Media Center Guide Download issues?

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Any others having issues getting Windows Media Center to download channel guide.

I am in Canada, so it might only be effecting us, where Microsoft doesn't seem to officially support Media Center.

They recently changed providers from Zap2It to Rovi. You'll need to setup your listings again as the name has likely changed.

Yeah... there's reasons I dumped Media Center for NextPVR.. MC has always sucked at grabbing listings.

My last HTPC was a Media Center box. Wouldn't ever grab listings on it's own, I had to manually tell it to fetch them. Even then it would fail quite a bit.

Vs. NextPVR and a sub to Schedules Direct? Zero issues with the listings or the program so far. The only ongoing issues are with the tuner (HDHR Prime) and signal strength.

They recently changed providers from Zap2It to Rovi. You'll need to setup your listings again as the name has likely changed.

I tried editing listings for channels but they are the same as before.

I may be screwed as I am in Canada, and we have to hack MC to get HD channels to work at all.

Yeah... there's reasons I dumped Media Center for NextPVR.. MC has always sucked at grabbing listings.

I have used WMC for 5+ years without issues (other than hacking it to get HD working in Canada).

I don't want to end up paying ongoing fees for guide information, so the third party solutions are out for me.

I managed to get guide working again by redoing everything.

Now I have a really weird issue.

On half my channels. Recording doesn't work. It says no signal.

These channels work fine when watching live TV, but even if it is already running live tv and push the red button to record what I am watching, it loses signal.

I have used WMC for 5+ years without issues (other than hacking it to get HD working in Canada).

I don't want to end up paying ongoing fees for guide information, so the third party solutions are out for me.

There's other free solutions out there for listings (mc2xml, zap2xml) schedules direct was just the one I went with given it involved the least amount of effort.

There's other free solutions out there for listings (mc2xml, zap2xml) schedules direct was just the one I went with given it involved the least amount of effort.

That is why I stuck with WMC. Least amount of effort and free. Some script to scrape a web page is always going to run into issues, when they change the web page. Zap has no interest in making scraping easy.

I now have the guide cutover working with WMC, just one channel missing. Probably good for another 5 years until they stop supporting Win7.

That is why I stuck with WMC. Least amount of effort and free. Some script to scrape a web page is always going to run into issues, when they change the web page. Zap has no interest in making scraping easy.

I now have the guide cutover working with WMC, just one channel missing. Probably good for another 5 years until they stop supporting Win7.

Yeah.. right now i'm just biding my time until Silicon Dust gets their recording solution finished. I was content to just leave things on WMC but things kind of utterly broke on that box and I was losing recordings so... out the door it went.

Anyone know where to get MC if you accidentally uninstalled it? It's no longer available for download from Microsoft

Anyone know where to get MC if you accidentally uninstalled it? It's no longer available for download from Microsoft

You don't download it from anywhere. You install it from the Windows features section of the "Programs and Features" control panel. Assuming you are using a version that is licensed for it (Windows 8/8.1 Pro with Media Center, Any Windows 7 version that is not Starter)

Back