Media Storage Shelves

Widge

Gawd
If you guys are anything like me, you have tons of media, whether it be CD or DVD.

What are you all using for shelving to keep all your stuff in order? I've only got ~200 dvds so far, and I've been looking for good storage stuff but haven't found anything at any of the stores I've gone to. I'm looking for something made of wood and really sturdy, but everything I've seen holds like 60 DVDs and I'd need 4 of them, or they're made out of crappy wires and shit.

Post what you got! (and pics are definitely appreciated. :) )

We used to use some hanging wall shelves we got from hold everything but they ended up only holding about 36-40 dvd's per shelf. In our new house we are trying to find some storage solutions too so I am interested to see what other people are doing as well. We currently have 450+ dvds.

Everybody here keeps their hundreds of DVDs in milkcrates or something? C'mon, people, show what you got! ;)

DIY?! :cool:

shelves1.jpg

shelves2.jpg

Go to walmart, get a couple $45 book cases. You might then need to get some extra shelving material at home depot and such. Won't be the most sightly thing necessarily, but it would work. Both the two together and they won't go anywhere.

If you're worried about them sliding off the shelves or something, take some small strips of wood and screw those down in front of the DVD's to keep then from sliding out, then you just have to lift them up and out a bit.

Itickett,

Where did you get the brackets and what size wood did you use? My fiance wants to do something similiar in our theater as a way to keep the movies visibile but still out of the way.

Well i'm in the UK, but got the wood from local DIY shop Sapwoods, and the brackets from Homebase

Bighitter said:
Itickett,

Where did you get the brackets and what size wood did you use? My fiance wants to do something similiar in our theater as a way to keep the movies visibile but still out of the way.

You can get all of that stuff from Home Depot or Lowes. They have whole sections of their stores devoted to shelving like that. Even Wal-Mart or Ikea has stuff like that.

Actually right after I posted that I remembered showing my fiance some nice decrative L brackets a little over a year ago in HD. Thanks.

MDF (edit to note that you might want to get a laminated kind as bare MDF is kind of ugly) is fine, or pine.... 1/2" thick if it's only for DVDs/CDs/etc, 3/4" if you want to put anything heavier....I use 3/4" even just for DVDs, though. Here's what I built: http://www.antialiased.net/~dan/dvdshelf.jpg - was too lazy to stain it, maybe I will do that sometime. It's 3/4" pine, the back is some hard paneling stuff that works REALLY nicely for the purpose... Got all the stuff from Lowe's.

dandragonrage: looks nice. I was really cheap/lazy and made a 3' high by 8' wide shelf out of plywood. It actually came out pretty nice, considering it was just plywood and only took 2 hours to make...

Thanks. I'm not much of a carpenter so I'm just glad it came out straight :D Mine's 3'x6'. I could have fit another shelf in there, really.

Back