Mechanical Keyboard with Media Controls

aethelwulf

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to switch to a mechanical keyboard, but I like having media controls for while I'm in game. I've seen the Vengeance keyboards have them, but what other options are out there?

thanks!

I would really prefer them to be separate buttons rather than function controls on the F keys.

Yeah, seriously. Why do people think that's acceptable? Using alternate functions for the F keys is more of a pain! Might as well just a utility like HotkeyP and bind ctrl+f9-f12 to various volume stuff. It's no worse a solution and I didn't have to lower myself to buying something from Steelseries (I bought a WASD).

Yeah, seriously. Why do people think that's acceptable? Using alternate functions for the F keys is more of a pain! Might as well just a utility like HotkeyP and bind ctrl+f9-f12 to various volume stuff. It's no worse a solution and I didn't have to lower myself to buying something from Steelseries (I bought a WASD).

Pretty much.

The only ones I've seen with dedicated media keys are the Corsair Vengeance keyboards and the Logitech G710+.

you can probably assign macro keys to have multimedia functions. Off the top of my head there's the razer blackwidows that have them.

you can probably assign macro keys to have multimedia functions. Off the top of my head there's the razer blackwidows that have them.

I know that I can, but I like have dedicated buttons and desk space is not an issue, so I would rather just find something that will suit my desires.

How do the Logitech 710+ and Corsair Vengeance compare?

I know that I can, but I like have dedicated buttons and desk space is not an issue, so I would rather just find something that will suit my desires.

How do the Logitech 710+ and Corsair Vengeance compare?

G710+ is Cherry MX Brown with rubber dampers. Corsair Vengeance is (IIRC) Cherry MX Red or Black.

Browns have tactile feedback, Red and Black don't. Depends on your personal preference more than anything else.

G710+ is Cherry MX Brown with rubber dampers. Corsair Vengeance is (IIRC) Cherry MX Red or Black.

Browns have tactile feedback, Red and Black don't. Depends on your personal preference more than anything else.

The Vengeance boards are all reds. 45g fully linear with no tactile feedback. The Logitech is browns which start out at 45g, but with a tactile bump and slightly increased force required at actuation.

I went with the Corsair because I think reds are the best keys for gaming. I like my keys as light as possible and like the linear feel. I think the palm rest is more comfortable on the Corsair boards. I like the raised keys and aluminum plating on the Corsair boards. The Logitech has a more traditional look.

I would go with the K70 or hold off for the K95 if you want macro keys. It is supposed to be available by the end of the month.

But if you like browns you probably want to go with the Logitech, keys are mostly just personal preference.

The Vengeance boards are all reds. 45g fully linear with no tactile feedback. The Logitech is browns which start out at 45g, but with a tactile bump and slightly increased force required at actuation.

I went with the Corsair because I think reds are the best keys for gaming. I like my keys as light as possible and like the linear feel. I think the palm rest is more comfortable on the Corsair boards. I like the raised keys and aluminum plating on the Corsair boards. The Logitech has a more traditional look.

I would go with the K70 or hold off for the K95 if you want macro keys. It is supposed to be available by the end of the month.

But if you like browns you probably want to go with the Logitech, keys are mostly just personal preference.

Cool thanks! I generally prefer linear feedback, so it sounds like the K70 would be perfect for me. Thanks for all the help everyone!

I just got a new keyboard, but when I can afford it, sounds like I'm going in the same direction as you after reading this. Those features are awesome.

Back