Mcafee Disabled - can't enable

elation

Gawd
Checked for viruses with stinger and housecall - clean. Checked for odd processes - none. Checked for spyware - clean. This is on a corporate network - had to manually remove (removed registry keys too). Reinstalled - same thing. You can enable it but it instantly goes back to disabled (the little red circle with a slash through it). I'm clueless as to the fix short of reimaging. Any ideas?

Thanks

try reinstalling it to a non-default directory
instead of C:/McAfee (or whateber) try C:/ScRewYoUhAxOr

Online virus scans are not infallible
you could easily have a Trojan
trial TDS-3 and install per the instructions in the help.txt to a nondefault directory, and manually update the definitions (links regarding that in the link above)

then > Configuration Button > Startup Tab > Check all in intialization and Startup Scanning > Save
then
Scan Control Button > Scan Options Tab > Check all except the 2 ADS options > then Available Scans > Select all move to right pane > Start Scanning

will peg you resources, and you wont be able to do anything till its done,
f there is a Remote Administration Trojan that was missed
it should find it

Check the logs. I have norton and dentrix over here ( anybody who works with dentrix, I feel for you, truely ), and everytime a new version comes out, dentrix overwrites a dll that norton needs.

Granted, norton is noisy about it, but mcafee's may not be.

Originally posted by Ice Czar
welcome to DLL HELL
<evil laugh> Bruhahahaha </evil laugh>
Oh, I am well aware of the problem. Further, this is crappy work by dentrix more than anything else, I would guarantee that.

TDS-3 was pretty nifty. But it was clean. I figure something somewhere is just corrupt beyond repair. I'm going to reimage his machine next week and be done with it. Thanks for the help guys!

Originally posted by Ice Czar
Open Dental Software
opensource :D and you can convert the Dentrix database (for a fee)
I've been keeping my eyes on that one. It's still not robust enough for the size of the practice I do work for tho. :)

This is a huge dental office.

Back