Mechwarrior Online, anyone looking foward?

Who is interested in MWO?

• Yes

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 68 23.6%
  • Never heard of it.

Votes: 30 10.4%

• Total voters
Been playing this for a couple weeks. It's pretty awesome to kill some time.

Is it still super grindy to get c-bills as a free player?

That was what turned me off of it originally, enjoyed the gameplay, but feeling like I'd have to grind 40+ hours per mech was a little discouraging.

And only EA can use Frostbite 2, so it's not like it was a possibility anyway.

Without destructable enviro, this game is a worthless pile of shit and a Mech Warrior game in name only.......a 100 ton behemoth bouncing off a building is comical.

Just imagine this game on FB2 engine....OMGWTFBBQSEX.

Man I really loved this game in Closed Beta, even bought a Legendary Founder's pack ($120), but the devs ended up being hilariously incompetent in a lot of ways and delayed some major, essential features by almost a year and still launched the game without a proper persistent metagame.

Not really surprised it's getting mediocre reviews.

Without destructable enviro, this game is a worthless pile of shit and a Mech Warrior game in name only.......a 100 ton behemoth bouncing off a building is comical.

Just imagine this game on FB2 engine....OMGWTFBBQSEX.
Mechs bounced off buildings in most of the early MechWarrior games.

Loving the Phoenix package so far (except Locusts) they have some really good stuff here.

I am really glad I recouped half of my money I spent on this game, however I still feel slighted they kept my founders money. I guess I will just chalk that up to "never again". PGI/IGP can suck it for ruining the MW franchise with this pile of steaming poo they call MWO. I do however gain some enjoyment from watching this game circle the drain as they keep pushing out more false promises that the remaining fanboys eat up with vigor. I really doubt this will be live in a year when they miss all their "2.0" B.S. and "community warfare" which is in the "design phase" as they call it. What a joke of a game.

bumping...

Started playing this like a week ago and I'm hooked.

UI2.0 did come out and its still alive and kicking a year later.....

bumping...

Started playing this like a week ago and I'm hooked.

UI2.0 did come out and its still alive and kicking a year later.....

They finally un-fucked the loadout screen since the UI2.0 update. A fairly important point, IMO.

They still haven't unfucked it in terms of confirmation prompts, though. They still seem to believe that the idea of users clicking things they intended to click is just preposterous.

I think just using it is a big example. UI 2.0 is atrocious and an affront to UX in general.

Since UI 2.0, I've pretty much stopped playing. Titanfall has taken over those duties completely, and I don't see myself going back any time soon. I might dip back in with the Clans arrival, but I'm not buying in.

UI 2.0 is pretty damn horrible. I mean, I can't find a single screen that shows me the weapons loadout of a given mech. The only way I can see of find ing that is to actually go into customizing the mech and search through each hit location.

Not to mention that even on a 1080p 24" screen, UI elements are incredibly tiny and hard to find, not to mention unintuitive. Or that my setting are constantly being reset (show founder's tag toggle constantly reverts to off). Or when you are editing weapons groups, the instructions have you using rt-ctrl and the arrows, instead of just letting you know you can click on the appropriate group for each weapon. But it doesn't tell you which arm the arm-mounted weapons are in.

Then there's the near pointlessness of certain weapons like the flamer (WTF ghost heat!?) and NARC, the lack of meaning to factions, no VOIP integration, lack of DX11 (still)... ad nauseum. I dropped a pretty penny on this game, and have been very disappointed (Founder and Phoenix).

my biggest complaint really is jst the lack of a mech lab that you can play around with, and test things out in the test arena.

Not being able to add something because you odn't have the c-bills means you can even just play with it and have to go outside MWO to do that and even then you can play test it before you decide to spend (either real or in game currency)

See, I kind of get that. I mean, this is a F2P game, which means everything is a commodity. So, they want you to actually get your feet wet and spend a few bucks, either on a few mechs, on MC etc, and then play. After a certain point, you collect enough mechs that you have a decent cross section of the weapons available in the game to play with on various builds.

Since UI 2.0, I've pretty much stopped playing. Titanfall has taken over those duties completely, and I don't see myself going back any time soon. I might dip back in with the Clans arrival, but I'm not buying in.

UI 2.0 is pretty damn horrible. I mean, I can't find a single screen that shows me the weapons loadout of a given mech. The only way I can see of find ing that is to actually go into customizing the mech and search through each hit location.

The mech details screen was added in the March 18th patch. All the mech sections and the components attached are all visible on a single screen now (sorry, no SS right now). Previously, you had to hover over the mech name which was a very poor way to view all the stats and weapons.

Not to mention that even on a 1080p 24" screen, UI elements are incredibly tiny and hard to find, not to mention unintuitive.

Try it on a 27" at 2560x1440 ;)

Then there's the near pointlessness of certain weapons like the flamer (WTF ghost heat!?) and NARC, the lack of meaning to factions, no VOIP integration, lack of DX11 (still)... ad nauseum. I dropped a pretty penny on this game, and have been very disappointed (Founder and Phoenix).

DX11 was added with the March 4th patch. Agreed on the other items though (I bought the founder package ages ago too)... I'm amazed that dev studios keep fucking up VOIP implementation. e.g. BF2 VOIP was fine, but BF3 VOIP was an epic fail. MWO's VOIP is also an epic fail. How hard is it to get VOIP right? It's not like we dont have 10+ year old games that figured out the best way to do implement it... :rolleyes:

The mech details screen was added in the . . .
Snip

. . .Agreed on the other items though (I bought the founder package ages ago too)... I'm amazed that dev studios keep fucking up VOIP implementation. e.g. BF2 VOIP was fine, but BF3 VOIP was an epic fail. MWO's VOIP is also an epic fail. How hard is it to get VOIP right? It's not like we dont have 10+ year old games that figured out the best way to do implement it... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the rundown. I stopped playing back in late february, so that explains some things. But yea, Counterstrike 1.4 had entirely passable VOIP, as have the various CODs. How do you not call them up, pay a cheap license and use it.
UNLESS... maybe they are, right now, riding the bleeding edge on server capacity and cost, and are not sure that the current amount of capacity they pay for can support the additional load of VOIP...

This game is not Mech Warrior / Battletech in any way shape or form. It is World of Tanks but taller.

With todays tech, making a real MW game should be a no brainer. Until I can strap into a machine that feels like a 100 ton nuclear power behemoth and I can blaze a city down to the ground while duking it out - I will avoid it.

Too bad this game will probably ensure that never happens. :(

Did they ever add environmental destruction to this?

I just couldn't see how they would make a new MEchwarrior game and NOT have this, I mean it was in the old games from the bloody 90's for crying out loud.

In this day and age with physics and the gpu power a mechwarrior game should be even better then Battlefield: Bad company 2 when it comes to that.

No.
This was a game by a Mid-grade dev (at best) and then done on a F2P/sales drive development type basis. As a result, it had a long, weird beta where a lot was REMOVED (falling down!?) because they lacked the man-power to make it happen. DX10/11 came out 2 years in, the first EVER UI overhaul came 2 years in, countless deadlines have slipped or disappeared, and the devs have focused on easy additions to the game to drive sales as opposed to advancing the core mechanics and meta (they added more mechs as opposed to fixing the game.).

They also chose a GPU-heavy engine (Cryengine3). I think this has hamstrung them heavily in the destructable environments department. They are trying to cater to as many people as possible, and there's not a lot of PGU overhead available in the average system for that kind of effect.

This game is not Mech Warrior / Battletech in any way shape or form.
Well, no. It's mostly BattleTech, with departures in the interest of gameplay balance. Which, for a multiplayer-only game, actually makes a good deal of sense.

It is, however, a very shallow subset of what MechWarrior games have historically been. The actual moment-to-moment gameplay is actually pretty reasonable, though.

They also chose a GPU-heavy engine (Cryengine3). I think this has hamstrung them heavily in the destructable environments department. They are trying to cater to as many people as possible, and there's not a lot of PGU overhead available in the average system for that kind of effect.

I think the worst/funny part about this is every time they "optimize" or "add performance" to the game in one of their patches, it basically means they downgraded the graphics.

It actually looked a lot better in early beta than now.

Thanks for the rundown. I stopped playing back in late february, so that explains some things. But yea, Counterstrike 1.4 had entirely passable VOIP, as have the various CODs. How do you not call them up, pay a cheap license and use it.
UNLESS... maybe they are, right now, riding the bleeding edge on server capacity and cost, and are not sure that the current amount of capacity they pay for can support the additional load of VOIP...

Hahah, I was thinking of CS when I put 10+ in my post ;)

Well, no. It's mostly BattleTech, with departures in the interest of gameplay balance. Which, for a multiplayer-only game, actually makes a good deal of sense.

It is, however, a very shallow subset of what MechWarrior games have historically been. The actual moment-to-moment gameplay is actually pretty reasonable, though.

on top of that, have any of the other mechwarrior games really been any different? I don't really feel they were except for having single player content. They all played fairly the same with different degrees of "authenticity" towards the tabletop game.

on top of that, have any of the other mechwarrior games really been any different? I don't really feel they were except for having single player content. They all played fairly the same with different degrees of "authenticity" towards the tabletop game.

While not being an expert on the Battletech universe or rules (I have a couple of the source and rule books, but I've never actually played the game), I agree. The devs are big fans of the tabletop game (it's apparent when you read the dev blogs and they discuss the tabletop rules vs the rules they've implemented in the game), but have to adjust things for balance. Obviously, there are "holes" (e.g. no melee combat so there is no Axman mech), but that doesn't make the game complete heresy to the tabletop rules.

on top of that, have any of the other mechwarrior games really been any different?
Other MechWarrior games (save the first one, probably) were deeper, primarily as a result of being singleplayer games. MW:O really eschews any sense of story or belonging to the actual BattleTech universe beyond having the 'Mechs and letting you pick your House (which has no effect on anything). It's all pretty vacuous.

If you look at them purely from a multiplayer perspective, no, they haven't really been all that different.

PGI just sucks...soooo bad

How long did they "work" on UI2.0? It is a steaming pile. While it is true that they addressed some of the really criminally stupid shit from the old UI (at least you don't have to manually type out group invites anymore) they went and made other stuff even worse. The mech lab is now just a total clusterfuck IMO.

I will say that load/search times seem to have come down a bit, not sure if they added server power or lost players to achieve that though.

I would echo comments above that while the cash flow driven approach, and apparent dev ineptitude have really prevented this game from living up to its potential, the actual game play is pretty fun, and that is a good thing, especially when search times are low enough that you are actually playing more than half the time rather than waiting.

so...anyone else get into the clan stuff for this? I am honestly still digging the game pretty badly....

Yep, I bought the Clan Package ($240 one). Having lots of fun with the Clan Mechs; definitely encourages a very different play style from the Inner Sphere ones. It's really made the game for me -- for once, PGI finally got it all right: slight advantage for skilled players w/the Clan Mechs, but definitely NOT overpowered. I ran some Inner Sphere Mechs during the 2 days of Clan Beta and we destroyed a ton of Clan Mech players. Granted, most of them were just trying out stuff and not being too serious (I, myself, when trying out the Clan stuff, was experimenting with silly stuff rather than going for meta-win builds). It's all good and fun and I'm looking forward to more IS and Clan mechs in the future. Clan Hero Mechs, maybe? We'll see ...

i bought the Nova pack and been having a blast with it using 12SL and 1ML....coring stuff once in that 180m range is crazy. most stuff drops in two 6 SL groups.

the long burn times on the clan lasers is maddening to me though, I still can't get used to it.

Still loving the IS stuff though. my little locusts are still having great rounds and now that fixed SRMs, my kintaro 18 is kicking some major ass.

i also think they got the balance really well with the clan launch.

I didn't buy any clan stuff because of the cost but I do like that we have a bunch of different style of mechs with different weapons and sound effects running around now. I was getting tired of only seeing the same weapons for so long. I'll probably pick up the Nova for Cbills in August or whenever it comes out. And hopefully they get some fast clan lights out soon, I would probably buy a hero or prime version of one of those.

I've played this game for about a year now. Probably the most frustrating game I've got. Tons of problems, shitty devs, shitty prices, shitty ui, shitty lobby, shitty balancing.

Try coordinating with 11 other people you can't speak to. The main strategy for most maps is to go counter-clockwise until everyone is dead.

I've played this game for about a year now. Probably the most frustrating game I've got. Tons of problems, shitty devs, shitty prices, shitty ui, shitty lobby, shitty balancing.

Try coordinating with 11 other people you can't speak to. The main strategy for most maps is to go counter-clockwise until everyone is dead.

you forgot shitty wait times

I would have abandoned it long ago except I have been playing MW since the wireframe days.

I hate PGI with a deep and abiding passion.

Wait time are not that bad in my case. The only problem I have with this game is the pricing of the good or extremely good mech.

Back