Media Thinks Lulz Boat = Louise Boat

"Functionally illiterate" is definately the case. It scares me how well my girlfriend can surf the web and find this or that, but yet she has no clue that a message from some random person across the U.S. saying "hey sign up for this website" is spam and should be deleted from her email inbox. Basics are key to a lot of things because those basics actually can be used within a career. And it can even save you a lot of money. I've saved myself over a couple grand knowing how to rip my turbo eclipse apart and put it back together when things break. I'm not saying everyone should know how to do that, but when your stranded out somewhere because your car over heated due to the lack of coolant. Wouldn't it be great to know that all you had to do was open a cap and pour some water in there for the time being? Basics are simple, but they can help in so many ways and you don't even need to be a business major to learn them :). I'm not saying everyone should know everything about everything they are doing, but if they knew the basics, they would be a lot better off.

You guys all have brought up many good points.

And I think the difference between users on this forum and the general public is just operating a device/vehicle is not enough we like to get into the details. This mentality of just picking up stuff and wanting to learn is how I got started with computers and it not that others lack this ability they just don't care enough to learn the basics and to expand on their knowledge.

I like to be self reliant and independent and prefer to learn and fix stuff myself over relying on people to do it for me to a certain extent of course.

You guys all have brought up many good points.

And I think the difference between users on this forum and the general public is just operating a device/vehicle is not enough we like to get into the details. This mentality of just picking up stuff and wanting to learn is how I got started with computers and it not that others lack this ability they just don't care enough to learn the basics and to expand on their knowledge.

I like to be self reliant and independent and prefer to learn and fix stuff myself over relying on people to do it for me to a certain extent of course.

There is a difference between someone that likes to know how everything works. And people that just want something to work for them. As long as there process doesn't change then they can go about there life until something happens. When that happens they go calling to the first type of person. As if there life is over and they can't go on there life is over...i guess angry birds must be played at all costs.

Then you get work orders to from someone saying "i can't log in" Only to go over and discover that all they needed to do was hit the nice BIG switch user button, and type in the user name and password. Which fyi was written in plain English on there monitor.
^^^^The sad part is this just happened to me ^^^

Screw the media and all the sheeple that follow. Find your brain commoners and learn to use it.

+100 for lulz

Screw the media and all the sheeple that follow. Find your brain commoners and learn to use it.

+100 for lulz

We are blessed for having one of noble birth among us. Just think of what a wonderful world it would be if everyone behaved as lulzsec did!

"Functionally illiterate" is definately the case. It scares me how well my girlfriend can surf the web and find this or that, but yet she has no clue that a message from some random person across the U.S. saying "hey sign up for this website" is spam and should be deleted from her email inbox. Basics are key to a lot of things because those basics actually can be used within a career. And it can even save you a lot of money. I've saved myself over a couple grand knowing how to rip my turbo eclipse apart and put it back together when things break. I'm not saying everyone should know how to do that, but when your stranded out somewhere because your car over heated due to the lack of coolant. Wouldn't it be great to know that all you had to do was open a cap and pour some water in there for the time being? Basics are simple, but they can help in so many ways and you don't even need to be a business major to learn them :). I'm not saying everyone should know everything about everything they are doing, but if they knew the basics, they would be a lot better off.
+1.

A close friend of mine had his laptop crippled by malware and all that nasty stuff back in high school. He kept getting IE popups that showed a GUI similar to what most antivirus programs would look like, telling him that his computer was unprotected and that he had to "click here NOW" :)rolleyes:) in order to secure his computer. Most people would fall for something like this. We only think "who could possibly be dumb enough to click on something like that?" because...well, we're on [H], after all. The average joe doesn't know shit about safe web browsing.

Cars are srs business too. There's a lot that can go wrong that a lot of people probably wouldn't be aware of. For instance, newer cars typically don't have this problem, but if you drive a junker/hoopty on a hot day with your AC on full blast while your engine coolant is low (lets be real, how many people do you know that actually CHECK their fluids on a regular basis?), chances are your engine is going to overheat.

Another thing to be aware of when it comes to cars is knowing the common problems that your specific make, model, and year of car has. Personal anecdote: I drive a 2000 Toyota Celica GT, which uses the same engine from 2000-2005, the 1ZZ-FE (its shitty and torqueless, i hate it lol). However, the 1ZZs that were put into Celicas from 2000-2002 were prone to burning oil extremely quickly; I have to pour in a quart every 3-4 weeks, driving maybe 250-300 miles a week, not that much at all. This was later fixed in 2003 and isn't a problem in 03+ 1ZZs, but as far as I know Toyota never issued any recalls or anything of the sort. How do I know this? I'm somewhat of an enthusiast, and I discovered this problem while browsing some Celica forums that I browse. If you looked it up on Wikipedia or similar sites, you wouldn't be able to find it, but its definitely a real problem and can be disastrous for the unaware: I've seen A LOT of 1ZZs that have died to rod-knock or that suffer other symptoms due to oil starvation, and nearly everyone that I know or have talked to with a 00-02 1ZZ tells me that they have to pour in a quart or two of oil regularly because it burns so quickly.

+1.

A close friend of mine had his laptop crippled by malware and all that nasty stuff back in high school. He kept getting IE popups that showed a GUI similar to what most antivirus programs would look like, telling him that his computer was unprotected and that he had to "click here NOW" :)rolleyes:) in order to secure his computer. Most people would fall for something like this. We only think "who could possibly be dumb enough to click on something like that?" because...well, we're on [H], after all. The average joe doesn't know shit about safe web browsing.

Cars are srs business too. There's a lot that can go wrong that a lot of people probably wouldn't be aware of. For instance, newer cars typically don't have this problem, but if you drive a junker/hoopty on a hot day with your AC on full blast while your engine coolant is low (lets be real, how many people do you know that actually CHECK their fluids on a regular basis?), chances are your engine is going to overheat.

Another thing to be aware of when it comes to cars is knowing the common problems that your specific make, model, and year of car has. Personal anecdote: I drive a 2000 Toyota Celica GT, which uses the same engine from 2000-2005, the 1ZZ-FE (its shitty and torqueless, i hate it lol). However, the 1ZZs that were put into Celicas from 2000-2002 were prone to burning oil extremely quickly; I have to pour in a quart every 3-4 weeks, driving maybe 250-300 miles a week, not that much at all. This was later fixed in 2003 and isn't a problem in 03+ 1ZZs, but as far as I know Toyota never issued any recalls or anything of the sort. How do I know this? I'm somewhat of an enthusiast, and I discovered this problem while browsing some Celica forums that I browse. If you looked it up on Wikipedia or similar sites, you wouldn't be able to find it, but its definitely a real problem and can be disastrous for the unaware: I've seen A LOT of 1ZZs that have died to rod-knock or that suffer other symptoms due to oil starvation, and nearly everyone that I know or have talked to with a 00-02 1ZZ tells me that they have to pour in a quart or two of oil regularly because it burns so quickly.

I've seen those same exact pop ups. And yes it is true we do know to click away if we see it ourselves and know enough common sense about computers to know what website looks trustworthy and what looks suspicious.

And yes cars are a huge deal. That sucks yours sucks so much oil. Ive gone through a quart in my eclipse (it has the 4g63 turbo) but thats because the seals on the turbo are going out. Knowing your way around what you own can save you a lot of money. Even if it is the basics. I don't need to spend money having malware removed off my computer because I know how to get rid of it myself. I don't need to spend money on taking my car to a shop if it over heats and get charged out the a$$ for a coolant refill because I know that basic thing to check. And my car has a dummy light (though its for the res not the actual coolant in circulation). Anyways knowing basics about stuff you use everyday will save you a lot of money and time.

I've seen those same exact pop ups. And yes it is true we do know to click away if we see it ourselves and know enough common sense about computers to know what website looks trustworthy and what looks suspicious.

And yes cars are a huge deal. That sucks yours sucks so much oil. Ive gone through a quart in my eclipse (it has the 4g63 turbo) but thats because the seals on the turbo are going out. Knowing your way around what you own can save you a lot of money. Even if it is the basics. I don't need to spend money having malware removed off my computer because I know how to get rid of it myself. I don't need to spend money on taking my car to a shop if it over heats and get charged out the a$$ for a coolant refill because I know that basic thing to check. And my car has a dummy light (though its for the res not the actual coolant in circulation). Anyways knowing basics about stuff you use everyday will save you a lot of money and time.

Nice I also run a DSM, mines a 91 4g63 6 bolt main with a Holset HX40 woo! I hope yours isn't a 7 bolt main because then you have to worry about crank walk.

Back