Medal of Honor: Warfighter Gameplay Performance Review @ [H]

Brent_Justice

Medal of Honor: Warfighter Gameplay Performance Review - Danger Close Games and EA Games recently released the 14th installment of the Medal of Honor series, Medal of Honor: Warfighter. The game uses the Frostbite 2 engine which was made popular by delivering realistic graphics and physics in Battlefield 3. We will be finding out if the image quality has improved or stayed the same compared to BF3, and what kind of hardware is needed to take full advantage of the game.

the SP had its moments, the game was short but decent. Worth the $30 and the play through. I was going to pass on COD BO2 but the awful MP in MOHW forced me to pre-order COD BO2. I need to get my MP shooter fix and MOHW online is terrible (hit detection sucks, guns feel way underpowered, someone from the other team always spawns behind you) and riddled with cheaters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvrnW6-fPDo&feature=plcp).

Sad and no word on any patches from Danger Close they have absolutely no community manager or communication with the community.

I am surprised to see the 7950 beat the 670 here. Obviously the AMD driver team has really accomplished something with Cat. 12.11. Hopefully the bigwigs keep the layoffs away from that area.

Here is hoping the next game we look at, Call of Duty: Black Ops II is both more fun, exciting, and more graphically challenging.

That is a joke right, Kyle? (or who ever wrote that)
We both know what engine BO2 is going to use.

That is a joke right, Kyle? (or who ever wrote that)
We both know what engine BO2 is going to use.

It'll be the first DX11 support for CoD on the PC, I'm looking forward to seeing what its all about. I always reserve judgement until we can test it, but I am looking forward to it. MoH was a BIG letdown. I thought this game might replace one of the games we use, and add it to our gaming suite, but after evaluating it, this game is not worthy to be in our suite, and it seems there is a lot of negative feedback about the gameplay, its not very popular in the end, so a huge letdown. CoD is one of those games that may be worthy, but we will see. It has potential at least to be more popular than MoH, but I'll look at forum feedback, and our own evaluation of performance and see how it all goes. I'm dying to add some new games to our gaming suite, and update games, but I keep getting let down game after game. Previous to this, I looked at the new NFS game, we didn't even a publish an article on it, completely not worth our time, and neither was Dishonored sadly, while Dishonored was fun in gameplay, it was no a graphics challenge at all, in fact I was very disappointed in the graphics quality for a 2012 game, it could have been a lot better with the engine it is using, but it seems they hit the lowest common denominator with that game. I'm looking forward to testing CoD, and then Assassins Creed III, those 2 games are games for us to watch this month.

Last edited:
MOH:WF is a disappointment all the way around, just another money grab from EA with BETA access to BF4 thrown in for bait ( just like the last disappointment known as MOH ).
MOH was supposed to be EA's answer to COD, but it failed miserably, so they then "Broadened the appeal" of BF3 to include gaming elements of COD. This move changed the game to the point that it's not really a BF game nor a COD style game, completely alienating it's customer base.

From a gaming community leaders point of view it's just awful, and not even worth calling a ALPHA stage game. No VIOP, in game chat, chat spam, worse hit detection then BF3 and a patch cycle slower then BF3 ( how that is possible I don't know). All of this disappointment still comes with a .25 cent per slot surcharge just like BF3 over and above our Server cost, it come to about $62 a month extra.

Antialiasing Deferred : This setting can be enabled at 2X and 4X, or disabled. Antialiasing Post is the same thing as MSAA. This graphics setting has the largest impact on performance for both AMD and NVIDIA video cards. Enabling this will greatly reduce aliasing by smoothing edges of objects in game.

Shouldn't it say Antialiasing Deferred?

Previous to this, I looked at the new NFS game, we didn't even a publish an article on it, completely not worth our time,.

I am curious as to why. Was it that:
  • It wasn't graphically demanding?
  • It was too buggy to bother with?
  • Game was just not fun?

I thought you might include that game as well and was looking forward to it since I own it also. But I am just curious as to the specific reason(s).

I am curious as to why. Was it that:
  • It wasn't graphically demanding?
  • It was too buggy to bother with?
  • Game was just not fun?

I thought you might include that game as well and was looking forward to it since I own it also. But I am just curious as to the specific reason(s).

Game is locked with VSYNC on, switches between 30/45/60 fps, I could not find any way to disable it through any config files. It will take a game patch to include a VSYNC option. Also , the game was very laggy and seemed like it shouldn't be as slow as it was, it could be vsync related, but at any rate it won' work for us for testing.

The game also does not support any in-game AA options at all. It seems to enable a permanent shader based AA (I think its FXAA but not sure) but you cannot turn it off, and you cannot enable MSAA. I thought the graphics looked good, but I wish we had AA control and VSYNC control.

Remember back to the last NFS game, NFS The Run, they shipped that game with a 30fps cap, which made no sense, it took several months before they got a patch out that raised the cap on the game. Seems the same mistakes were made with the newest NFS Game, and once again no AA controls. I'm continually let down with the "console'ness" of these options in the latest NFS games, the last few have been pretty bad about this. Also, I read a lot of feedback about the game, and a lot of people are saying it is basically a clone of the Burnout series, and not really true to the NFS series, it has a lot of negative feedback in forums about the gameplay. I don't think it will be as popular as the last NFS game, or the ones before that.

As always this performance review is top notch, but honestly I dont care for this game and hope you guys dont spend too much time with it on future video card reviews.

Game is locked with VSYNC on, switches between 30/45/60 fps, I could not find any way to disable it through any config files. It will take a game patch to include a VSYNC option. Also , the game was very laggy and seemed like it shouldn't be as slow as it was, it could be vsync related, but at any rate it won' work for us for testing.

The game also does not support any in-game AA options at all. It seems to enable a permanent shader based AA (I think its FXAA but not sure) but you cannot turn it off, and you cannot enable MSAA. I thought the graphics looked good, but I wish we had AA control and VSYNC control.

Remember back to the last NFS game, NFS The Run, they shipped that game with a 30fps cap, which made no sense, it took several months before they got a patch out that raised the cap on the game. Seems the same mistakes were made with the newest NFS Game, and once again no AA controls. I'm continually let down with the "console'ness" of these options in the latest NFS games, the last few have been pretty bad about this. Also, I read a lot of feedback about the game, and a lot of people are saying it is basically a clone of the Burnout series, and not really true to the NFS series, it has a lot of negative feedback in forums about the gameplay. I don't think it will be as popular as the last NFS game, or the ones before that.

Cool because that was exactly my experience. I just wanted to confirm my own suspicions. I'm still on the fence on the gameplay aspect but the technical aspects I can definitely concur with you on.

Question, would Nvidia's adaptive vsynch work or help fix the inconsistent vsynch performance? I am going to try when I get home tonight. But based on your knowledge, what would you wager?

It'll be the first DX11 support for CoD on the PC, I'm looking forward to seeing what its all about. I always reserve judgement until we can test it, but I am looking forward to it. MoH was a BIG letdown. I thought this game might replace one of the games we use, and add it to our gaming suite, but after evaluating it, this game is not worthy to be in our suite, and it seems there is a lot of negative feedback about the gameplay, its not very popular in the end, so a huge letdown. CoD is one of those games that may be worthy, but we will see. It has potential at least to be more popular than MoH, but I'll look at forum feedback, and our own evaluation of performance and see how it all goes. I'm dying to add some new games to our gaming suite, and update games, but I keep getting let down game after game. Previous to this, I looked at the new NFS game, we didn't even a publish an article on it, completely not worth our time, and neither was Dishonored sadly, while Dishonored was fun in gameplay, it was no a graphics challenge at all, in fact I was very disappointed in the graphics quality for a 2012 game, it could have been a lot better with the engine it is using, but it seems they hit the lowest common denominator with that game. I'm looking forward to testing CoD, and then Assassins Creed III, those 2 games are games for us to watch this month.

It's fair to keep an open mind regarding upcoming releases but let's be honest -- BO2 will most likely be tailored to consoles which means the textures and engine will be scaled to aging hardware. They won't be investing resources sprucing it up for PC when they've shown little to no respect for the PC platform since CoD4. We'll likely see a few advanced lighting options with the rest of DX11 being used for performance optimization. On top of that, I expect very few graphics options.

It's fair to keep an open mind regarding upcoming releases but let's be honest -- BO2 will most likely be tailored to consoles which means the textures and engine will be scaled to aging hardware. They won't be investing resources sprucing it up for PC when they've shown little to no respect for the PC platform since CoD4. We'll likely see a few advanced lighting options with the rest of DX11 being used for performance optimization. On top of that, I expect very few graphics options.

You'd be wrong, they already stated this a while back:

We have also added more “quality vs performance” options than ever before so you can customize your experience to either run faster or to satisfy your taste in eye candy.

Black Ops II PC features enhanced lighting, shadows, antialiasing, bloom, depth of field, ambient occlusion, and other enhanced effects that are still in the works. And the game can run at higher resolutions and higher framerates on the PC.

AA options include CSAA, TXAA, MSAA and FXAA.

As always this performance review is top notch, but honestly I dont care for this game and hope you guys dont spend too much time with it on future video card reviews.

It won't be used in the future, we wanted to hit on it one time, see how it looks compared to BF3 (same engine and all) and get performance information for people who might be interested in playing it. We did not spend as much time on this game, as we have done other games in the past, we knew it required the most efficient use of our time, and to reduce a lengthy review process on it. The time spent on this game was a lot less than other games we've evaluated. Now we can point people to this evaluation, if they are interested in performance and IQ, and it lets you know where the cards sit compared to each other.

I think its very telling that even though it uses the same engine as BF3, it's been one year now since BF3 came out, but the graphics in this game don't represent any evolution on the graphics engine, at all. I find that saddening in 2012, and I think that's information worth knowing. We also learned that the AMD cards, with the new drivers, really are doing "better" than their NV counterparts in current games. This is also interesting information that is useful.

I'm overall dissapointed in a lot of 2012 games so far, especially this fall. I'm constantly being letdown as a gamer, and a graphics/hardware enthusiast. I hope things pick up this month and next. We have interesting games to look forward to, CoD, Assassins Creed, FarCry 3, Metro Last Light, and heck even Crysis 3.

Here are the graphics advancements for the PC version:

DX11
Reveal mapping (improved texture blending)
Water effects
Improved lighting effects
Lens flare effects
HDR lighting
Bounce lighting
Self-shadowing
Intersecting shadows

I'm overall dissapointed in a lot of 2012 games so far, especially this fall. I'm constantly being letdown as a gamer, and a graphics/hardware enthusiast. I hope things pick up this month and next. We have interesting games to look forward to, CoD, Assassins Creed, FarCry 3, Metro Last Light, and heck even Crysis 3.

[...]

it is basically a clone of the Burnout series, and not really true to the NFS series, it has a lot of negative feedback in forums about the gameplay.

[...]

I'm looking forward to these reviews. The last three games I bought were not up to my expectations, not so much image quality wise, but gameplay wise. I'm not going to complain about NFS's IQ, but I absolutely HATE the way the game plays. I have about 8-9 hours in it so far and the way the vehicles handle is maddening. Before now I''d just chalked it up to the fact I'd been playing a bunch of sim racers and skimped on the arcade style games.

Glad to know it isn't just me/my rig. The game has also been extraordinarily buggy for me. Same thing with MoH:WF. If my brother and a friend of his decide to pick up BO2, I may actually buy the game. But, that's enough off topic junk from me.

Brent - I agree about the quality of games lately. To state the console is killing PC games would be the understatement of the year. It seems the quality of the ports has gotten worse over the last few months.

I'm hoping Treyarch does the PC right, from the information pcdev has been putting on twitter it sound like they are. 200 fps max on ranked matches, options to cap or unlimited fps. FOV max to 80 - over that it was breaking things graphically. We should have sensitivity sliders, etc. All these options will be available in MP, SP and Zombies. As for the implementation of DX11 I can't say they've released anything specifically showing PC graphics.

NFS MW 2012 is crap - the controls are mushy, the cap of 60 fps is ridiculous, lack of graphic and controller options is frustrating. Too many uncalled for fps slowdowns.

It seems the norm now is to release a shitty port, while the community hopes it gets fixed and waits for patches.

Ghost Recon Future Solider anyone? Community was dead before the game was working for most - everything about DX11 and the PR spin about how great it was going to look was an absolute lie. That game still makes me mad, I refuse to play it.

MOHW - needs Aim down the sight sensitivity slider, FOV slider, remove sprint FOV change vs walking.. wtf?? MP spawns suck hard, still waiting for that this game to be fixed. cheating rampant now too! Good thing it was only $30 campaign was only about 3 hours.

I don't understand how a shooter can come out with FOV of 60... don't devs read forums? don't they read the criticisms when other games are released? Its the same thing over and over, game is released for PC with locked 60 FOV, everyone bitches, game dev doesn't understand what FOV is and needs to "report this to their team for investigation". Nothing gets fixed, they argue with the community, game dies, next POS gets released we all move on. At least Treyarch is trying with black ops 2.

I could go on ... but I wont...

DX11
Water effects
Lens flare effects
HDR lighting
Bounce lighting
Self-shadowing
Intersecting shadows

I hope we see a nice difference with those additions but I bet it will still be way behind current gen PC games and easily maxed out. Sorry for being negative (I hope I'm wrong), I just don't see them investing in PC with the majority of the $$$ in consoles with aging hardware.

Unfortunately, I'll most likely be stuck buying the 360 version regardless for local co-op zombies with the woman.

Hi Brent,

A little bit off-topic, but here’s hoping that you can at least consider this feedback.

Isn’t it time that you start really pushing 3D gaming in your benchmarks and your articles?, I know that you guys consider a more immersive experience eyefinity (or surround gaming), but you should really take a look at the state-of-the-art of today’s 3D gaming (mainly AMD graphics card + Tridef3D as it is a much better solution that Nvidia’s 3D Vision). There is really no way back: once you start gaming with a proper 3D solution 2D seems soooooo dated (regardless of resolution, Antialias level or FOV provided by surround gaming).

Please consider a ghost-free setup like a DLP proyector provides (i.e. ACER 5360BD), otherwise the experience is downgraded a lot and loses it’s immersive potential.

Hope that you seriously consider this feedback as I really think that we would all benefit from your site giving 3D gaming the push forwards that it deserves (which is inevitable and is happening regardless, but the pace is so slow).

BTW: Medal of Honor with Tridef3D and good AA is fucking unbelievable, as Sleeping Dogs is as well (graphically speaking).

MOH:WF is a disappointment all the way around, just another money grab from EA with BETA access to BF4 thrown in for bait ( just like the last disappointment known as MOH ).
MOH was supposed to be EA's answer to COD, but it failed miserably, so they then "Broadened the appeal" of BF3 to include gaming elements of COD. This move changed the game to the point that it's not really a BF game nor a COD style game, completely alienating it's customer base.

From a gaming community leaders point of view it's just awful, and not even worth calling a ALPHA stage game. No VIOP, in game chat, chat spam, worse hit detection then BF3 and a patch cycle slower then BF3 ( how that is possible I don't know). All of this disappointment still comes with a .25 cent per slot surcharge just like BF3 over and above our Server cost, it come to about $62 a month extra.

I know this is a little off topic, but I wanted to run with what you posted. Remember when COD was Activision's answer to Medal of Honor? Hell, I think the best games in the series are the ones on the original Playstation. The soundtrack was brilliant, and the games were just so much fun! It was World War II, but without any of the "seriousness" of the later games. Throwing a grenade and watching the block-headed (literally!) Nazi soldiers RUN AND PICK UP THE GRENADE, while it explodes in their faces was just hilarious!

Oh EA - why can't you make games the way you used to?

Great review.

Color me not impressed.

They really need to get their act together with water, it looks so fake.

The shadows cast on the water are terrible.

The hard edges bother me as well.

Maybe I am expecting to much, but I feel disappoint with how the gfx are stagnating in games.

DX11
Water effects
Lens flare effects
HDR lighting
Bounce lighting
Self-shadowing
Intersecting shadows

That's a pretty decent list. I skipped MW3 however, I'll be giving Blops2 a try.

I thought it was obvious that the MOH series use whatever engine the last Battlefield game used, largely unaltered- Danger Close is not an engine developer (any more).

Battlefield 4 should be an improvement; also, don't expect ****ing anything from the CoD clowns. They make content, not engines, like Danger Close.

"Here is hoping the next game we look at, Call of Duty: Black Ops II is both more fun, exciting, and more graphically challenging."

lol how could you type this with a straight face.

i'm still on the ground laughing!

"Here is hoping the next game we look at, Call of Duty: Black Ops II is both more fun, exciting, and more graphically challenging."

lol how could you type this with a straight face.

i'm still on the ground laughing!

with the state of MOHW, it wouldn't take much to be more fun, exciting and graphically challenging. A turd has MOHW beat.

For me, MOH and COD are for single-player productions. I want a good show. For multi-player, I'll be in Battlefield. If I just wanted to shoot people, I'd still be in Counter-Strike.

As someone else pointed out:

"Antialiasing Post is the same thing as FXAA."

Very next paragraph:

"Antialiasing Post is the same thing as MSAA."

I resally enjoy the MP aspect of the game. Certainly not the type of game for people who like shooters involving jumping around everywhere (thank God). It definitely has it's problems, but with some good patches it could be great.

With regards to the core game though, I thought the MP side ran on Frostbite 1.5 while the SP was Frostbite 2. Anybody know for sure?

Games today so disappoint, grafix have not developed nearly as far as they could have. I feel these developers have milked the cash cow far to long, Where the hell is totally imersive virtual gaming? With how fat and lazy Americans have become this would be a great solution.

Games today so disappoint, grafix have not developed nearly as far as they could have. I feel these developers have milked the cash cow far to long, Where the hell is totally imersive virtual gaming? With how fat and lazy Americans have become this would be a great solution.

It's in the labs next to the next-gen consoles, waiting for Americans to make money again so they can afford them.

Back