MediaTek to adopt Nvidia GPU in flagship mobile chip by next year

Marees

2[H]4U
MediaTek is expected to integrate an Nvidia GPU into its next-generation flagship mobile processor as early as 2024, according to industry sources.

In addition to co-developing mobile handset platforms to enhance AI and gaming functionalities of MediaTek's application processors, MediaTek and Nvidia will also cooperate in developing WOA (Windows on Arm) platform products for notebook applications, said the sources.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20230515PD212/gpu-mediatek-nvidia.html

MediaTek is expected to integrate an Nvidia GPU into its next-generation flagship mobile processor as early as 2024, according to industry sources.

In addition to co-developing mobile handset platforms to enhance AI and gaming functionalities of MediaTek's application processors, MediaTek and Nvidia will also cooperate in developing WOA (Windows on Arm) platform products for notebook applications, said the sources.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20230515PD212/gpu-mediatek-nvidia.html
Probably spurred on by the ARM SoC being lackluster and their upcoming renewal options being bleak at best, but I'll take any option that gets us new and interesting things at this point.

I'm surprised Nvidia thinks MediaTek is good enough to work with, I don't lol

All their Mediatek CPUs I've used are trash compared to Qualcomm, just in more and more stuff nowadays cause they're the cheapest bidder probably

Still, interesting for such an odd pairing/product if anything as mentioned

I'm surprised Nvidia thinks MediaTek is good enough to work with, I don't lol

All their Mediatek CPUs I've used are trash compared to Qualcomm, just in more and more stuff nowadays cause they're the cheapest bidder probably

Still, interesting for such an odd pairing/product if anything as mentioned
MediaTek does huge volume mostly in Asian Chromebook-like devices, working with them and getting something in place that could work and be compatible with the Nvidia streaming platform would be a huge win for adaption and market penetration. It's one thing to offer a service it's another entirely to ensure that everybody and their dog has the hardware to use it.

Mobile hardware is another space where more competition is needed, so I welcome this. Your choices are basically just Qualcomm for Android and Apple for iOS at this point.

Mobile hardware is another space where more competition is needed, so I welcome this. Your choices are basically just Qualcomm for Android and Apple for iOS at this point.
My stuff has more Broadcom ARM SoCs than anything else but yeah.

Well I wonder what kind of products this will be made for. Nvidia doesn't seem to be much interested in developing their own ARM SoC's for consumer products, not since the Tegra X1. They seem to be only developing SoC's for enterprise applications & self-driving cars. Nintendo is going to need to release a Switch 2 at some point, and will need an SoC for it.

Well I wonder what kind of products this will be made for. Nvidia doesn't seem to be much interested in developing their own ARM SoC's for consumer products, not since the Tegra X1. They seem to be only developing SoC's for enterprise applications & self-driving cars. Nintendo is going to need to release a Switch 2 at some point, and will need an SoC for it.
But this is unlikely to go into switch 2.

Switch will have bigger gpu but on a cheaper process node.

If Mediatek is targetting windows laptops then they would go for latest node & unlikely that they will focus on gaming

Nintendo already has their SoC that was leaked a year ago along with all the other Nvidia stuff the leaks just didn't provide details just a project name. There isn't exactly a consumer demand for ARM SoCs, nobody is going to Amazon, Bestbuy, or Microcenter and looking for the latest ARM CPU they can slot or socket into their system. There is retail channel demand for ARM SoC, in many many forms, but none of them are consumer direct. Broadcom, Qualcomm, Samsung, MediaTek, Rockchip, Anthros, and others, design ARM SoC for consumer devices but outside of tinker boards like those from Raspberry or ODroid you don't really buy them you are just using them.
The Nvidia Jetson Orin is very likely the base version of the upcoming Switch update as it is close in cost, size, thermals, and power, it also offers up to a 700% performance uplift while also giving DLSS options to developers.
I assume they are just going to do with it as they did with the original Jetson that made up the switch, for that they took the base Tegra X1 and disabled the A53 cores leaving only the A57 ones and using the extra power for the GPU. So the Orin-based one would likely strip out the ONX deep-learning accelerators and similarly boost the GPU clock speeds.

But this is unlikely to go into switch 2.

Switch will have bigger gpu but on a cheaper process node.

If Mediatek is targetting windows laptops then they would go for latest node & unlikely that they will focus on gaming
I’m thinking Chromebooks that meet the requirements for the GeForce Now services and can do the streaming upscaling.

Nintendo already has their SoC that was leaked a year ago along with all the other Nvidia stuff the leaks just didn't provide details just a project name. There isn't exactly a consumer demand for ARM SoCs, nobody is going to Amazon, Bestbuy, or Microcenter and looking for the latest ARM CPU they can slot or socket into their system. There is retail channel demand for ARM SoC, in many many forms, but none of them are consumer direct. Broadcom, Qualcomm, Samsung, MediaTek, Rockchip, Anthros, and others, design ARM SoC for consumer devices but outside of tinker boards like those from Raspberry or ODroid you don't really buy them you are just using them.
The Nvidia Jetson Orin is very likely the base version of the upcoming Switch update as it is close in cost, size, thermals, and power, it also offers up to a 700% performance uplift while also giving DLSS options to developers.
I assume they are just going to do with it as they did with the original Jetson that made up the switch, for that they took the base Tegra X1 and disabled the A53 cores leaving only the A57 ones and using the extra power for the GPU. So the Orin-based one would likely strip out the ONX deep-learning accelerators and similarly boost the GPU clock speeds.
I wondered about the Jetson Orin being a possibility, but didn't know if it's absence of the lower power cores would be a problem. I didn't realize that the Tegra X1 in the Switch had the low power cores disabled, so thanks for that info. Also, I'm sure Nintendo has been prototyping Switch replacements, but it doesn't seem like they're in any hurry to release a successor, so I wonder if the Jetson Orin won't be too outdated by the time it happens.

I wondered about the Jetson Orin being a possibility, but didn't know if it's absence of the lower power cores would be a problem. I didn't realize that the Tegra X1 in the Switch had the low power cores disabled, so thanks for that info. Also, I'm sure Nintendo has been prototyping Switch replacements, but it doesn't seem like they're in any hurry to release a successor, so I wonder if the Jetson Orin won't be too outdated by the time it happens.
Given that Tears of the Kingdom is expected to be the last big first-party title to the device the Switch is now done, that game does the absolute most it is going to do and Nintendo and the Developers know it. I honestly expect the new one for this Christmas season, and I don't know about dated even if it came out next year, the Jetson Orin Nano with the suspected modifications and 16GB in memory would make it somewhere around a PS4 Pro in most respects

Next headline (6-12 months from now):

Ngreediya, who WAS working with Mediatek on new mobile GPU's, gobbles them up, skims off all their IP, then shuts 'em down !

Talk about the ultimate backdoor/rootkit !

Don't say I didn't warn you :D

Samsung works with AMD for mobile GPU. The last generation is a failure. It is more difficult than expected.
Now MTK works with NVidia. I do not think it will succeed at the 1st generation. It will take many years. Not sure if MTK has the patience.
On the other hand, Qualcomm mobile GPU is really shining, even better than Apple's.
Interesting to see how these play out in a long term. Always exciting to see more competitors for better products.

Samsung works with AMD for mobile GPU. The last generation is a failure. It is more difficult than expected.
Now MTK works with NVidia. I do not think it will succeed at the 1st generation. It will take many years. Not sure if MTK has the patience.
On the other hand, Qualcomm mobile GPU is really shining, even better than Apple's.
Interesting to see how these play out in a long term. Always exciting to see more competitors for better products.
MediaTek and NVidia have been working together on this publicly since at least 2021.
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-mediatek-arm-pcs-gpus-170021586.html

NVidia also has its own very successful lineup of ARM silicon and has a lot more experience in that field than AMD.

And really the biggest failure AMD had there was adopting their technology to work on the Samsung nodes, AMD at this stage is incredibly dependent on TSMC much of what AMD has designed does not translate to other foundries at all.

I would like to see these Qualcomm ARM offerings that are performing better than Apple, if true I feel that needs some fanfare and more publicity.

MediaTek and NVidia have been working together on this publicly since at least 2021.
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-mediatek-arm-pcs-gpus-170021586.html

NVidia also has its own very successful lineup of ARM silicon and has a lot more experience in that field than AMD.

And really the biggest failure AMD had there was adopting their technology to work on the Samsung nodes, AMD at this stage is incredibly dependent on TSMC much of what AMD has designed does not translate to other foundries at all.

I would like to see these Qualcomm ARM offerings that are performing better than Apple, if true I feel that needs some fanfare and more publicity.
Good to know MTK & NVidia worked on laptop chips since 2021. Looks like it worked well, so they now extend to mobile chip. Good move to ditch the ARM GPU.

Here is a quick search find:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Snapd...-740-wins-the-GPU-race-in-style.682905.0.html
"it's easy to conclude that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2's Adreno 740 GPU delivers around 10% better performance and circa 15% better efficiency than the A16 Bionic's GPU—on average."

I remember reading more about the power efficiency and performance chart of Qualcomm vs Apple. I was surprised that Qualcomm GPU is more efficient, considering Apple put a lot silicon area to make it low power. Just can not find the exact page now.

Good to know MTK & NVidia worked on laptop chips since 2021. Looks like it worked well, so they now extend to mobile chip. Good move to ditch the ARM GPU.

Here is a quick search find:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Snapd...-740-wins-the-GPU-race-in-style.682905.0.html
"it's easy to conclude that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2's Adreno 740 GPU delivers around 10% better performance and circa 15% better efficiency than the A16 Bionic's GPU—on average."

I remember reading more about the power efficiency and performance chart of Qualcomm vs Apple. I was surprised that Qualcomm GPU is more efficient, considering Apple put a lot silicon area to make it low power. Just can not find the exact page now.
Yeah, the MediaTek thing got a bit of a twist because then it was Nvidia coordinating with MediaTek using their ARM license, but as ARM will not be renewing those types of contracts MediaTek loses theirs in 2025 and they would have to renew using the new contract rules meaning they would have to purchase the canned ARM SoC's and would not be allowed to customize them further. This new agreement has MediaTek working under Nvidia's ARM license which is good out until some time in 2040 or 2050.

And yeah the Snapdragon's new GPU is a beast, but it does so at the expense of CPU which is a good 25% slower than the Apple offerings. But Apple's GPU is not great, that much is clear, but that A17 so far is showing some 40-60% improvements in CPU and is expecting a 15% or so improvement to each GPU core and they are going from 5 to 8 cores there. Apple still needs a new GPU architecture though theirs is... lagging behind, to say the least.

Back