Mechwarrior Online, anyone looking foward?

Who is interested in MWO?

• Yes

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 68 23.6%
  • Never heard of it.

Votes: 30 10.4%

• Total voters
yeah i got into the closed beta a few weeks ago(woops broke rule number 1, but don't care).. played about 2-3 hours and haven't gone back to the game.. MWLL spoiled me way to much. i'm done playing games where it takes longer to load the actual map then it does to play it.. most games were over in under 3 minutes and some of them in less then a minute. pointless and boring, thats all i have to say.

MWO is far from finished, there's only the one game mode active at the moment.

You must have had some really bad luck with groups for the match times to be that low. Even with a premade group verses a pug, rounds generally last 7-15 minutes. The only way a round would be close to a minute long is if either team rushed the enemy base. Less than a minute is impossible unless the entire team suicides.

well since they decided to go with a COD matchmaking system theres not much else i could of done about that.. i got stuck with what ever bullshit team they gave me.

I agree that MWO's matchmaking system still needs a lot of work but MWLL's isn't the greatest either. It just turns into a rush to see who can get onto the team that's stacked with clan members or the good players. The other team is left with 2-3 decent players and the rest are mediocre.

I guess it's trendy to ignore the NDA, so I'll do the same thing. :p

I know a guy who is in the closed beta. He thinks that with the very latest patch it's still an unpolished, disappointing game with a heavy influence on pay2win. He most likely will not play the final release.

I got into the closed beta but I haven't tried it yet. Sad that it sounds like it won't be a great game and the pay2win is just bothersome.

I wish they would just mkae another SPgame. I'd be fine if it followed how MW4 worked even. Ihad no problems with it and it wasfine game.

Though...MW2 remake please...

It's not pay to win. You can do fine with the trial mechs and make more than enough money to buy parts after a few matches. Everything has a tradeoff, there aren't inherently "better" mechs or parts either.

It's not pay to win. You can do fine with the trial mechs and make more than enough money to buy parts after a few matches. Everything has a tradeoff, there aren't inherently "better" mechs or parts either.

Not so much in the last update. I've played about 8-10 games (about 6 kills) and about half of those games being won. So far I don't have enough to buy a light mech yet.

There is also no way to customize the trail mechs. I miss my missile only Catapult. :(

I also wish they would make an SP with a good campaign. I'm new to the MechWarrior/Battletech universe (though not the mechs they stole from Macross) and am enjoying this beta for what it is.

Hopefully it gets expanded more. Right now there is not a lot of content but it does seem rather stable. This is a real beta, unlike the BF3 beta and similar.

Al I can say is they should have used the BF3 engine for destructive environments.......

They could have added destruction in if they wanted. Remember Cryengine 2 even had destruction (though not as good as BF3). It was probably just a low priority.

They're still tweaking numbers. Like you said, it's a true beta and they definitely listen to the community so I wouldn't be surprised if it's increased a little bit.

I remember in the early beta when you could get hundreds of thousands of C-bills by just AFKing during matches.

I think it was okay (maybe a bit low) in the previous version. You got 1 million c-bills per match. Repairing some of my higher end mechs would cost 3.5 or so million. So if you lost a few times in a row you would have to revert to trial mechs or use a damaged mech (hopefully trial mechs will be in the final game?).

Now after 10 or so games I only have 600,000 or so C-bills. Not even half of what a light mech costs!

MWO is far from finished, there's only the one game mode active at the moment.

You must have had some really bad luck with groups for the match times to be that low. Even with a premade group verses a pug, rounds generally last 7-15 minutes. The only way a round would be close to a minute long is if either team rushed the enemy base. Less than a minute is impossible unless the entire team suicides.

7-15 minutes.. wtf bullshit games am i getting stuck into.. i've yet to be in a game thats lasted more then 3 minutes(not counting the 5 minute game because there was a guy AFK on my team in the base so we had to wait for the enemy team to find and kill him).. hell the fastest game i was in lasted all of 40 seconds.. we ran out to cap a point(or i guess it was a capture point map), we cap it and boom the game ends saying the enemy team captured our base.. enemy team only got 1 kill. it was some city map.. i made it out to the second bridge before i finally saw an enemy fired 1 time but the game had already ended.

well gave it another try.. 6 games all ended pre 10 minutes minus 2 of them that had 3 or more AFK people on my team.. but i see how they have their match making system.. its all founders vs non founders in the beta.. screw this crap. i'll go back to playing borderlands 2 now..

I know a guy who is in the closed beta. He thinks that with the very latest patch it's still an unpolished, disappointing game with a heavy influence on pay2win. He most likely will not play the final release.

there are some pay to win elements(and the developers really aren't hiding that) but i wouldn't say you HAVE to pay to win to get anything in the game. but it is a ton of mindless grinding just to get enough c-bills to buy anything.

Last edited:
7-15 minutes.. wtf bullshit games am i getting stuck into.. i've yet to be in a game thats lasted more then 3 minutes(not counting the 5 minute game because there was a guy AFK on my team in the base so we had to wait for the enemy team to find and kill him).. hell the fastest game i was in lasted all of 40 seconds.. we ran out to cap a point(or i guess it was a capture point map), we cap it and boom the game ends saying the enemy team captured our base.. enemy team only got 1 kill. it was some city map.. i made it out to the second bridge before i finally saw an enemy fired 1 time but the game had already ended.

well gave it another try.. 6 games all ended pre 10 minutes minus 2 of them that had 3 or more AFK people on my team.. but i see how they have their match making system.. its all founders vs non founders in the beta.. screw this crap. i'll go back to playing borderlands 2 now..

I may have been a little off with the numbers, it's closer to 6-10 minutes per round.

I'm not sure how they're doing the matchmaking now but it can be pretty bad at times.

Developer said matchmaking right now is super barebones and doesn't really do much beyond try to find people in your general area. Apparently it will be a lot better in the open beta.

I think it was okay (maybe a bit low) in the previous version. You got 1 million c-bills per match. Repairing some of my higher end mechs would cost 3.5 or so million. So if you lost a few times in a row you would have to revert to trial mechs or use a damaged mech (hopefully trial mechs will be in the final game?).

Now after 10 or so games I only have 600,000 or so C-bills. Not even half of what a light mech costs!

Hey, good news, in today's patch:

Economy

The economy has received a tuning pass and players should see between 50 and 100% increase in C-Bill rewards per match. Tuning will be ongoing until Open Beta.

Hey, good news, in today's patch:

yes, this was needed for sure, as it has been said, These guys are actually using the beta to tweak the game and make it better, they are taking feedback seriously and trying to stay consistent. It is def NOT Pay2Win. I think this game will be pure awesome by the time it hits open beta :)

if anyone is still wanting a beta key, one of the guys i watch is giving away keys tonight. trying to help him out and anyone that wants into the beta as well..

http://www.twitch.tv/testyvenom

(he's not partnered so this isn't about getting him money so there are no ad's)

Open Beta starts October the 16th. The game is nowhere near finished. Where is my bloody Track IR support ffs!?

Anyway, their real revenue stream will start soon. Hopefully they'll continue to develop the game and fix the issues that still plague the closed beta.

They pushed back open beta to fix the glaring issues; they didn't specify but I'm willing to guess about 2 weeks.

Good decision too, because by then there should be another map, 2 more mechs, and additional customization options.

Yeah, I got the E-mail where they said they pushed it back. Thank god..

I really want to see the game succeed, it has the potential (imo) to be great, but they have several issues they need to fix and a couple things they should atleast add before they even try to go public. The biggest issue I can see is the FPS problems people are having across all the different hardware, and the HUGE network problems that I and many others have had during games. Heck, they haven't even released the DX11 patch yet.

I fully understand we are in the closed beta, so it is supposed to be this way (especially since they actually are doing a REAL beta) but I believe if they go to open beta now they will kill any chance of them taking off. MWO will get a lot of bad reviews in its current state if put into the public, atleast in my opinion. They just have to continue to polish the engine, fix network issues, add a couple more mechs, atleast one more game mode and I think they will be good to go from there.

I could be wrong though, so we'll see what happens these up coming weeks with the game.

This game looks like it would be amazing with friends, maybe even like little lan events.

I'm enjoying the game, they are patching it to get ready for open beta release - I'm guessing in a week or two. I've had games go pretty long, but they are usually when two premade teams play each other.

One of the things they are doing for open beta is temporarily limiting groups to 4 people out of the 8 in a match. The idea is to allow new players a chance to drop with existing teams and avoid the new players being constantly PUG rolled by 8 people on Teamspeak that have been playing for the last 4 months. Of course, four people in a team of eight will still roll many true PUGs. Communication and good recon is very important in the game.

Reading all the things you guys post about closed beta and game play, I'd sell my soul,if ithat game had a decent, with FMV single player campaign :) hell, it might even be the first online shooter ill play for real. I was such a sucker for old mechs games :)

I'd love to have a new single player game too.

However I'd rather them develope a good multiplayer game first. Once they've got the game engine wrinkle free and net-optimized it would be pretty easy to make a single player campaign (with co-op!)

Reading all the things you guys post about closed beta and game play, I'd sell my soul,if ithat game had a decent, with FMV single player campaign :) hell, it might even be the first online shooter ill play for real. I was such a sucker for old mechs games :)

Well, supposedly Open Beta starts tomorrow, so you'll get to test the waters soon enough. I would love to see an SP campaign added as well, but like said, would rather them polish the crap out of MP first, then tack on that SP.

Also in celebration of Open Beta tomorrow, and of the October 25th patch, I made an Impressions/Thoughts on the patch, if anyone wants to look that hasn't played, or has played and hasn't got a chance to check out the notes, check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNbZTvg4r3k

Unfortunately they still haven't patched in changes to the matchmaking system. I foresee a lot of frustrated new people being stomped by groups of closed beta players.

There's even been posts in the beta forums by people saying that they're going to utterly destroy new players just for the easy kills and the lulz. It's probably a very small group of the actual player base, but still...

Unfortunately they still haven't patched in changes to the matchmaking system. I foresee a lot of frustrated new people being stomped by groups of closed beta players.

There's even been posts in the beta forums by people saying that they're going to utterly destroy new players just for the easy kills and the lulz. It's probably a very small group of the actual player base, but still...

Well, if it is a real problem, it will become more apparent in Open Beta, thats what the testing is for.

--------------------------------------------
**EDIT**
In celebration of Open Beta starting today, and the fact that I have many friends starting who have no idea about the game. I made this weapon hotkeys and basic combat UI video. So if anyone is newer or starting today, take a look!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NN3ojkWgzc

Last edited:
Well, if it is a real problem, it will become more apparent in Open Beta, thats what the testing is for.

Oh unfortunately it can be a very real problem. I don't have the numbers but around ~40% of the time I play PUG the other team is grouped. Its terrible.

--------------------------------------------
**EDIT**
In celebration of Open Beta starting today, and the fact that I have many friends starting who have no idea about the game. I made this weapon hotkeys and basic combat UI video. So if anyone is newer or starting today, take a look!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NN3ojkWgzc

I was about to call you a fraud for ripping off a great video, but then quickly realized how dumb that would of made me. Nice video, mate!

Oh unfortunately it can be a very real problem. I don't have the numbers but around ~40% of the time I play PUG the other team is grouped. Its terrible.

Honestly I don't think its to bad. I've only ever pugged and I'm close to a 50% win rate. And thats with me running around in a Commando a bunch :) Plus you can't always be sure a one sided game was against a premade. I've won against admitted pre-mades and I've won matches 8-0 (I assume those were other pugs) without my team ever saying anything or just saying something short. Can't say how often since theres no way for me to know if my team was complete pug or a premade+me but I've never had a teammate say they were on voice comms.

There is an article up on Penny Arcade stating the open beta has been delayed. :(

President of MechWarrior Online developer Piranha shares his personal Mech, and loadout

The Open Beta was delayed about 2 weeks ago, their site is down right now (never seen it down before, most likely preparing it for Open Beta) and they haven't redacted their statement made on Friday about the Open Beta going Live today. they were talking about the old delay, that article was made on the 26th, they most likely interviewed that guy on a date before then. On Oct 26th at 6PM that guy announced Open Beta to be released today, that article was most likely put out by coincidence on the same day from an older interview.

So beta not out yet?

Curious, site is down, but all my mechs/cash have been reset.

More concerned because I have a countdown to my premium account and then said it would not be activated right away.

Open beta started today. The delay was from 2 weeks ago as was said.

Edit: and yes, groups are stomping pugs. My clan has gone like 20-0.

Open beta in a free to play game is just a euphemism for rushed release/cash grab. I think that is especially apparent with MW:O. I hope they can get their shit together and pull through, but I was in the closed beta and they have simply lost my interest at this point.

So beta not out yet?

Curious, site is down, but all my mechs/cash have been reset.

More concerned because I have a countdown to my premium account and then said it would not be activated right away.

Open beta is up and premium has started but if you have founders then you will eventually see a button that lets you start premium time. When you see that your time gets reset but once you press the button it starts and won't be reset again. So unless they change it you get some free premium time. I'm pretty sure they said the button was coming Nov6 but now it just says soon, so who knows.

Open beta started today. The delay was from 2 weeks ago as was said.

Edit: and yes, groups are stomping pugs. My clan has gone like 20-0.

with the plans they have for group queuing the pub stomping will be over with soon enough. i just don't know when they are planning to switch over to that system.

Open beta in a free to play game is just a euphemism for rushed release/cash grab. I think that is especially apparent with MW:O. I hope they can get their shit together and pull through, but I was in the closed beta and they have simply lost my interest at this point.

true but they also need more people in the game for network code optimization, even through beta it was rare to ever see more than 3500 people online at any one time.. as far as being rushed, maybe a little. they need to add more mechs to the game but there is a lot of red tape bullshit the developers are having to deal with as far as what mechs they are allowed to add to the game and what mechs they can't add to the game in fear of being sued again(aka the reason why the mechwarrior 5 reboot never happened originally).

I have been playing it for a few weeks now. MWO is based upon teamwork. If your team doesn't have communication - preferably headset/voice, your team will most likely to get stomped. Still fun if you like piloting big mechs in a sim like environment.

I'm really enjoying MWO, but the grind for credits at the beginning is pretty exhausting.

Conservatively, but mildly optimistic, I earn on average 70k a match.

I'm looking to buy a hunchback, and at 3.9 million, that's over 50 games just to buy the frame.

I figure I'll spend 8-10 hours of grinding just to get my FIRST mech. That just strikes me as a little...excessive.

@Casus

Yes a bit of a grind to start. Though if you think about it - free to play is the reason. You can buy MC and then use to purchase your mech. Matter of minutes instead of hours. That is what MWO is betting on people doing.

@Casus

Yes a bit of a grind to start. Though if you think about it - free to play is the reason. You can buy MC and then use to purchase your mech. Matter of minutes instead of hours. That is what MWO is betting on people doing.

Meh.

A 12 hour grind wall (Maybe less, just found out about suicide farming so I'm going to exploit the shit out of that until it gets patched out) just to access the core features of the game is pretty outrageous.

Dota 2, League of Legends, and T:A do/did a much better job of enticing players to play the grind without gimping them out of the fun parts of the game.

I feel handicapped in the trial mechs.

I didn't feel handicapped playing free champs in LoL, and I didn't feel handicapped with default classes in T:A.

Also matchmaking is...not good, which doesn't make it any better.

FOR EVERYBODY HERE: GO TO THE UNOFFICIAL TEAMSPEAK SERVERS

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/60...chat-servers/page__view__findpost__p__1215853

The ones I posted here are the ones I use, there are more, but I find these are the most populated at any given time, as they are unofficially run by some of the forum staff.

Pretty straight forward.
1. Connect - both servers are pretty well populated right now.
2. Join channel "Looking for group"
3A. Look for an opening in a dropship (Groups drop as a max 8 man team right now), join, ask if they're looking for another.
3B. Wait in "looking for group" for somebody to come up and invite you to their dropship.
4. Listen to the channel commander for orders.

Typically, these will be very well organized, people will have strategies in place, and you will probably win 9/10 games in a group like this given everybody follows orders. Everybody is SUPER friendly and happy to help.

Also, in regards to grinding, I find my greatest profits are gained as a 300XL Jenner (which is a grind in itself to achieve, but definitely worth it, i was able to buy a second 300XL engine in only 3 hours, and a second jenner in only 2.5). They have a very low upkeep cost, even when cored. And you can make a lot of dosh spotting targets for your LRM carriers. I typically get 200-250k gross income (inc premium) after a win as a Jenner, reduced to 175-225k net income depending on how much damage i did/took, and how many targets i spotted. My repair bills have never gone over 40k (cored 300xl). If you add endo or ferro to it, your bills can go well over 75k. Remember, the game is designed so you can earn near 1mil cbills per hour of play. You just have to have a good team and really grind it out - and thats what TS is for.

Also, if you know a good scout pilot who can run fast, and is good at spotting targets without dying, an LRM boat is equally as profitable.

Profits can be further improved by capping points instead of killing a team. If a team has 1 player left, ask them to power down to surrender and cap the point in peace. I've done this more than once - many players, especially if they are packing some nice LosTech likean XL engine or endosteel or ferro fibrous armour, will be more than willing to power down to save the repair costs.

Last edited:
Back