Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Round-Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at HotHardware have rounded-up a handful of mechanical gaming keyboards and put them to the test. The round-up features mechanical keyboard from AORUS, ASUS, G.Skill, and Logitech.

In a broad sense, there are two types of keyboards in this world—those that use mechanical key switches and those that don't. If that sounds like something a keyboard snob would say, so be it, this editor stands guilty as charged, and happily so. We can accept that not everyone will find just cause to spend a premium on a mechanical plank, but one thing we'll never concede is that even the best membrane keyboards are on equal footing as those with mechanical key switches.

Still using my ancient IBM PS2 mechanical keyboard :)

Has to be at least 20 years old by now, but still works as good as when it was new.
Still looks like new too, as I pull all the key caps off every few years and clean them :)

I'd buy a mechanical wireless keyboard for a decent price, but I won't go back to a wired keyboard.

I've got an old Northgate Omnikey 101 laying around here somewhere and my dad uses a 102.

I don't use mine, however. I wish logitech still made split keyboards. I've got a bunch of htem, but eventually they'll die.

Like jfreund, I don't want to go back to a wired keyboard. But honestly, I don't care about mechanical keyboards. I've got a split keyboard that's 12-15 years old where the only issue is the f10 key doesn't work (which rarely matters). The next oldest is about 7 years old and has no issues at all. The newest one is 5 or 6 years old and it also has no issues. Not bad for sub $100 keyboard/mouse combos (not that I use the mouse these days, but i did use the first mouse)

Last edited:
for my main I use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 pro and like it a lot and it has served me well. I purchased it when they first came out for %25 now they are $250. I would never pay that much for a keyboard, $50 max.

I'm still enjoying my Max Keyboard

xHnHRWq.jpg

IoghMGs.jpg

moWFven.jpg

EzH7BVd.jpg

for my main I use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 pro and like it a lot and it has served me well. I purchased it when they first came out for %25 now they are $250. I would never pay that much for a keyboard, $50 max.

I bought my X4 2-3 years ago for $50. Great purchase, and I don't see it being replaced for some time.

love my ducky shine, no plans to move to another maker

I'd buy a high end keyboard in a second if they were easy to clean. My g15 is all cruddy and I damaged the one key I tried to remove. :( vacuum and toothbrush can only do so much.

It's the tray under the keys that's the real issue.

Still, nice review, still tempting.

I've been waffling for about a year now about whether to get a Logitech G710+ as an upgrade to my Logitech G15 (2nd gen with 6 macro keys and orange lights). Nothing wrong with my G15, but it's 9 years old now and it's gonna break eventually, right? Reviews of the G710+ complain about the control keys breaking, though.

I want macro keys and a ten-key pad. Those aren't optional, and I've got the desk space for them. I couldn't care less about the keys being lighted because I am a type-by-touch wizard and never, ever look at the keyboard, but it seems like any of the keyboards I might be looking at will have lighted keys because that is the thing now. The display on the G15 Gen 2 turned out to be wasted on me because I never look at it.

This review is making me think about the G.Skill Ripjaws KM780. I wouldn't have considered a keyboard from them before now. I'll have to look into it more.

I didn't realize the difference between a membrane kb and machanical kb until I made the switch. I have a corsair k70 and I find it hard using a $20 dell kb at work now. And I'm not talking about gaming, I'm talking about standard typing. Membrane kbs are just crap. I think I'm going to replace my k70 with the k70 rgb and bring my k70 to work.

Das keyboard latest here and Thermaltake poseidon Z. Both are amazing though the poseidon is a lot easier for portable gaming.

I didn't realize the difference between a membrane kb and machanical kb until I made the switch. I have a corsair k70 and I find it hard using a $20 dell kb at work now. And I'm not talking about gaming, I'm talking about standard typing. Membrane kbs are just crap. I think I'm going to replace my k70 with the k70 rgb and bring my k70 to work.

Not really a fair comparison. Find a good keyboard that uses membrane and then compare it. My Logitech split boards are all membrane, but I wouldn't dream of using one of those crappy keyboards that work buys. OTOH, I don't find mech KBs to be anything special. If I did, I'd use that old Northgate.

Back