Media Computer for Family

Hey guys,

I haven't been in the computer scene since Core 2 Duos were the hot stuff, and everyone was trying to overclock their C2D 6400 Conroes... anyways, I have a build question.

I need a motherboard, RAM, and CPU (and cooler) for a general use computer running Windows 7 for my mother. I have everything else required. The computer will be running HD media in addition to the day to day browsing, so it'll be doing Quasi Media Centre duties.

What I have to use:

- AMD 6850 Video Card
- 1 TB Hard Drive
- 850 W Corsair Power Supply
- DVD Burner
- Case

So I guess I won't need integrated video, but integrated audio is okay. I have a budget of $200-250. What can I do with that? I'd prefer to stay Intel.

Is there any reason why the following wouldn't work?

$121 - Intel Core i3-3220
$65 - MSI B75MA-P45
$45 - Corsair Value Select 8GB DDR3 1333 DIMM
=====
$231 - Subtotal (not including taxes or rebates)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup. As for the video card, the onboard video of that CPU should handle media center duties just fine. Try it first and see if it's to your liking. Might as well cut down on heat and power usage.

Also, what case will you be reusing?

Yup. As for the video card, the onboard video of that CPU should handle media center duties just fine. Try it first and see if it's to your liking. Might as well cut down on heat and power usage.

Also, what case will you be reusing?

There's onboard video? Didn't even know. It seems like a waste of a 6850, especially since utilities are included in her rent.

I'm using one of the Velocity Micro Lian Lis, full sized ATX.

There's onboard video? Didn't even know. It seems like a waste of a 6850, especially since utilities are included in her rent.
Yes there's onboard video: It's integrated directly with the CPU. As for the HD 6850, if heat and electricity usage isn't an issue, then by all means use the HD 6850.

You could always sell it to help alleviate the cost of the build. Seems from a quick search that it'll effectively half the cost of your build as they sell for ~$120 used.

Putting into perspective (from a performance aspect) from your C2D days, in 2011 I upgraded to an i5 760 that I still use to this day. Gaming, multitasking, I can't get this thing to slow down. It's been a great CPU so far, and it was an ENORMOUS upgrade from my E6600.

Hope this helps,
-I3

Back