MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries announced!

Its official, 3 month delay till December and Epic only.

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/2...elease-date-amp-epic-games-store-exclusivity/

You can get a refund for pre-order (that had been for a steam key) but you will lose out on beta access.

Via Reddit:

hf80c0q13ic31.jpg

Last edited:
Don't really understand this calculus. The Epic marketplace must shrink the potential pool of customers much more than the extra percentage of revenue Epic lets them keep vs Steam

I'm not so sure it does. We've seen a handful of devs come forward and talk about how they are happy with the way their games have performed on EGS. I'm starting to wonder if the EGS haters are just an extremely vocal minority. You also have to consider not paying the UE license fee in addition to the greater revenue take, which ultimately makes healthy boost in profits. Then consider that EGS is (probably) covering the costs of the refunds, meaning the devs still technically get to keep a portion of their "lost" Steam sales, and EGS (probably) kicked in additional cash compensation or development resources on top of that. And even with all that said and done, the game will still likely hit Steam after 6-12 months, so they'll still get those "boycott EGS" sales eventually. I'm sure there is a set of people who will still boycott the game on principal when it hits Steam, but I think you're talking about such a small group of people that they're almost insignificant. I know people don't want to believe it, but it's actually really easy to see how much more profitable EGS can be.

EGS is profitable for pubs/devs for as long as they keep buying exclusives and promising to buy copies of games if sales don't reach a certain goal. Namely guaranteeing that game x sells 500k copies on EGS in that year of exclusivity. That also assumes in the next 1-2 years EGS does bring in more customers. The other benefit of waiting 6-12 months with exclusivity is that the publishers can then release on Steam/GoG/Origin etc. with "new" prices on games that have been out for 6+ months. We see it all the time, usually with a game getting a 10% discount for the first week of the new store release.

I'm not so sure it does. We've seen a handful of devs come forward and talk about how they are happy with the way their games have performed on EGS.
Lol. What else would they say once they've made a deal with the devil and there's no turning back..?

Games aren't selling on EGS, or they wouldn't be trying to overcompensate by claiming how "great" sales are. The verbage is also always carefully worded by Tim.

Eh, well. I didn't expect anything from this game. Too bad. Still fondly recall Mechwarrior on my 386dx.

Don't really understand this calculus. The Epic marketplace must shrink the potential pool of customers much more than the extra percentage of revenue Epic lets them keep vs Steam
Mechwarrior used to be a marquee brand that probably had enough hardcore fans who would buy it regardless of the platform, but I think those days are over.

I'll wait for reviews to decide, but personally I don't want a bunch of bloatware launchers running in the background. Not being on Steam is a definite minus to me.

you also have to put into consideration that the games pretty unlikely to hit the sales thresholds needed to reduce steams sales fee's.. it's a niche game in a niche market so overall the reduction is probably worth it in the short term, either way it doesn't mean they're stuck with EGS for ever. as far as i know the exclusivity part when it comes to EGS has a 6 month minimum so it's possible they could add it to steam later.

although i do find it funny that you bring up the bloatware....

steam 7 processes for a total of 254.4mb of memory usage...
EGS 1 process 75MB of memory usage..

yeah EGS is definitely bloatware... lol.

you also have to put into consideration that the games pretty unlikely to hit the sales thresholds needed to reduce steams sales fee's.. it's a niche game in a niche market so overall the reduction is probably worth it in the short term, either way it doesn't mean they're stuck with EGS for ever. as far as i know the exclusivity part when it comes to EGS has a 6 month minimum so it's possible they could add it to steam later.

What's mainly pissing people off is the way game developers are going about it -- deceptively. They promise something for years, take Tim's bribe check when the game is getting closer to release, but then wait till last minute to drop the bad news on customers while continuing to soak up preorders. And then have the nerve to blame customers for animosity the developer created, and in this case with sarcastic retorts like "We'd hate for you to lose beta access".

The featuresets aren't even remotely comparable. Steam is a real store with tons of features, and get this, a shopping cart. EGS is a 1-page website.

Last edited:

Im glad you agree EGS is complete bloatware. It takes 75mb to run a single page, where as steam fits a whole store as well as many other features into just over 3 times the memory usage, this is great considering it offers at least 10 times the functionality, steam programmers did great, epic not so much.

Im glad you agree EGS is complete bloatware. It takes 75mb to run a single page, where as steam fits a whole store as well as many other features into just over 3 times the memory usage, this is great considering it offers at least 10 times the functionality, steam programmers did great, epic not so much.

wheres the 10 times the functionality.. you open a page, you buy a game, you play said game, sometimes the game auto updates.. oh wait EGS does the same shit.. the rest of it is all personal preference.. been using steam since 2003, outside of those 3 functions the rest of it is a complete waste to me. but it's ok obviously i'm required to think everything else is useful because you said so.

Screw Steam. I've been getting screwed over by Steam Exclusive releases for years. I personally won't be getting this until it releases on GOG. If that day never comes, then I am unlikely to ever buy it.

I'm still hoping beyond hope that this game will grab me the way MechWarrior 2 did
None of the post-Activision games grabbed me that way, but I'd settle for it being a MW4 level timesuck at this point.

So anyone actually excited for this? Aside from the EGS pissing and moaning.

MW2 was one of the first games I got REALLY into, and followed the series all the way to... well now. Still play MWO.

I just hope it has a legit single player campaign.

I'm still excited even though it will probably suck. I probably have 300+ hours in mwo. If the mechanics in this game are similar it won't be near as fun as mw2. Mwo stopped being fun around the time splatcats stopped being viable and has gotten steadily worse ever since

So anyone actually excited for this? Aside from the EGS pissing and moaning.

MW2 was one of the first games I got REALLY into, and followed the series all the way to... well now. Still play MWO.

I just hope it has a legit single player campaign.

Cautiously optimistic for me. I want it to be good but a lot of what they have shown doesn’t look amazing. I’m hoping it ends up blowing my socks off but I am preparing for the chance that it just ends up being blah.

I heard due to the lack of an online component the weapon balance will be much different (maybe closer to classic tabletop values) which hopefully is an improvement over MWO.

No idea how they're handling customization but I assume no omnimechs = no mechlab due to the timeline and being an IS merc company.

At this point my hype has died off considerably but if it comes out with even half-decent reviews I won't be able to resist buying it.

If there is no mechlab then it will definitely suck. I don't see why you need omnimechs to have a mechlab. Lore reasons?

If there is no mechlab then it will definitely suck. I don't see why you need omnimechs to have a mechlab. Lore reasons?

Shouldn't be important, I think they're just talking out their bum.

Omnimechs can mount any weapon in free slots, normal mechs have to mount specific weapon types in specific slots.

As an example, the battletech game allowed you to modify your mechs, but has no omnimechs.

Omnimech's really arn't that big a deal to me, too easy to min/max and it eliminates the overall flavour of each mech.

wheres the 10 times the functionality.. you open a page, you buy a game, you play said game, sometimes the game auto updates.. oh wait EGS does the same shit.. the rest of it is all personal preference.. been using steam since 2003, outside of those 3 functions the rest of it is a complete waste to me. but it's ok obviously i'm required to think everything else is useful because you said so.

I echo this. Give me a Steam light without the "were desperate for new features to show progress" fluff. I remember the, ugh... "old days" when Steam was the only guy on the block for various games and being a prisoner to its mandatory updates and client crashes. EGS certainly has flaws but much cleaner in its simpler approach.

Of all the launchers I have to deal with, I think I prefer Blizzards. None is my actual preference though. The absolute worst was GFWL.

I echo this. Give me a Steam light without the "were desperate for new features to show progress" fluff. I remember the, ugh... "old days" when Steam was the only guy on the block for various games and being a prisoner to its mandatory updates and client crashes. EGS certainly has flaws but much cleaner in its simpler approach.

A CD-Key works fine.

Also, Mechwarrior being joystick only would be nice to avoid becoming another twitch shooter.

9s1Mi6t.jpg

Z7uZfE1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A CD-Key works fine.

Also, Mechwarrior being joystick only would be nice to avoid becoming another twitch shooter.

View attachment 188757

View attachment 188755

As long as joystick is supported, and I can play coop with my friends (not a deal breaker, but they have put it up as a feature), and they have the things a mechwarrior game needs (Mechlab, mercenary missions, C-Bills, etc) I'll be happy. PVP is kinda a resounding Meh for me these days.

I like the way the old games were a mech simulator but it is doubtful MW5 will be that way.

Joystick optional will mean dead mechs if there is multiplayer when Cal-Pro e-sports doofus comes out twitching with the mouse like this is overwatch. The joystick is awkward to aim with while piloting the mech and having the targeting systems for missiles was part of it the simulation. It didn't take the sim aspect super serious but it was enough to not make it lame.

Mechlab will most likely be a DLC add on, C-Bills can be purchased with real money for in game use and the merc missions (2 included with the base game) will probably be some season pass thing. The game comes with the standard mechs (weak and weak weaponry) but you can buy more mechs from the DLC mechlab store. Seems every "gamer franchise" is designed to be milked for the most money. I will pay $60 for a complete game with no DLC MTX Season pass tom foolery.

ok ok, my gloom and doom disappointment with todays PC "gamers". The game will die when no one watches it on twitch because which kids born after 2005 remember Mechwarrior or Battletech.

/frustration

i think they'd be better off leaving MW5 as a story driven game with co-op and then port MWO to the unreal engine and continue using that as the separate multiplayer game. but i have zero faith in PGI ever doing that..

They have small feet with large shoes to fill.
MW:O doesn't count in my book. Prefer to forget it exists.

Wow, I didn't realize the release date for this was just around the corner (December 10th)

Some new gameplay too... Looks like they have taken a lot of inspiration from the recent Battletech TBS game.

I haven't played this series since I was a kid. This looks cool.

Wow, I didn't realize the release date for this was just around the corner (December 10th)

Some new gameplay too... Looks like they have taken a lot of inspiration from the recent Battletech TBS game.

Looking better and better.

I know the Atlas was just for show, but I hope in the game there will be missions where you are outgunned or have to use stealth, not just "destroy all opposition" types.

Looking better and better.

I know the Atlas was just for show, but I hope in the game there will be missions where you are outgunned or have to use stealth, not just "destroy all opposition" types.

Just hazarding a guess, but I'm fairly certain your initial lance will be some weak ass mechs (mostly light and a maybe a medium).. The whole philosophy behind mechwwarrior is the progression system and maintaining your lance.

If they have nailed that formula, I think we will be in for a nice surprise.

Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100/AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770/AMD Radeon R9 280X
RAM: 8GB
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (64-bit versions)
HDD: 55GB free space
DirectX: Version 11

Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K/AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070/AMD RX Vega 56
RAM: 16GB
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (64-bit versions)
HDD: 55GB free space (SSD)
DirectX: Version 11

I’m in for one, been far to long since a single player mechwarrior.

I still have my CDs for MW2 with Ghost Bear expansion, as well as MW2:Mercenaries. For me, if they can just match the basics from those, but make the graphics/physics better, I would count it as a win.

Admittedly looks cool, but still not giving Epic any money yet. Plus the way the Epic exclusive was handled with this was pretty shitty of the developer.

if you know anything about pgi what they did was 100% expected..

Weird, because earlier in the thread it doesn't really seem like anyone expected it.

at first i didn't think it would happen because i figured epic would ignore a nitche title like MW5 and primarily focus well known brands but then as they started signing up more and more nitche titles it was just a matter of time before PGI jumped on that bandwagon. but ultimately whether it's on steam or epic won't change anything with the game and it's apparent now that PGI's lost and doesn't know what to do. they drove their biggest cash cow(mwo) into the ground in favor of MW5 so they're going to have to find a way to cash cow that now.

after watching lots of videos of this...it seriouisly doesn't look that good.

The hud is a complete mess and the graphics to me look worse that MWO (which I still think looks damn good)
the building crushing shit is kind of lame.

maybe if there is a real story mode and its good I'll grab it otherwise its just a nothing kind of game where you play endlessly for no real reason.

Back