Media PC problems with DVD protection

Langly

Supreme [H]ardness
So my problem, we have one of the new HP z557's, a home theatre PC. Currently we have a dell 2405FP and a projector hooked up. The projector is hooked up using component. Our problem is, that we cannot play our dvd's on our projector because of a copy protection error. We can play Lord of the rings and a few others, but Disney and Lucas have a different protection on there DVD's. We want to be able to utilize our speaker set-up and projector to watch our DVD's but I cannot figure out how to get past the copy protection. We are thinking once we get our converter for our DVI cable to work on the projector that we can watch them but we are confused.

Any help?

I assume the specs in your signature are the machine you are using...

The ATI DVI-->Component converter adheres to the Macro*Vision standard, so it will not allow you to play Macro*Vision encoded DVD movies at higher than 480p resolutions. You would either have to connect via DVI to the projector or to drop your resolution to 640x480. You may also be able to fund (build?) a VGA --> Component converter. I don't know much about them so can't be of much help there...

i appreciate the responses so far, great to learn more about my vid card xtant3150 :p. The machine in question is actually a brand new HP media PC.

So heres an update, I havnt used any of the software suggusted yet (which I will try them tomorow) we found out that when we are using companent to connect to the projector, we cant watch the lucas DVD's or Disney ones. But when we do dual monitor mode on the 2405 FP and run a vga and a DVI into the monitor and just switch the modes on it, we can watch those DVD's.

im thinking theres a software lock I have to bypass for the component. Thankfully, we are going to get a nice long VGA cable for the projector and use the DVI to the 2405fp and things should work fine.

If your running component and a set res, for example 1280x768, your output is going to be changed to 720x480 for DVDs. This is because your using an analog connection and Hollywood thinks your a dirty pirate.

But this doesn't explain your orginal problem, one I don't really have much of an answer for. For awhile now I've been noticing that people are having alot more trouble playing certain DVDs with MCE, it's always the same set of DVDs too. Ripping the DVDs to the harddrive seems to get around it.

I don't use MCE so I don't have any problem playing those DVDs.

Back