9999999999

;)

If the piety of your characters is low they the inquisitor will own you. This applies to priests too. Having a priest in your army won't change anything unless the inquisitor goes after the priest. What you can do is when you see an inquisitor snooping around, send a priest to go past him and the inquisitor will go after the priest.

boomheadshot45 said:
I love it. One of my favorite PC games ever. I don't know why everybody is complaining, theres no buggy AI.

I love this game too but there is a lot of buggy AI issues. For example the pathfinding issues in this game are terrible as well as the unit cohesion issue.

Haven't you ever seen a few men attacking and the rest of the unit doing nothing?

nicotine said:
I love this game too but there is a lot of buggy AI issues. For example the pathfinding issues in this game are terrible as well as the unit cohesion issue.

Haven't you ever seen a few men attacking and the rest of the unit doing nothing?

I don't think thats a bug, its more of the unit keeping its formation. While not as critical in Medieval 2, for Rome it was a must for phalanxes. You don't want those guys loosing their formation because the effect of the phalanxe would then be lost.

Oh, fyi, your sig is way too long buddy. I believe its a ten line maximum.

put it on medium, or put campaign difficulty on easy and battle difficuly on medium/hard, maybe that will fix it. I'm not the "tactical genious" in my family, its my bro. So I just have him help me out when I am stuck. (Me and my bro are not 40 yr old losers or something, I'm 13 and hes 15)

Buggy AI, huh... seems I'll not be getting the game right away then.

How is the challenge level compared to Rome? Cause AI was pretty unimaginative there, even on hardest campaign map setting.

Ahriman4891 said:
Buggy AI, huh... seems I'll not be getting the game right away then.

How is the challenge level compared to Rome? Cause AI was pretty unimaginative there, even on hardest campaign map setting.

This Total War installment is not too bad compared to Rome when it fisrt came out... there are some bugs though but it's been told that CA will release a patch in the next week or so. For a full list of confirmed bugs look here. Most of these bugs are very minor though

As far as the units holding back while the rest go and fight, the charging was done a little differently in Medieval 2. In Rome you would double click to make them run to the enemy, but now you just single click and when they get close enough the charge as they are supposed to. if you need them to get there faster you double click then just single click when they are close enough. A better explaination for that is here.

Hope that helps :)

Its not buggy AI. It's crap AI.

I'm playing it on hard and am at war with half of western europe and still winning, and I suck.

I've lost 7 fights out of 60 and most of them were ones I didn't want to win. The AI regularly turns up to fights with like 600 archers and 150 spearman. So easy it's not fun.

Not at war with many people :-/

That said, it is still a very fun game and I'm glad I got it but I just like things to be a challenge.

Friend of mine has been playing it. What I've heard is that the AI is completely inept in skirmish, but that's supposed to be fixed in an upcoming patch. It's supposed to be awesome online, and the scripted battle scenarios are fun.

I don't get why CA tried to "fix" the original Medieval AI, which was quite able IIRC. Good that the upcoming Rome Total Realism 7.0 will keep me busy until they iron out the bugs of M2 :)

im having issues online too, it doesnt always stay connected and i can never find any games, like there arent any available, but there are still tons of people online. anyone else having online issues?

edit: yeah its awesome, my first tw game :D

I beat it, once your win you unlock all of the other factions and more custom battle options.
It was a fun game.

I found France to be the best well rounded nation.

:)

aiya, i wish i had known that beating it as one faction unlocked them all... i just slowly played diff factions to eliminate diff factions to unlock em...

I'm still playing through as England and I have almost beaten the game. 32 territories are mine and I'm sending a nice surprise to Jeruslam right now. I was wondering though, when you unlock all the nations do you get to play as the Mongols? That is the faction I want to be. :D

SuX0rz said:
I'm still playing through as England and I have almost beaten the game. 32 territories are mine and I'm sending a nice surprise to Jeruslam right now. I was wondering though, when you unlock all the nations do you get to play as the Mongols? That is the faction I want to be. :D

yeah im in the same spot you are but with 42 territories, im taking out portugals last spot and finishing off venice. i was sending a fleet over to jerusalem but then 4 territories went rebel on me at once, so now im going to exterminate the population to teach them a lesson :D

this game rules, i dont know if you can be the mongols, i hope so... but has anyone tried multiplayer yet?

I was a Rome freak. SPQR 6.2 anyone? Some should know what that is..

M2TW is just as good, with a few glitches. There has been a lot of moaning and diapers changed, but in the end, I don't see any of the bugs as "game breaking." I might just have the good fortune of not running into the major bugs. Even my cases of passive AI aren't as extreme as others report.

It will be patched "soon."

Back