Medal of Honor Pacific Assault Is Free On Origin

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you interested, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault is now free on Origin. As with all the "On The House" games offered by EA / Origin, all you need is a free account and you are all set.

Nowhere near as bad as either GFWL or Uplay at least, those two are classic text book case on how NOT to program a digital distribution platform.

What I'm wondering, does MP still work?, EA master servers for this title where retired about 4-5 years ago. Not sure how they would list any MP servers running.

What I'm wondering, does MP still work?, EA master servers for this title where retired about 4-5 years ago. Not sure how they would list any MP servers running.
EA has a habit of leaving any game with an online component out in the cold after a few years.

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault for PC Download | Origin Games

"Please note: As of June 2014, our friends at GameSpy ended all hosted game services, which affects the online multiplayer aspect of this game. Because of technical challenges and concerns, we do not have a solution to keep these services up and running at this time, and online services for this game and other EA games on the GameSpy platform have ended. We are still investigating a range of options to restore official online functionality and multiplayer gameplay for these titles. 
You can find more information on this change at ea.com, and find the full list of impacted games on our Online Service Updates page."

Nowhere near as bad as either GFWL or Uplay at least, those two are classic text book case on how NOT to program a digital distribution platform.

I would actually deal with either of those over the stupid mess that was BF4 with their Origin, that launches a web browser, where you needed a stupid plugin for it, which happen to randomly not work.

I would actually deal with either of those over the stupid mess that was BF4 with their Origin, that launches a web browser, where you needed a stupid plugin for it, which happen to randomly not work.

No idea about that, don't have BF4 :p.

"Please note: As of June 2014, our friends at GameSpy ended all hosted game services, which affects the online multiplayer aspect of this game. Because of technical challenges and concerns, we do not have a solution to keep these services up and running at this time, and online services for this game and other EA games on the GameSpy platform have ended. We are still investigating a range of options to restore official online functionality and multiplayer gameplay for these titles. 
You can find more information on this change at ea.com, and find the full list of impacted games on our Online Service Updates page."

So, after we paid full purchase price, they are taking away half of the product we purchased? That's like buying a car then 5 years later the car company comes and takes the V8 and puts a 4 cylinder in. Without giving any money. It is nice to hear they are claiming to be "investigating".

So, after we paid full purchase price, they are taking away half of the product we purchased? That's like buying a car then 5 years later the car company comes and takes the V8 and puts a 4 cylinder in. Without giving any money. It is nice to hear they are claiming to be "investigating".
I can see you're not familiar with many EA games. Not only is this so common to be a standard practice for them, sometimes they flat out make the game unplayable. Battleforge is an example of that.

This is only how Battlefield 3 and later games work. No other multiplayer game on Origin launches like this. It was a design choice by DICE. My only issue with it is that there is no version that works with 64-bit browsers, and they apparently have no intention of ever making a version of the plugin that does.

This is only how Battlefield 3 and later games work. No other multiplayer game on Origin launches like this. It was a design choice by DICE. My only issue with it is that there is no version that works with 64-bit browsers, and they apparently have no intention of ever making a version of the plugin that does.

No, I know that. I have BF, Dead Space, and a bunch of other games on Origin. I wish they would have not bothered making Origin at all. I mean another service just for EA games. Just like stupid UPlay for nothing but Ubisoft games. So now, I have Steam, Origin, UPlay, and Battlenet.

I can see you're not familiar with many EA games. Not only is this so common to be a standard practice for them, sometimes they flat out make the game unplayable. Battleforge is an example of that.

I guess not... I used to have many EA games. I haven't played much the last 4 years or so until a few months ago. I guess I will avoid anything from EA.

In. I don't have a problem with Origin. Much better than the cluster that GFWL was.

Loss of multiplayer is nothing new either....and it's not just EA.

Quit the bitching......either take the free game or don't. No one is forcing you.

In. I don't have a problem with Origin. Much better than the cluster that GFWL was.

Loss of multiplayer is nothing new either....and it's not just EA.

Quit the bitching......either take the free game or don't. No one is forcing you.

1000% this. I have no idea why people feel the need to complain about a free game.

They want folks to use their service so badly they have to give games away for free.

No, I know that. I have BF, Dead Space, and a bunch of other games on Origin. I wish they would have not bothered making Origin at all. I mean another service just for EA games. Just like stupid UPlay for nothing but Ubisoft games. So now, I have Steam, Origin, UPlay, and Battlenet.

You forgot to mention the best digital download retailer in the business: GOG.

1000% this. I have no idea why people feel the need to complain about a free game.
I think it's less about complaining about a free game so much as not forgetting how many problems their policies have caused with games to be wary about wanting to do more with them. The free game isn't the problem, EA not giving a shit what happens to their games is.

why couldn't it have been airborne, that was at least fun...pacific sucked ass.

I got MOH in a Humble Bundle deal about 2 years ago and have it installed but still haven't even played it once. May as well get PA too and never play that also seeing as I have Origin already due to BF4.

Origin is tons better than Uplay and is even less invasive than Steam so cut the BS.

Yeah but you can still play it locally, so if you have a LAN party coming up like I do it is a pretty great free game. Any game with an Assault mode makes for good LAN party fun.

and is even less invasive than Steam so cut the BS.

How specifically do you believe Origin is less invasive than Steam?

Please tell me to you think Origin doesn't mine the shit out of your PC and collect stats. They do, a DICE dev admitted they collect data, they just aren't transparent like Valve who makes it public with steam stats. And I'd much rather trust Valve than monolithic EA if I had to choose.

How specifically do you believe Origin is less invasive than Steam?

Please tell me to you think Origin doesn't mine the shit out of your PC and collect stats. They do, a DICE dev admitted they collect data, they just aren't transparent like Valve who makes it public with steam stats. And I'd much rather trust Valve than monolithic EA if I had to choose.

I was referring to the popup ads Steam puts in my face every time I fire up Steam, EA doesn't do that nearly as much. Anyway, if you are already using Steam there is no reason to not use Origin too.

I was referring to the popup ads Steam puts in my face every time I fire up Steam, EA doesn't do that nearly as much. Anyway, if you are already using Steam there is no reason to not use Origin too.

Those can be disabled in settings.

So you're upset at Steam for not knowing how to configure the settings?
They have a "Help" section for that even...

What I find funny is EA was running games just fine on Steam and they thought to themselves, "You know what? Let's start a brand new distribution platform, from scratch, and divert funds that could be used towards customer service or game development into this dumpster fire. That way our customers will have to manage two separate accounts for zero reasons; they'll love it!"

What I find funny is EA was running games just fine on Steam and they thought to themselves, "You know what? Let's start a brand new distribution platform, from scratch, and divert funds that could be used towards customer service or game development into this dumpster fire. That way our customers will have to manage two separate accounts for zero reasons; they'll love it!"
Well they lose about 30% going through Steam, I can understand them wanting their own service, it's their other practices I don't like.

I'm not upset at either Steam or Origin, was pointing out that neither are bad and your whining is uncalled for.

They are getting desperate but they couldn't get me to use origin is they paid me LOL

BF3 did the same thing.

Back