MCSE Questions

murph

Limp Gawd
For those of you that are MCSE certified, do you have any tips on studying for the core courses ? Is there a certain test that is easier to take before the next?

Basically, I'm working right now as an admin type for a smaller company and most of this stuff I won't ever have the chance to use hands on, but I'd like to starting working towards it (MCSE) It just feels like there is so much material to study that I get somewhat apathetic about it and keep putting off studying. I certainly don't want to be just a "paper cert," but like I said, getting this cert is one of my goals but I'm just having a hard time getting motivated to start it. I'm confident in my skills and pick things up with relative ease, but it just seems overwhelming at times.

Any advice ?

You've probably already seen the requirements: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

An easy one to start out on if you've never taken an MS test before is 70-270 (or 70-210 if you're not familar with XP)
You should be able to pass it with minimal studying if you're comfortable with the OS. I.E, can:
install it yourself, apply patches, configure the built-in firewall, know how to backup/restore, know how to roll back drivers/system state, etc.

You just always need to give the "MS Answer" not necessarily the correct one.

From there the "Core Exams: Networking System" are a good step, unless you know one of the electives really well. 70-290 through 70-294 should be pretty easy if you work with the innards of AD everyday.

Once you get the first one, you are an "MCP", you might also want to check the MSCA requirements, as most of them overlap. You can get one exam for the MCP, then a few more for your MCSA, then another couple for the MCSE.
A good book on each test will help if you don't know the subject matter by heart.

Also there are always deals going on by MS to get more people certified: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/mcp/
right now you can find somebody else and split the cost of 70-270 (usually $125) if your work is not reimbursing you.

If you are just looking for some cert's to get under your belt, the http://www.comptia.org one's are easy as hell and some qualify as electives for the MS tests. A+, Network+ and Server+ can be aced with minimal studying.

My advice. Get two or three old computer (233MHz or something) to load 2000 and 2003 on and setup each senario that the MS press books talk about.
You should be able to download the 120 day trials from MS

Know the feeling. I agree that hands on the is the best way to do it. I never had to read a book for any of the tests except my exchange elective. Im lucky enought to get hands on experience so much so that I kinda just learned it all by doing it. It's kinda hard to recommend a way without knowing your study habits and since everyone learns a little differently.

My 2 cents..

Good luck to you and let us know if you need any help!

BTW, Study a lot more on terminal services. I don't know why, but I get a crazy amount of TS questions and I've never seen anything about TS in any MS press book.

Back