Mechwarrior Online NDA Lifted!

It's much more fun when you play on the Unofficial Beta Teamspeak server with a group. It totally changes the game.

Anyway, here are some screenshots I just took while playing

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it but they REALLY need to have environmental destruction and better location damage effects. I mean even Mechwarrior 3 had better destruction, walking over vehicles/tree's, etc.

Just seems really weird to be going through a forest and just clipping through tree's without knocking them over and things.

I believe the mech to mech combat is better than MWLL, and they are adding environmental destruction at some point I believe.

Remember it's a real beta. They're still adding features/content, and next week the engine is going to be upgraded with DX11 support, among other things. Stuff like tutorials and knocking over trees is pretty low on the priority list for now.

That looks awesome. Any rough ETAs for open betas or release...or am I a little ahead of myself?

I watched some people playing it on Twitch.tv today. It's decent looking but probably not something I'd care to pay for (unless a lot changes between now and release). However, I would play it for free in a beta test or something.

Remember it's a real beta. They're still adding features/content, and next week the engine is going to be upgraded with DX11 support, among other things. Stuff like tutorials and knocking over trees is pretty low on the priority list for now.

Technically it's an alpha then. Beta indicates that it is feature-complete.

I am in when it is available. Kind of chilled on tribes and MWLL. Need a new MFPS.

Rendering a video. Frame rates are low (17-23) with FRAPs and my team lost badly. It was hard to play with low frame rates as well. But I did kill one enemy unit. :p

Since it's going to be F2P would definitely like to check it out at some point. I wouldn't pay money for it, but it looks like it would be a fun time killer sparingly.

They also really need:

-Tutorial
-Core meltdown explosions
I would also say it needs a singleplayer campaign, but I'd suspect their license doesn't allow for shipping a singleplayer campaign.

I'll get chewed out for saying it, but whatever. To me, Mechwarrior has always been about the singleplayer experience. Like I said before, MWO is vacuous. That's fine for Q3A and CS, but I want a Mechwarrior game with a little substance.

That said, it's a well-done, fun game that hits all the marks as far as an authentic piloting experience goes. They get props for that.

I would also say it needs a singleplayer campaign, but I'd suspect their license doesn't allow for shipping a singleplayer campaign.

I'll get chewed out for saying it, but whatever. To me, Mechwarrior has always been about the singleplayer experience. Like I said before, MWO is vacuous. That's fine for Q3A and CS, but I want a Mechwarrior game with a little substance.

That said, it's a well-done, fun game that hits all the marks as far as an authentic piloting experience goes. They get props for that.

Yeah they are definitely targeting the MP crowd. There was a HUGE MP community surrounding the originals and then on to MechCommander. There was someone amazing about being part of a group that was part of a much larger map. Deciding to invade planets etc and getting certain defined resources for each match. Enjoyed the shit out of it. Thats really what I cannot wait for them to add.

Never played the previous games but I agree with the notion that an SP campaign should be made.

Non destructable terrain (Ala BF3) is totally fucking lame. I played 2 times in Beta and said F this.

100 Ton Mech and I bounce off buildings.

Terrible terrible terrible.

I'm loving it so far. Modding my mechs is ridiculously fun. SO far my favorite mod has been my Raven. Dropped the engine for faster Xl version, and re-did the weapons loadout to be 1SRM6, 1 Lg laser, 1 Medium, and I filled the resulting tonnage gap with 2 more heat sinks.I can run'n'gun pretty well, spot with the Jenners and take a good beating without worrying about heat. It's the only build on which I have actually liked a LL.

Modred189 over there too btw...

They really need to add destruction/environment manipulation to this game as it just feels silly without it.

They also really need:

-Tutorial
-Core meltdown explosions

Tutorial is coming.

Last time i checked, Meltdowns are NOT on the list of planned features.
IMO, in a round-based multiplayer setting like this, it would be too easy to jihad a single mech into a group and do tons of damage. Especially when everybody's radar is line-of-sight only and you need to get in close to do anything anyway. Its not like MWLL where everybody has useful radars and spends most of the round emptying LRM's into the air.

Non destructable terrain (Ala BF3) is totally fucking lame. I played 2 times in Beta and said F this.

100 Ton Mech and I bounce off buildings.

Terrible terrible terrible.
Getting mad at a beta? After playing 2 times? Please. Thats like getting mad at your wife because she hasn't put mayo on your sandwich yet, when she has the mayo open in her hand ready to do so. Its not a finished product yet and you're already acting ripped off. :confused:

They really need to add destruction/environment manipulation to this game as it just feels silly without it.
This is on a planned list of features. Their only real limitation here is the Crytek engine.

After playing for a few months, I don't think it's going to matter to most people. I mean, it would be cool if trees fell over and stuff, but you really don't have much time to be worrying about that.
Once the $h!t hits the fan during theses matches, it gets too crazy to worry about whether the crappy container you just rounded is dented or scorched by incoming fire.

After playing for a few months, I don't think it's going to matter to most people. I mean, it would be cool if trees fell over and stuff, but you really don't have much time to be worrying about that.
Once the $h!t hits the fan during theses matches, it gets too crazy to worry about whether the crappy container you just rounded is dented or scorched by incoming fire.

True say. I've never thought of it like that. I keep thinking destruction is nice, but never really sat down and thought that it works in BF because of infinite respawn so you can plan and take advantage of it. In such a short game like MWO, it would be fluff.

Last time i checked, Meltdowns are NOT on the list of planned features.
IMO, in a round-based multiplayer setting like this, it would be too easy to jihad a single mech into a group and do tons of damage. Especially when everybody's radar is line-of-sight only and you need to get in close to do anything anyway. Its not like MWLL where everybody has useful radars and spends most of the round emptying LRM's into the air.

It worked fine in multiplayer for MW4...kinda comes with the territory.

Not really talking about denting stuff, more like how do all of my weapons and stuff shoot through tree's and what not like they are invisible? You need interaction with the environment or you might as well be playing in a huge open field.

Not really talking about denting stuff, more like how do all of my weapons and stuff shoot through tree's and what not like they are invisible? You need interaction with the environment or you might as well be playing in a huge open field.

Well, trees have never provided actual ability to block damage. In the TT, it only made it harder to hit people. I mean, think about it, what kind of resistance is a pine tree going to provide to a laser that melts advanced futuristic armor at almost a kilometer away?

Well, trees have never provided actual ability to block damage. In the TT, it only made it harder to hit people. I mean, think about it, what kind of resistance is a pine tree going to provide to a laser that melts advanced futuristic armor at almost a kilometer away?

When there's a whole forest of them, a lot. ;)

Don't underestimate the power of wood. :)

That's what she said.

so saw that one coming.

IT would be cool to see the trees fall down, or maybe even catch fire and increase temps, there is a lot of potential in this game, however people will and always have, abuse the system, you'll have some pug running around with 1 large lazer lighting the entire map on fire and lagging everyone out. I don't think comps are at a stage right now (not the average persons computer) that can handle that sort of detail yet.

However I'd really like some env destruction, knock down a tower, or a building that people are using to hide from LRMs. when you walk through trees knock them down, etc.

Casting right now with Teamspeak and music in the background 1280x720 (720p) @ 30fps. Come hang out.

One thing I'd like to see is Piranha balancing the game around their own rules, rather than strictly adhering to tabletop. Otherwise it just causes too many issues.

One thing I'd like to see is Piranha balancing the game around their own rules, rather than strictly adhering to tabletop. Otherwise it just causes too many issues.

The balancing is getting better. I no longer feel like I'm going up against an ENTIRE two lances full of Atli. That said, Are the repair bills for larger mechs more expensive than smaller ones?

it will be interesting to see what they do when clans invade and clan mechs / weapons become available. like Clan ER ppcs :|

Back