MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Hands On Preview

monkeymagick

[H]News
PC Gamer has a hands on look of the upcoming MechWarrior 5: Mercernaries and how the series is going back to its roots. Developed by Piranha Games, it has been 15 years since the release of MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries and 5 years since MechWarrior Online released. Being built with Unreal Engine 4 instead of CryEngine which was used for MechWarrior Online, the game was announced less than a year ago

"There's a huge contingent of fans that have been wanting a singleplayer MechWarrior 5 for years," Bullock tells me as we walk through the Piranha Games office. "Of course we wanted to make one, but being a smaller developer we had say, 'Okay first things first, we need to succeed with MechWarrior Online and that will allow us to make a singleplayer game.' And it took a while -- a lot longer than we thought -- but we’re doing it."

PGI...fuck...

Nothing in gaming saddens me more than these assholes controlling this particular IP. I hope I live long enough to be able to play MechWarrior again. This outfit is never getting a cent from me.

I played a lot of MWO. Then I realized that they were never going to actually build the game into anything meaningful.

They shouldn't NEED a singleplayer stand-alone game if they would have fully fleshed out the inner sphere war in their own dang online game.

But noooooooo.....

MWO has tons and tons of potential. Rabid fan base. They almost got weapon balance to be acceptable which is very hard to massage something resembling the classic game with real time competitive play.

Sadly, it's just the same maps over and over and over and over and over and over and over... when it could have been an actual dynamic war. Yeah, yeah they added kind of a planet contest thing which sort of added a little flavor but there's no real point. There's no depth to it.

So what's wrong with this company? I never played beyond the original MechWarrior mercenaries back in the day.

At least there is a new Battletech coming next year.

I enjoy MWO. Sure, it could have been much more, but for me it's still solid fun in puglandia. I'm looking forward to MW5.

So what's wrong with this company? I never played beyond the original MechWarrior mercenaries back in the day.

At least there is a new Battletech coming next year.
Yes really looking forward to Battletech.

I enjoy MWO. Sure, it could have been much more, but for me it's still solid fun in puglandia. I'm looking forward to MW5.

what is your player name?

PGI does make some pretty dumb decisions but I honestly believe most of the crap that gets added to MWO is because NGNG made PGI their bitch.

MWO biggest problem is lack of player base because PGI does nothing to try and advertise the game that and the balance is kind of iffy so poor new players just get melted instantly by laser boating vomit alpha blast.

also see that they still ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to HTAL!!!!!

they were also hinting on no mech lab for MW5 or some kind of really gimped mech lab either which would be disastrous.

This game sounds like everything I want in a MW game. Hopefully they can execute.

I'd love a MW sequel in the same vein as MechWarrior 2. There's so much lore in this universe that a company could make a killing releasing expansion packs covering different periods, conflicts, and points of view.

They shouldn't NEED a singleplayer stand-alone game if they would have fully fleshed out the inner sphere war in their own dang online game.

I've never had any interest in MWO, regardless of if it's arena or persistent war, or whatever. What I AM interested in is a new Mercenaries, which have (IMO) been the most fun entries in the series going all the way back to the DOS games. Hopefully they don't screw the pooch too hard here. How hard could it be to take the formula that worked well in the previous Merc games, script up some new missions, and slap on a fresh coat of paint? That's all any of the fans really want: classic Mercs gameplay with current graphic levels, AI standards, and better maps.

I got into it a little because I love MW, but they give so little credit for fights, they are always unbalanced in player skill.

But if you use real money then the updates that need your specs don't effect you......because you already sold and bought a new mech..

Paywalls keep casual players away. The jackhats who constantly spam the mic do the rest

I've never had any interest in MWO, regardless of if it's arena or persistent war, or whatever. What I AM interested in is a new Mercenaries, which have (IMO) been the most fun entries in the series going all the way back to the DOS games. Hopefully they don't screw the pooch too hard here. How hard could it be to take the formula that worked well in the previous Merc games, script up some new missions, and slap on a fresh coat of paint? That's all any of the fans really want: classic Mercs gameplay with current graphic levels, AI standards, and better maps.

you don't know PGI.....

I got into it a little because I love MW, but they give so little credit for fights, they are always unbalanced in player skill.

But if you use real money then the updates that need your specs don't effect you......because you already sold and bought a new mech..

Paywalls keep casual players away. The jackhats who constantly spam the mic do the rest

turn off VOIP is what I did. I will say as a F2P MWO is a little more friendly than say WoT. the grinding isn't so bad. they've tried to make a better MM but it still kind of suck because there aren't enough players. most of my MWO play has been without paying for anything. I think I paid for one clan pack and one large batch of MC to get some champion mechs.

it is by far the most casual F2P game I have tried and it is one that doesn't get my blood boiling (like WoT)

the biggest problem right now is just over all balance issue that absolutely punish players that aren't really good or don't play the best chassis with max/meta builds. people splatting 80+ point alphas and walking away unharmed, waiting 5 seconds and doing it again.

Mwo was fun and now without having to appeal to about 20 different opinions it should be super fun and the MWO assets look great if they resuse them.

Problem with mwo is that you can't really do much with the clan vs IS as people hate losing along with how do you really add a story line to a dynamically changing world. It had same end result as every MMO, nothing to do at end game but fight. Probably why they did the esport angle, then it's a lot more mercenaries style when fame and money are on the line.

Really hoping this is amazing and everything I want from a MW game, please please have coop, I want to play this with my kid, he loved MWO when he was 4

I think MW2 was the one i played a lot of. I think I bought a Sidewinder joystick with force feedback - it was awesome. I'll keep my eye on this one...would like to play a mech-type game again but want to make sure its a good one.

This would be a perfect game for VR. Wide set perspective would make you feel really big.

Mercs was always my favorite for all the MW games.

Cross your fingers and hope for no fuckups.

they were also hinting on no mech lab for MW5 or some kind of really gimped mech lab either which would be disastrous.
I think the time period MW5:M is set in predates the clans, so there probably won't be omnimechs and hence the mechlab is kind of superfluous. Though I agree, it was one of the fun parts of the previous games.

Hopefully there are more than a few MW fans like me who weren't really interested in online-only "pay to win" style game but would come back for a story driven campaign.

I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt simply because besides the Battletech RTS there's not many other games in town as far as this IP goes.

The original Machwarrior is still my favorite.

I haven't really ever tried anything past MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, but from the look of it when I did look at them, they still didn't look like I would like them.

We'll see. This company doesn't have the greatest track record. But I do miss Mechwarrior 2, so would like to see a new version of that.

And Hawken... I did try really hard to like Hawken. And for a couple days I did... but that was it. The gameplay mechanics and physics are wonky as it is, being f2p/p2w helps no one.

They shouldn't NEED a singleplayer stand-alone game

I need a singleplayer MW game, because that's all I play...

...and MW4 (along with all if its expansion packs) is one of my all-time favorite games.

MW4 was one of the first games I spent a ton of time on. Looking forward to Atlas time in the new one. PGI makes me a tad hesitant after putting 300hrs into MWO

I am so fucking bored of Multiplayer games, I am looking forward a good single player game that is not a fanasy RPG.

I loved the old MW games.

MWO was a half baked shit show, a half assed FPS with shiny mech wrappers.

Looks good. Of course I've thought that about the last several MW style games and except for the new Battletech(beta has been great) game most of them had no staying power and ended up being disappointments.

Bring back EGA MPBT!!

I remember playing the original MechWarrior on my 286, man I loved that game. If they make it a updated version of that they will make a killing on it. So far I loved what I read and I hope it sticks with that plan.

I absolutely loved MWO when it was just 8 vs 8 in Beta with only a few IS Mechs to choose from (especially with re-arm and repair costs factored in). I continued to play and enjoy it for a few years afterward, but completely gave up when they introduced "loot boxes" and other shenanigans. I hear they completely re-structured the skill tree, which was necessary, but just haven't found the motivation to try it again after all the min/max play in Tier 1/2...will my favorite Hunchack still be viable?

PGI's art team is pretty awesome though, and I am enjoying the latest Battletech turn-based Beta using PGI's 3D models, so it hasn't been a complete wash.

From the PC Gamer preview, I'm looking forward to their single-player game on the Unreal engine. Hopefully Russ and co. realize they need to score a major win upon initial release. Otherwise I'm out, life is too short to waste time playing a poor game hoping that one day it will be good.

Is there any tentative release date for this? I really can't wait for a decent single player game to pile some hours into, never got into MWO because I always liked the story driven aspect of MechWarrior and the Battletech universe. If I want to be frustrated with F2P online games I'll continue crapping on scrubs in WoT, thanks.

MW4:Mercs only had legs because of the dauntless work of MekTek and their third party content patches.

I'm hoping PGI doesn't screw it up but the odds are certainly against them. MWO feels like kind of a cluster fuck as it stands.

Back