Mechwarrior series

kreidel

Limp Gawd
Which one do most people still play? I have played them all but it has been so long ago I didnt know which one I could find the most people playing.

Is there any word on a new Mechwarrior? That would be nice to see a DX10 version.

i love this series. I have played it since the original on my 386 sx/16. I've owned them all, and have occassionally re-installed them for some nostalgia. I would LOVE to see FASA come out with a new version! Alas, I have heard nothing.

I've been trying to get the 3 Mechwarrior games for a while. I've probably bought the set 2-3 times already hah.

Very few mech games out there. And none of them do it for me. DX10 Mechwarrior would be incredible because it's one of those games where you could really feel like you were seated in a huge mech, and get the full effect of weapons hitting you.

I should really dig out my copy of MechWarrior 3.. M4 didn't do it for me, but 3 is one of my favorite games of all time.

I've played Mechwarrior 4 the most, but haven't played in years. Every time I see my Saitek x36 collecting dust in a drawer I consider reinstalling MW4 to see if anyone still plays, but I never do. Playing with friends was always the most fun and my friends have no desire to play it again.

If you're looking to scratch that mech itch and are low on cash, the MechCommander series is freeware. It's not even remotely a sim, but hey, its free.

http://www.mechcommander.org/

Mech 3 fan here. :) This game used to be such an obsession for me. I don't think anyone plays online anymore, however... and if perchance some people still did, I have no idea where my install disc is. :D

MW4 was more polished in many ways (weapons fire/heat management, and especially how well the single-player missions were designed), but I wasn't a big fan of how everything was so perfectly colorful in the game. It's aesthetically pleasing in a Blizzard kind of way, but to me MW needs more grit to its color. The next MW needs Unreal Tournament III-colorful, not Starcraft2-colorful (if this makes any sense). That said, I would love to see a new MW game with the darker feel of MW3.

Microsoft bought FASA interactive, so don't expect anything good from Fasa anymore. Even if it did come back, Microsoft would probably make the next Mechwarrior game an Xbox 360 exclusive.

I haven't bought a Mech game since Mech 2 Mercenaries. Which was amazing. And its the only one i have any desire to own.

Man, too bad EA scrapped BattleTech 3025...while it's not a hardcore sim like other MW games, but it was the most multiplayer fun I had back in the day.

loved MechWarrior... very much. The only game in my opinion to be just as immersive and fun would have to be the Armored Core series on the playstation. Those games are immersive and fun as hell, with tons of advancements and different looks.

So much love for the Mechwarrior series, so little love for the company that seems completely apathetic about bringing it back to life...

whats diff with vengence and mercenaries?

some different mechs and gear, but the biggest difference is in single player. vengeance's campaign was centered around a rebellion, while mercenaries' campaign just shuttled you around from planet to planet, earning cash to buy new mechs, weapons and allies.

Microsoft bought FASA interactive, so don't expect anything good from Fasa anymore. Even if it did come back, Microsoft would probably make the next Mechwarrior game an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Games for Windows, anybody? This would actually be a perfect game for this initiative, because it does not require (the game type) that you be able to have pinpoint accuracy...just arms, legs, torso, head, etc. I tihnk M$ could make a good run on this and cross-plat it. Anyone else?

Funny after watching Transformers the other day my first thought was that I'd seen my old Mechwarrior 3 box not long ago during a tidy up..... :D

I was too old for the Transformers cartoon so giant robot things on screen firing missiles at each other got me thinking...

Dibbs on movie rights!!!!

That would be awesome if the came out with a Mechwarrior movie.

The current state of PlanetSide has a lot of mech warrior feel, but I haven't played it for more then 10 mins snice it was in beta. I got the itch to play planetside becuase of MW series cause I was looking at some of the old games I grew up on and saw a planetside box at a store and saw it looked a lot like mechwarrior with out the same gameplay.

If they made an MMO of mechwarrior, my life would be over. Mechwarrior is more then just the huge mechs, there are small foot soldiers to small mechs, to the guys like Madcats and Thors and thing even bigger then those. It could have some good stories and I am sure there is a whole series of lore. They even have mechwarrior in the clix time figures for a boardtype game now. I wish I had some friends that were into mechwarrior like me =/

I miss this series and the controller they made for the xbox is so bad ass. Now that I got a 360 I need to buy that thing and the 2 games for it just to get some MW fix. WTB MORE MW GAMES WITH SOME UBER GAMEPLAY!

Games for Windows, anybody? This would actually be a perfect game for this initiative, because it does not require (the game type) that you be able to have pinpoint accuracy...just arms, legs, torso, head, etc. I tihnk M$ could make a good run on this and cross-plat it. Anyone else?

this was sounding like a really good idea until the m$.

After seeing the semi-success of BattleTech: Firestorm, if whoever the rights owner decides to make a new game, they will have to support Multi-Monitors. But sadly there is no visible pc sequel in the future. :(

I think 2 was the best in the series, but the worst looking one.
I still play 4 every now and then just to play around with making crazy mech combos, like a daishi with ALL small lasers or a nova cat with all flamers, crazy stuff.

Its really been dead since FASA closed its doors with the rights bought by crappy companies. The battletech board game made a come back (board game started it all) but the crappy company who brought it back change it way to much including the prepainted plastic playing pieces which were nothing compared to the original pewter plus the lack of paper stat sheets etc.

At any rate the best fun I had was playing Mechcommander. Remember playing it online in a clan with campaigns fighting for planets etc. Was a ton of fun.

In fact there is something that recreates some of the fun from the boardgame. Open source but not sure how active the community is these days used to play it a while back.
http://megamek.sourceforge.net

If anyone has any other great links post them here.

The only mech game I enjoyed was mechwarrior2. played it on a pentium 166 w/ an ATI 3d RAGE card. LOVED IT. I never got a chance to play mech 3 and 4. I did play some console mechwarrior games but I didn't like the ones set in 3rd person and they seemed too cartoony. Mechwarrior is about gritty 31st century combat. heat loads, mass loads, parameters needing to be met.

Mechwarrior is more then just the huge mechs, there are small foot soldiers to small mechs, to the guys like Madcats and Thors and thing even bigger then those. It could have some good stories and I am sure there is a whole series of lore.

When I was in High school and working, my employer had this box with >10<20 Mechwarrior universe novels in the lost and found. No one knew why/when they got them. Each was up to (even a bit over) a couple hundred pages long.

Six months later I asked how I could have them. They made a note of my "claim", and in a month I could have them if there were no other "claims". A month later, I was neck deep in a "whole series of lore". I was mid to late high school, but some of those books were really good to me, at least at the time. I re-read a couple of the best after I finished all of them back then, but I have not touched them since. I wonder if I would still think they were that good, more than a decade later.

The only mech game I enjoyed was mechwarrior2. played it on a pentium 166 w/ an ATI 3d RAGE card. LOVED IT. I never got a chance to play mech 3 and 4. I did play some console mechwarrior games but I didn't like the ones set in 3rd person and they seemed too cartoony. Mechwarrior is about gritty 31st century combat. heat loads, mass loads, parameters needing to be met.

Oh, man. I played on a Diamond Stealth DRAM 2MB (2D only, remember those?) card and a 486DX2-80 (an AMD guy way back then, and with out even knowing it at the time). I had trouble with MW2: Mercenaries, but that was the best MW game in my opinion. Well, except for the Glide version of the first MW2 that was included in my friend's original 3DFX Monster3D. He got that card from the Incredible Universe "black hole" for $125 back when it was selling for $299. I remember thinking "$299 just for a 3d accelerator, that'll never catch on". lol

I am glad he did, the viewable distance in the Glide MW2 was as far as you like, as long as you had line of site. I would see mechs waiting around or on patrol @ >3KM in the distance. Way out of most weapon ranges. That was soooooooo realistic. Plus it was the first 3D accelerated game I played, so my jaw was on my chest most of the time I was playing on his (pentium-something) machine.

Good, good, good memories of the Mechwarrior series, all the way around. MS, please help a guy out...

That and Homeworld available in new DX10 versions would make me really happy. Really, really happy. :D

Loved the games as well. Mech 3 was probably the best because they took out legging in 4 (IIRC). I still have my old joystick laying around as well, always see it and think to fire up a game again.

Would love to see a new Mech Commander game as well but obviously won't be holding my breath on that.

MW3 > MW2 > MW4

I know i'm super cheap when it comes to upgrading my computer specs (see sig... yea I'm upgrading this xmas), but I would upgrade *tomorrow* if a new Mech game came out, its been too long!

Mechwarrior on today's hardware would be insane..... just imagine, it could have battles on Supreme Commander scale.... hundreds of Mechs, tanks, infantry.... seriously wicked battles with insane details...

this has to happen, damn you MS!

Hmm I haven't played Mechwarrior since it was originally released. I don't know how well it's held up over the years but games like Mechwarrior are what got me into PC gaming in the first place. It's a shame that they don't make PC games like this anymore. Simulation games are probably too complex for todays average gaming crowd.

I played MW1 and 2 and loved them on the PC. As far as recent titles, I know this is the PC forum, but has anyone played Chromehounds on the 360? I just picked it up for 15$ and the online is very immersive (still alot of people playing it too) almost endless customization as well.

my dream is to play a Mechwarrior (battletech) mmo with a 3-monitor rig and a Steel Battalion-like controller.

That would be orgasmic. *cries*

As to the op -- I would think that most people would either say 3 or 4, as 2 is getting too dated even for the most hardcore fan.

Ive always thought having a way to integrate MC and MW style would be awesome. One player setting waypoints and targets and (an)others doing the actual fighting.

I never got around to trying 3, but MW2 is what got me into PCs. I thought the visual style of MW4 was ugly, but "better". didn't get black knight but mercs has been a staple of our lans for a long time. Joysticks for the win!

In MW2 I glitched once making a mech and it let me remove heatsinks to like -200 tons. 10 ERLLs later...EVERYTHING dies rather quickly. flygirl, mightymouse (to move faster), coldmiser (10 ERLLs, remember?)...

They already did, pretty much.

Mechassault + Mechassault 2 on the Xbox.

i'm a big fan of mech 2,3, and battletech 3025. if anybody needs help getting mech 2 to work, shoot me a pm. everybody plays mech 3 on gamespy, again, send me a pm.

I played MW1 and 2 and loved them on the PC. As far as recent titles, I know this is the PC forum, but has anyone played Chromehounds on the 360? I just picked it up for 15$ and the online is very immersive (still alot of people playing it too) almost endless customization as well.

I wasn't online at the time, but I rented it for a bit. I liked it, but w/o multiplayer I eventually found an "easy button" config for each mission.

Online, now... hmmm.... $15, you say?

Well, I get paid here in a bit. I should be able to squeeze that in there.

Nice. :D Thanks! :cool:

Actually, I recall seeing this ina computer store in Manhattan. I remember hearing the disjointed computer voice say "Long Range Missles Loaded". I was hooked and bought MW2 and then Ghost Bear. Those were the good ol days. I think mine are the DOS versions though...this was PRE win 95 :eek:

ahh to good old gaming days of my youth. mechwarrior 2: mercenaries is in my opinion the pinnacle of mechwarrior goodness. I spent so much time playing that game it was nuts.

I would kill for another hardcore simulation style mechwarrior game.

There was going to be a Mechwarrior 5, however, Microsoft decided to cancel it (bastards). I loved Mechwarrior, and personally feel that 3 was the highpoint of the series (no game has ever made me feel so much like I am in a giant lumbering machine of death as I did with Mechwarrior 3) considering how they started to arcadeify number 4 (or at least that is what it felt like).

Back