Meaning of dig or nslookup returning 127.0.1.1 for A record.

I have internet, but I tried to do a dig and nslookup on a remote system to see if it exists and got the following basically:

username@hostname:~$ nslookup FQDN or Computer Name
Server: 127.0.1.1
Address: 127.0.1.1#53

** server can't find FQDN or Computer Name: SERVFAIL

username@hostname:~$

What does this mean? Does it mean the Computer doesn't exist or that I'm not using an Fully Qualified Domain Name.

It means the DNS server at IP 127.0.1.1 has no record of SERVFAIL
If there should be a record, try using FQDN.
There may not be an entry for simple hostname, and only an entry for FQDN.

If there should be a record, try using FQDN.
There may not be an entry for simple hostname, and only an entry for FQDN.

Thanks I resolved this because I found the FQDN I was looking for and stopped guessing.

This actually is the all encompassing response from a DNS server when something goes wrong gimp. I doubt Scharfshutze009 was trying to actually do a dig on "Servfail". You'll get this response from a DNS server usually when forwarders cant be reached/arent giving a reply/ or there is no route to a forwarder. 127.0.1.1 is also the loopback interface on the computer you happen to be on. The original post is basically a request to the computer that Scharfshutze009 was on trying to find out if it had a record of a certain machine or domain.

This actually is the all encompassing response from a DNS server when something goes wrong gimp. I doubt Scharfshutze009 was trying to actually do a dig on "Servfail". You'll get this response from a DNS server usually when forwarders cant be reached/arent giving a reply/ or there is no route to a forwarder. 127.0.1.1 is also the loopback interface on the computer you happen to be on. The original post is basically a request to the computer that Scharfshutze009 was on trying to find out if it had a record of a certain machine or domain.

Actually 127.0.0.1 is the loopback ip address normally assigned to the local host and as to why 127.0.1.1 is usually assigned as my DNS servers or isp ip address I have no idea, but there you go and hopefully I don't get in trouble for thread neckroing.

Did you install your ISP's software on your computer?

I am just kind of guessing here, but there might be a proxy server installed on your computer, or you are running your own caching DNS server on your computer. Either one would potentially point the DNS settings at itself.

As an example, if you are doing this on a Windows server, and it is your Domain Controller, the best practice is to point the DNS entries in the network settings at itself since AD requires DNS on the DC.

Back