MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries announced!

lol, the anti-hype for this game is depressing. Here's hoping the story mode has enough redeeming quality to make this worth picking up.

after watching lots of videos of this...it seriouisly doesn't look that good.

The hud is a complete mess and the graphics to me look worse that MWO (which I still think looks damn good)
the building crushing shit is kind of lame.

maybe if there is a real story mode and its good I'll grab it otherwise its just a nothing kind of game where you play endlessly for no real reason.

TBH, for me it's the progression system of starting with a shitty little lance and building it up to a god-like force of destruction fully kitted out with all the best mechs and gear. From what I've seen so far, the game should deliver on that front.

I wont be picking it up until there are a few reviews that give more details on the game specifics.

Well I loaded it up, anyone have a solution for the super ultra mega blurry graphics? I've tried every setting present and it still looks like someone smeared vaseline on my monitor.

Also, joystick seems wonked out. Looks like they didn't really intend for you to use one.

Joysticks have been a bad idea for players since MWO. I hated it at first, but I understand why they did things the way they did.

Well I think I'll wait for a patch. Game keeps crashing now so I can't complete any missions.

Joysticks have been a bad idea for players since MWO. I hated it at first, but I understand why they did things the way they did.

Joysticks are a bad idea for most games outside of high fidelity flight sims. That's mostly because developers don't incorporate joysticks in testing. Joystick support (if there) is added as-is.

Joysticks are a bad idea for most games outside of high fidelity flight sims. That's mostly because developers don't incorporate joysticks in testing. Joystick support (if there) is added as-is.

Joysticks have been a staple in MW games until that travesty they called MWO because it allows to discrete control over yaw (torso twist) without linking it to other movement. Also makes it a LOT easier to assign weapons groups and throttle.

Looks like I'm in for a copy. All the reviews have confirmed that the core gameplay loop is exactly what I was hoping for and does an excellent job at it. Good news :)

Well I loaded it up, anyone have a solution for the super ultra mega blurry graphics? I've tried every setting present and it still looks like someone smeared vaseline on my monitor..

Try using Reshade and set the Lumasharpen setting to 1.5??

Works on a TON of other games etc.

Try using Reshade and set the Lumasharpen setting to 1.5??

Works on a TON of other games etc.

What engine is this thing on? Its some kind of motion blur I figured out, but I can't get it to stop.

Well I loaded it up, anyone have a solution for the super ultra mega blurry graphics? I've tried every setting present and it still looks like someone smeared vaseline on my monitor.

Also, joystick seems wonked out. Looks like they didn't really intend for you to use one.

I was just going to say the same thing. Good lord does this game look awful on my RTX 2070. Mechwarrior Online looks light years better. Reshade or Freestyle does nothing to fix the blurry graphics. As soon as you are in motion, it's blur-o-rama. When you come to a dead stop, things sharpen up. It looks like the textures are reasonably high resolution when you get close to objects, so I wonder if it is a mi-mapping or LOD issue?

Is the campaign story based with a strong emphasis on the narrative? Or is it more based around scenarios with little connection between them?

It's story line, but very painful low budget acting. I'm a huge Mechwarrior fan, and so far this is very Meh.

It's story line, but very painful low budget acting. I'm a huge Mechwarrior fan, and so far this is very Meh.

Did anyone else notice Adam Jenson as Spears? I always wondered if he was a bad actor or if it was just Jensen. Now I'm thinking cheesy bad actor who gets roles because of his husky voice

Last edited:
I was just going to say the same thing. Good lord does this game look awful on my RTX 2070. Mechwarrior Online looks light years better. Reshade or Freestyle does nothing to fix the blurry graphics. As soon as you are in motion, it's blur-o-rama. When you come to a dead stop, things sharpen up. It looks like the textures are reasonably high resolution when you get close to objects, so I wonder if it is a mi-mapping or LOD issue?

Yes, I'm on a 2070S too. The new drivers from yesterday fixed it I think, the game reset everything to maximum and sharpening to ON and now it looks great.

EDIT: the new 441.66 drivers from nvidia REALLY improved the performance of the game on my card. Highly recommend getting them asap.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm on a 2070S too. The new drivers from yesterday fixed it I think, the game reset everything to maximum and sharpening to ON and now it looks great.

EDIT: the new 441.66 drivers from nvidia REALLY improved the performance of the game on my card. Highly recommend getting them asap.

Thanks for the heads up. I download the 441.66 drivers, but am using the Creator Driver set and it may not have the same game ready optimizations.

Is the campaign story based with a strong emphasis on the narrative? Or is it more based around scenarios with little connection between them?

Light story, typical of Mechwarrior merc games. Lance get ambushed, all dead but you, rebuild the company and find who did it.

The real treat is collecting mech’s like Pokémon and fitting them out just the way you want em.

Played a solid 5 hours last night and really starting to get into it. After handful of initial campaign missions, you get thrown into the open world to pick up contracts and travel around the massive Inner Sphere map.

I picked up a few assassination and destruction contracts and a defense mission, hired a few more pilots so I've now got a 4 mech lance consisting of a Centurion, a Jenner, a Javelin and a Locust.

It looks like your salvage points are based on your reputation and depend on contract negotiations. I was able to salvage a Locust chassis for 6 out of 6 salvage points, but in another mission I couldn't salvage a Panther chassis that required 14 salvage points. I like how the system works. The more contracts you run, the more your reputation increases, the more you can salvage.

I am enjoying the balance of sim -/- arcade, and the game plays very will with KB/M. Graphics are great to excellent. I haven't had any performance issues or bugs at all so far.

Really looking forward to seeing how Pirhana builds on the title. There is a huge potential for growth and additional content.

The game just updated with a 241mb patch, I haven't found any patch notes yet.

The Devils Vanguard

Mechwarrior 5  Mercenaries Screenshot 2019.12.12 - 09.40.59.30.png

Mechwarrior 5  Mercenaries Screenshot 2019.12.12 - 09.41.05.22.png

Mechwarrior 5  Mercenaries Screenshot 2019.12.12 - 09.41.13.09.png
Mechwarrior 5  Mercenaries Screenshot 2019.12.12 - 09.41.17.82.png

I'm about 12 hours in, and I'm all in on my boys in House Davion. Got too many mechs now so I put some on ice for the time being. Assault mechs seem a little useless with the constant 180-200 ton drop cap.

But lets be real here, the only thing that matters in this game is the gauss rifle, because its perfect. Great visuals, great sound, great damage, plus its got the range.

Watched a couple of reviews today, it seems like it's getting a good reception in general. Was a bit disappointed to hear there is no BAP/ECM and melee didn't make it in (will we EVER see this in a MW game?)

Other than that I am pleasantly surprised and hopefully will be more so once I pick it up.

Watched a couple of reviews today, it seems like it's getting a good reception in general. Was a bit disappointed to hear there is no BAP/ECM and melee didn't make it in (will we EVER see this in a MW game?)

Other than that I am pleasantly surprised and hopefully will be more so once I pick it up.

Couldn’t care less about melee, but BAPs and ECMs will be missed.

Yeah, no ECM from what I've seen on streams is lame. The team AI looks to be pretty bad, like they take a ton of damage every battle to be not worth the cost. The other annoying thing is they don't let coop players gear out their own mechs, the game host has to do it. They need to patch in a way for everyone to customize their mechs and the host can just approve it or not. The huge star map is good, lets you travel all over the Innersphere.

Definately seems fun from what I've seen of co-op streams. They really should have spent more time on this instead of MWO. No team PvP is annoying but they obviously want people to keep playing MWO.

Yeah, no ECM from what I've seen on streams is lame. The team AI looks to be pretty bad, like they take a ton of damage every battle to be not worth the cost. The other annoying thing is they don't let coop players gear out their own mechs, the game host has to do it. They need to patch in a way for everyone to customize their mechs and the host can just approve it or not. The huge star map is good, lets you travel all over the Innersphere.

Definately seems fun from what I've seen of co-op streams. They really should have spent more time on this instead of MWO. No team PvP is annoying but they obviously want people to keep playing MWO.

Surprisingly, my AI team have been doing pretty well damage wise. Admittedly I've only run a few missions so far, but they haven't blown out the budget or anything yet :)

As far as I can tell, there is no way to save preset paint jobs and / or apply a color scheme to all mechs. That would be a nice QoL feature.

Surprisingly, my AI team have been doing pretty well damage wise. Admittedly I've only run a few missions so far, but they haven't blown out the budget or anything yet :)

As far as I can tell, there is no way to save preset paint jobs and / or apply a color scheme to all mechs. That would be a nice QoL feature.

The AI gets betteras they level up, I snatch up the higher ranked pilots when I can. Now all 3 of my AI guys have over 30 points which makes them a lot more effective.

guardian ECM was introduced in 2597 and the IS houses gave up on the tech by 2845 during the succession wars due to being to difficult to maintain, it wasn't re-introduced until 3045. MW5 takes place from 3015 to 3049 in the current story line.

MW5 has no intention of adding PVP, it was always going to be a co-op story driven game.

The AI gets betteras they level up, I snatch up the higher ranked pilots when I can. Now all 3 of my AI guys have over 30 points which makes them a lot more effective.

I think certain Mechs have a tendency to get damaged in specific ways also. I've noticed that the AI piloted Jenner will often come back with destroyed lasers that need replacing due to their location.

I only have 2 problems with the game that are screwing with my fun.

1) fps drop when zooming in,

2) every once in a while my mouse pointer turns into the windows cursor in the bottom right of the screen and I can't click on anything in game... what in the fuck.

I'm about 1300 days in. Found a Hero Hunch and have been gauss-ing the shit out of everything that moves. I'll have to take a screenshot of my mechs together because their camo looks like starburst vomit to help better differentiate them at a glance.

It's fun so far. Still haven't had a heavy mech in my lance nor have I fought against one. I've been focusing on Davion missions and have "hero" status with them. Getting as much salvage as I can (headshots/leg shots!) to sell off the cheap light mechs to bolster my earnings. I enjoy the sub-200 ton light & medium lance arrangements immensely.

Growing the lance slowly but surely :) I love the pacing of new mechs being introduced and mission drop limits so you can really mix and match your lance and get a good taste for each model. Absolutely loving the game so far.

I did have a weird bug where combat sounds disappeared, but a quick game restart and everything back to normal. At the moment I'm piloting a Blackjack. Great combo of autocannons and med lasers.

Mechwarrior 5  Mercenaries Screenshot 2019.12.12 - 22.36.25.46.png

I'm about 1300 days in. Found a Hero Hunch and have been gauss-ing the shit out of everything that moves. I'll have to take a screenshot of my mechs together because their camo looks like starburst vomit to help better differentiate them at a glance.

It's fun so far. Still haven't had a heavy mech in my lance nor have I fought against one. I've been focusing on Davion missions and have "hero" status with them. Getting as much salvage as I can (headshots/leg shots!) to sell off the cheap light mechs to bolster my earnings. I enjoy the sub-200 ton light & medium lance arrangements immensely.

I have the hero hunchback too, love the gauss. Used it for about 50 missions now and it hasn't been blown up yet. I'm at Fame 9 and 230 ton drops aren't enough. They throw 50+ mechs at you in constant waves, I'm at the point where I'm going to need a 350 ton Lance to survive.

Does anyone else feel like the lasers kind of suck in this game compared to MWO? In MWO they are big and beautiful with a real feeling of power. In MW5 they are tiny little lines that don't look pretty or feel powerful

Is there any kind of update log for this game? They don't even have an official forum as far as I can tell.

Also, I've found (based on recommendation) that 4x Anisotropy and max AA is the best for sharpness in the game.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like the lasers kind of suck in this game compared to MWO? In MWO they are big and beautiful with a real feeling of power. In MW5 they are tiny little lines that don't look pretty or feel powerful

I never played MWO so dont have anything to compare it to TBH. You are just using med lasers tho right? You sure they aren't more chunky as large laser?

Is there any kind of update log for this game? They don't even have an official forum as far as I can tell.

Also, I've found (based on recommendation) that 4x Anisotropy and max AA is the best for sharpness in the game.

They released a hotfix but it only related to joysticks. They have an open discord but no forum to speak of. Here is where they post all their news https://mw5mercs.com/news

I've got a bug now where the textures on the mechs don't load until I reload a save several times. Anyone have this?

Also, whats the screenshot key?

Not sure what the screenshot key is. Have you tried updating your video card drivers? The newest Nvidia drivers have improvements for MW5

Not sure what the screenshot key is. Have you tried updating your video card drivers? The newest Nvidia drivers have improvements for MW5

I was the first in this thread to mention the updated drivers so I definitely got em! It was fine yesterday but now after that second 352mb patch I'm having a lot of texture problems. The cockpit of the dropship is barely rendered too.

Back