Mediacom Internet - Opinions

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone here use Mediacom? How is it? To what extent do they enforce their data caps? Do they do a lot of throttling? How "static" are their dynamic IPs?

Currently I have Comcast Business, 60down, 20up, no monthly cap. No throttling that I've seen. IP never changes.

I'm going to have to switch over to Mediacom however, an ISP which I know nothing about, and in-fact barely even has service in California (where I am) other than a few small areas.

All of their Residential Plans seem to have very stingy data caps, and only their highest-tier plan offers 20Mbps upload.

All of their Business Plans seem absurdly expensive, with only their very highest tier, costing $350/month, offering speeds equal or greater than what I have now (60/20).

Does anyone know if their business plans have monthly caps or not, written or unwritten? Seems difficult to find that info on the site. I've transferred up to 7TB in a month on Comcast Business, several months in a row, without even a peep from them. Not sure if that will fly with Mediacom.

It does make me nervous that Mediacom seems to come in almost dead last in most ISP surveys, usually ahead of only the satellite internet companies. I'd like to hear some real opinions though.

I would run from mediacom they are shady IMO. If you look at their bus AUP they do not permit servers, either so what is the advantage of their service over home?

The caps suck and when I was with them they did not have an accurate tracking system. If you are grandfathered in a plan with no cap, do not change plans or you get a cap. You need to read the fine print as this changes often. Mediacom specializes in more smaller communities over larger communities. When I had them in MN it was once a year to call and have them rebalance the lines. The service is decent when it works and has no issues.

Currently having a Mediacom outage. They seem to do more maintenance overnight and have more issues and extended periods of downtime then our other ISPs. That's why we have multiple providers. When Mediacom is up, it's okay.

Avoid them like the plague.

When I had them, the service was OK, but their maintenance as well as their billing departments are something straight out of a horror movie.

If you have new service installed and they have to run a line, expect them to NEVER actually bury the line like they are supposed to.

When I finally switched service from them to WoW!, I paid my final bill for Mediacom and told them to disconnect my service with them.

They never came by to disconnect like they said they were going to and they also didn't discontinue my service like I told them to.

The next month I received a bill from them. I call them and asked what was going on. Somehow they had lost any record of me discontinuing my service.

Then they started sending me bills every month saying I still owed them money. I called them and talked to them about it multiple times but they never fixed it.

Then they started sending me collection notices. Finally, I called them and asked to speak to their legal department. That is when they finally dropped it.

This was over a whopping $9.

I will NEVER have Mediacom again. If I move, that will be a determining factor. If I can only get Mediacom at a specific address, I will not move there.

A lot of big corp have CS like that. We were with tmo for something like 11 years. We left them and got a bill for $5. Can we pay over the phone? Nope, we do not have an active account. Need to cut a check and send it in, over $5 and cannot take payment over the phone. Just the most ridiculous thing I have heard of, like they want it to go to collections or something.

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks!

I wish that I had the option to stay with Comcast Business. Not only has service reliability been amazing, the very few times I had to call and have a tech over, the Comcast Business van was in my driveway ~45 minutes later.

But oh well, trying to make lemonaid out of lemons. My only other options besides Mediacom appear to be fixed wireless providers. Decent speeds, and reliability appears to be good, but on all of their service plans they seem to consider 100Gigabytes/month to be a lot of data, with very punitive overage charges. ADSL might be an option but i'm not sure I could handle only 6Mbps (if i'm lucky). If there are no caps (doubtful), that might work as a 2nd connection. Overall i'd rather have a slow connection with no monthly cap than a fast connection with a small cap. Slow sucks but stuff will always finish downloading eventually...

I have several clients with mediacom business, generally it's ok. speed is good (above rated speed) most of the time. They do seem to perform a fair amount of maintenance overnight. I've never seen anything with caps, although I doubt any of my clients have hit 7tb in a month, but they do replicate data offsite every night, so a few probably see at least 1+tb every month.

Back