MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Launches in September 2019

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It has been well over a decade, but the wait for a new MechWarrior game will soon be over: during this weekend’s annual MechCon, developer Piranha Games announced that the fifth entry, “Mercenaries,” will debut in September next year. The title, set during the Third and Fourth Succession Wars in the series’ canon, will offer a four-player co-operative multiplayer mode as well as full mod support.

Mercenaries, originally due sometime this year, was delayed into 2019 back in June. Piranha Games said at the time the delay was necessary “so that we can deliver the best single-player MechWarrior experience to date.” MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is the first single-player, first-person action game created in the BattleTech universe since 2002’s MechWarrior 4: Vengeance.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I am hoping for MW2/Ghost Bear/Mercenaries level of depth and mech customization. Coop will be a nice addition.
I never was able to get into MWO due to the 100+ hours needed to buy bays and buy/level up just few mechs, unless you just payed real cash for mechs and xp boosters. Too much like pay to win for me.

This will be a rare first week/month after release buy for me if they deliver.

10 years... Hrmmm...

NOPE.jpg

I'm not feeling it from this trailer.

Mechs seem to have no mass. Graphics are... tolerable.
It does feel kinda... merely rigged and animated. Little to no concern for bipedal allometry such as mass transfer, shoulder stability, joint articulations (lack of pronation/supination for correction), and I'm even seeing part clipping. Just careless. Maybe another case of cost cutting and hiring amateurs? Akin to Mass Effect Andromeda? Or maybe I have this all wrong and this is just a little indie title with no background? ;)

Some of that footage was definitely sped up, IMO.

The graphics look really dated, compared to say TF2.

I watched a few gameplay vids on YouTube a couple months back. Looked alright to me for a work in progress. Really liked MW4 and am going to remain optimistic about this one. Thx for the update megalith

When it comes out and there is 100% proof I wont be buying mechs one by one for $20 that they already sold in MWO I'll consider it...

Spectre: Castle, why can't we have a good MW4:Mercs sequel?

Castle: Sorry sir, you're stuck with PGI.

When it comes out and there is 100% proof I wont be buying mechs one by one for $20 that they already sold in MWO I'll consider it...
If they do anything to prevent the community from modding in the unseen mechs to single-player campaigns I would be surprised. I expect there will be a community mod pack within a few months of release with new mechs and maps.

PGI, no thanks, one of the worst companies I've ever had the displeasure in doing business with, and I don't just mean their patches but their actual customer interaction, the entire nine, is a shitshow. They have never once made a functioning workable reasonably balanced product, I have 0 confidence this will be any different.

Edit: For the record, this was with 3 years of experience dealing with them, even often directly with their sad attempts to work with content creators, competitive organizers and competitive top players, I was all 3, all 3 interactions were....just sad.

If they do anything to prevent the community from modding in the unseen mechs to single-player campaigns I would be surprised. I expect there will be a community mod pack within a few months of release with new mechs and maps.

You would be wrong. PGI currently sells ludicrous amounts of "mechpacks" mechs and all manner of crap in their current MW offering and charges silly prices for it too, they will absolutely be looking to monetize this further too, can't do that if everyone can simply do it for free. These guys prey on your nostalgia.

Is this just multi-player or campaign?

Having never played Mechwarrior, is it like
"oh I have this awesome suit, let's go destroy stuff!
Oops everyone else has a suit too, so it's basically meaningless now"

Is this just multi-player or campaign?

Having never played Mechwarrior, is it like
"oh I have this awesome suit, let's go destroy stuff!
Oops everyone else has a suit too, so it's basically meaningless now"

MW5 looks to be a single player/coop campaign, likely with a handful of the other multiplayer modes tacked on.

MW1/2/3/4/Gost Bear/Mercenaries were a cross between a mech sim, and a mission based shooter and sometimes a mission based squad shooter, sometimes with light RPG elements added in. As was common for the era, they had a rather steep learning curve. The ability to customize your mechs in some of the games in the franchise was practically unlimited.

Last edited:
Man I would have been so excited for this 10 years ago.
None of that looks appealing.

Titanfall looks much better

environments looks flat and lifeless, and mechs have no mass or weight to them
So just like all the previous MW games, then?

Actually MW3 is probably the only game that bucked those trends. MWLL to an extent, though that's not canon.

The mechs walking through the buildings without any pause kind of made me groan. That ties in with the problem the entire trailer seemed to have, that mass didn't really exist and that inertia effects either won't exist or haven't been implemented yet.

I was excited when I first heard about this....but this trailer either doesn't truly do it justice...or I just expected more.

It does feel kinda... merely rigged and animated. Little to no concern for bipedal allometry such as mass transfer, shoulder stability, joint articulations (lack of pronation/supination for correction), and I'm even seeing part clipping. Just careless. Maybe another case of cost cutting and hiring amateurs? Akin to Mass Effect Andromeda? Or maybe I have this all wrong and this is just a little indie title with no background? ;)
Well it's won't be released til Sept 2012, so I'm sure they have plenty to do.

no cockpit view in Trailer? lame
I remember on the Mektek forums some guy had a sig-pic where the pilot was sitting outside, behind and above his mech, showing others to shoot the guy, not the mech.

Wait, this isn't a mobile game? Don't MechWarrior fans have phones?

IDK. I tried some of the newer versions and couldn't hold my attention. Seems odd I had way more fun with the original polygon MW's with a machine that couldn't keep up and dropping to framerates of 0.5.

Visually, not that impressive. The immersion is lacking too. Do mechs only engage in ghost towns/bases? This looks too similar to the games from ages ago. A VR experience might make it better. or worse.

What, MW4: Mercs didn't exist? Still waiting on that impending storm that was supposed to arrive at the end of the Mercs campaigns. I loved playing that game so much. I was still hoping for a sequel for a few years.

Sucks that it has to be PGI. This will probably get passed over like any other reboot to a classic franchise.

Won't anyone try their hand at MechCommander 3?

The criticism regarding the perspective of mass in this trailer are definitely on point. It looks like styrofoam breaking apart when buildings get run over by mechs. The MW2:Mercs trailer had a better sense of mass than this.

Look at the bright side kid, PGI will probably still take our money:(.

Last edited:
looks like they went with the same BS FPS mechanics that killed MWO... jesus if I wanted another shooter there are about a million available I want a new mech simulator with proper joystick support.

Back