Media Thinks Lulz Boat = Louise Boat

They mistook the lower case "L" in LuLz for a lower case "I". Luiz.

In other news...

Some poor Spanish fellow named Luiz had his boat raided by the FBI and various other law enforcement agencies.

The Englich peeple doesnt know the englich langrage (lulz is a real word, right????). They do, however, know that monocles make you sexy.

You know, i'm in my 40's, i've been computing since I was 8, and I'm amazed, just amazed at how techno-culturally stupid teens and people in their 20's are when it comes to technology, computing, etc. are. They don't dig into the inner workings like a lot of us do. They just stay with the surface fluff of tech and ignore the real stuff. No big deal, but this article just brings that out in me. lulz, kthx

You know, i'm in my 40's, i've been computing since I was 8, and I'm amazed, just amazed at how techno-culturally stupid teens and people in their 20's are when it comes to technology, computing, etc. are. They don't dig into the inner workings like a lot of us do. They just stay with the surface fluff of tech and ignore the real stuff. No big deal, but this article just brings that out in me. lulz, kthx
I see what you mean by that. It's kinda sad when someone comes to me for computer help and I ask them what OS they're using and they tell me that they don't know :p

I am in my 20's and I'm not saying I know everything or even a lot. I am majoring to be a Network Engineer though and I know what you mean. There are a lot of people my age that stay on the surface with the fluff. There are a good chunk out of each age group in my opinion that don't know their way around the inner workings of stuff. But because my generation grew up in the age of computers, we are expected to know a lot more, when in most cases its those before us who do because, you most likely had to do a lot more to install a program than just hit next a couple times and hit "i accept" then finish back when you were my age. Not bashing on your post, your totally right. Most don't know anything, but how to push a bunch of buttons to make their tech do "stuff", but yet they don't know exactly how it does it. But then again not many are super enthused by tech like us here at [H] ;).

I am in my 20's and I'm not saying I know everything or even a lot. I am majoring to be a Network Engineer though and I know what you mean. There are a lot of people my age that stay on the surface with the fluff. There are a good chunk out of each age group in my opinion that don't know their way around the inner workings of stuff. But because my generation grew up in the age of computers, we are expected to know a lot more, when in most cases its those before us who do because, you most likely had to do a lot more to install a program than just hit next a couple times and hit "i accept" then finish back when you were my age. Not bashing on your post, your totally right. Most don't know anything, but how to push a bunch of buttons to make their tech do "stuff", but yet they don't know exactly how it does it. But then again not many are super enthused by tech like us here at [H] ;).

Both of you correct and its sad.

i'm 31 now and been into computers since I was about 10. And it racks my brain that they can sign on to facebook and tell you what shoes jennifer lopez is wearing today but don't know how to ctrl alt delete to lock a computer. And when you open up a command prompt do say list some files in a directory they thing you are some kind of coding genius.

And whats even worse is most of them need a computer to do their jobs.

Both of you correct and its sad.

i'm 31 now and been into computers since I was about 10. And it racks my brain that they can sign on to facebook and tell you what shoes jennifer lopez is wearing today but don't know how to ctrl alt delete to lock a computer. And when you open up a command prompt do say list some files in a directory they thing you are some kind of coding genius.

And whats even worse is most of them need a computer to do their jobs.

Lol you guys make me Luiz most people are computer retarted.

A computer in many ways is like a car. How many people know what is going on under the hood? As long as it does what it is supposed to, they have other interests. And honestly, thats why we have a specialized society; I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with that.

A computer in many ways is like a car. How many people know what is going on under the hood? As long as it does what it is supposed to, they have other interests. And honestly, thats why we have a specialized society; I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with that.

While you make a good point, anyone that owns a car should know how to change the wind shield washer fluid, or the oil, or a spare tire you know the basics. So why do they get a free pass with computer basics?

Good old sky news, uk version of fox news. Still remember them broadcasting the gulf war events, criticising the aim of a javelin missile, "oh no he did it all wrong, he hit the mud just in front of the tank"...all right Mr armchair expert, you go to war and shoot straight! then

While you make a good point, anyone that owns a car should know how to change the wind shield washer fluid, or the oil, or a spare tire you know the basics. So why do they get a free pass with computer basics?

Go take a poll of the juniors in college who are business majors. I bet less than half can change oil/spare. Maybe not even washer fluid.

Honestly those of us, myself included, who actually want to know whats going on inside our stuff(cars, computers, electronics, etc..) are all probably a little odd. Most people want these things to just work. via magic if possible.

Which accent are you referring to from that clip, as they were all Brits but several regional accents?

Which accent are you referring to from that clip, as they were all Brits but several regional accents?

All I know is that I would rather shove an ice pick in my ears than listen to that orgy of dialects for an extended period of time :eek:

But they should at least know if they're driving a Ford, BMW or Porsche, and what Model.

They should know how to lock the doors (secure password), adjust the seats/wheel/etc(basic user environment), put on their seat belt (antivirus), and know what the key bits and pieces are: motor, brakes, headlights, etc. (harddrive, memory, power supply)

In my opinion this highlights a serious FAIL in the school system.

But they should at least know if they're driving a Ford, BMW or Porsche, and what Model.

They should know how to lock the doors (secure password), adjust the seats/wheel/etc(basic user environment), put on their seat belt (antivirus), and know what the key bits and pieces are: motor, brakes, headlights, etc. (harddrive, memory, power supply)

In my opinion this highlights a serious FAIL in the school system.

If the user isn't technically or mechanically inclined (nor do they care to be), they should only worry about preventive maintenance (which doesn't take much to acknowledge). Not knowing the ins and outs of their PCs/Cars.

If my refrigerator does what it's supposed to do, and works, that's the only thing that would matter.

Maybe this is why they can't find Lulzsec members while Anonymous members are so easy to find: Lulzsec has cleverly diverted attention from themselves to this new hacking group Louis Boat.

I see what you mean by that. It's kinda sad when someone comes to me for computer help and I ask them what OS they're using and they tell me that they don't know :p

..or they say "it's a PC" or "it's a Mac" as if that would explain everything. Sadly, once any new technology goes mainstream, the intelligence of the average user reflects a regression towards the mean. (Consider the avg IQ = 100 and you can understand why we have the government in DC that we do)

This post was written on a Mac running XP on Bootcamp.

I Agree entirely. Owning a piece of technology means you have to understand how to use it in order for it not to be used against you. A car is a perfect example. Not taking care of your car means it's not going to start in the morning or it might break down on the highway or even put your life in danger.

Cars are devices for acquiring transportation
Computers are devices for acquiring information.

Same/similar concepts.

People just don't recognize immediate threat because computers are that much more complex than cars.

In reality they don't. What you're talking about is "functionally illiterate". They're able to operate it, but not able to understand what's going on behind the scenes. This is ok, until you find someone that tries to trick you. Like changing the oil, without changing the oil filter. Getting your computer fixed, but you find yourself with less ram or a slower processor.

You don't need to know everything, like bios or OBDII, but you should know enough to not be fooled or ripped off. Like, if someone wants to change your wind shield washer fluid. ;)

In reality they don't. What you're talking about is "functionally illiterate". They're able to operate it, ...

I think "able to operate it" is the key aspect that's being criticized here. I would venture most people do not understand how to operate their computer, as putting personal information on the web or downloading malware can certain affect their own life. Oddly enough, good usage of a computer can result in minimal maintenance, whereas with autos, any usage of the vehicle results in large amounts of wear & tear.

In reality they don't. What you're talking about is "functionally illiterate". They're able to operate it, but not able to understand what's going on behind the scenes. This is ok, until you find someone that tries to trick you. Like changing the oil, without changing the oil filter. Getting your computer fixed, but you find yourself with less ram or a slower processor.

You don't need to know everything, like bios or OBDII, but you should know enough to not be fooled or ripped off. Like, if someone wants to change your wind shield washer fluid. ;)

"Functionally illiterate" is definately the case. It scares me how well my girlfriend can surf the web and find this or that, but yet she has no clue that a message from some random person across the U.S. saying "hey sign up for this website" is spam and should be deleted from her email inbox. Basics are key to a lot of things because those basics actually can be used within a career. And it can even save you a lot of money. I've saved myself over a couple grand knowing how to rip my turbo eclipse apart and put it back together when things break. I'm not saying everyone should know how to do that, but when your stranded out somewhere because your car over heated due to the lack of coolant. Wouldn't it be great to know that all you had to do was open a cap and pour some water in there for the time being? Basics are simple, but they can help in so many ways and you don't even need to be a business major to learn them :). I'm not saying everyone should know everything about everything they are doing, but if they knew the basics, they would be a lot better off.

There's a big difference between not knowing how to use a computer and not knowing some obscure (in the grand scheme of things) internet meme.

There's a big difference between not knowing how to use a computer and not knowing some obscure (in the grand scheme of things) internet meme.

TBH, I feel retarded each time I even read "lulz" much less trying to say it out loud. I don't think not knowing what "lulz" means makes you an idiot; probably the opposite, actually.

Bleh, damn not being able to edit news posts. Anyway, I wanted to add that if you're a news reporter wittering on about something on national television then you should probably research into it and know roughly what you're talking about. Having said that, it aired at quarter to midnight on a 24/7 news channel so they're going to be struggling for rubbish 'filler' content around that time anyway.

Back