McAfee's Website Full of Security Holes

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy cow, this has to be pretty damn embarrassing.

The McAfee.com website is full of security mistakes that could lead to cross-site scripting and other attacks, researchers said in a post on the Full Disclosure site on Monday. The holes with the site were found by the YGN Ethical Hacker Group, and reported to McAfee on Feb. 10, YGN says, before they were publicly disclosed to the security/hacking mailing list.

Didn't read the article, but i would assume they would use the same sloppy code on their website as they do their products

McAfee? Wait, isn't that the people who made antivirus for Windows 98? I wasn't aware they were still in business.

Judging by McAfee's products, they never cared what their security was. Intel owns them now, and I suspect are wondering just what they bought.

Using McAfee (or even Norton), is like using a Kleenex condom.... absolutely worthless for anything more than show.

-P

I can't even count how many times I've had to remove their AV off of other people's computers. Same goes for Norton.

I can't even count how many times I've had to remove their AV off of other people's computers. Same goes for Norton.

And I can't even measure how many hours I've had to spend TRYING to remove AV off their computers. Viruses are easier to remove than AV software.

Poor guy this article was written about. He must suffer from the same fate the citizens of Kazahistan are suffering from. International redicule. If anyone took the time to read page 2, the name of the person is '...Bort'. I can't imagine anyone making 'Funny Sexy Time Joke Voice' in Borat's voice.

And I can't even measure how many hours I've had to spend TRYING to remove AV off their computers. Viruses are easier to remove than AV software.

I agree McAfee sucks but there's a McAfee Uninstaller/removal tool that deletes registery entries, etc etc available by a google search that I find works really well.

We just switched at work to McAfee...I told the lead admins that they did not need this shitty program but I am a lone IT tech at the customer level. They asked us all for our opinion's and I just wonder why.

McAfee was one of those early anti-virus "Pioneers" that *created* a need for his product. And oh yeah, the product sucks.

Sorry to hear that, i guess you dont keep up with the times that Norton isnt what it was and is pretty well rated and very light these days, assuming you also mean recent versions you remove.

Sorry to hear that, i guess you dont keep up with the times that Norton isnt what it was and is pretty well rated and very light these days, assuming you also mean recent versions you remove.
I still wouldn't recommend it for customers, friends or relatives PCs. MSE does just as good of a job or better and it's free.

Fuck Norton and McAfee. If a business wants to use it then fine.

my sig rig has 6 month of free which i stopped 6 month after i bought the PC. it's nearly impossible to shut the darn thing off, i just reinstall the OS if system comes with the Mcafee and get rid of the darn thing.

I still wouldn't recommend it for customers, friends or relatives PCs. MSE does just as good of a job or better and it's free.

Fuck Norton and McAfee. If a business wants to use it then fine.

considering MSE doesnt have an entire suite to cover everything, Norton does, depends on the situaiton.

i will say thought i am an MSE guy with windows firewall behind a router when possible, but if someone did want to pay, i would say Norton / NOD32, but NOD is going the route of bloated.

i will say thought i am an MSE guy with windows firewall behind a router when possible, but if someone did want to pay, i would say Norton / NOD32, but NOD is going the route of bloated.

Agreed. NOD32 used to be very light and effective, but it's turning into shit.

Agreed. NOD32 used to be very light and effective, but it's turning into shit.

Its sad actually i loved nod32 for awhile and turned a lot of my family over to it. But i don't trust it anymore, so now i need to get them to change again...
That aside, my work just change or lab computers over to MSE, the university has a campus wide MC license, but i hard they are going be switching over to something else this summer.

Back