MBP won't boot while connected to display port

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
I'm having a weird issue with my MBP as of late.

I recently set it up as my main system...retired my old C2Q desktop as an HTPC/storage server.

If I boot my MBP with a second display connected it hangs at a blue screen, the fans kick on high, and that's it. Sometimes I'll see remnants of the desktop from my last session bleed through like they were burned into the screen but it's really not the case.

I have to force the system down by holding the power button and boot it without the secondary monitor. It's almost like it can't properly initiate the Radeon graphics card when it boots?!?!?!?!?

I may try to post a video to youtube here shortly if it'll help. If anyone can offer advice please do.

15" MBP 2011 model with the Radeon 6750 1GB graphics card
OSX Lion fully updated
16GB DDR3 - Apple memory from corsair.
120GB Intel 320 SSD
750GB 5400RPM Apple HDD

The second monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM connected via the display/thunderbolt port to a DVI-HDMI cable. I'm going to try swapping out the cable with a regular DVI cable later tonight.

Last edited:
I didn't catch anything on verbose mode. It went from verbose to the blue screen shown below like it was about to load the UI. You can see the outline of icons from my dock and the browser in this image. This doesn't always happen, when it does it's always the last image on my display prior to shutting down.

i-2R3hdd5-L.jpg

Weird. I have never seen that before. Is your software actually running in the background (try iTunes hotkey or something and see if music starts playing), or is the system hung?

It shouldn't be because I require a password to login. Two password protected user accounts are on the system.

Does it only do this if the screen is connected at boot? What if you boot first, get to the desktop and then connect the monitor? When it is in this state, can you ping it, VNC into it or access other remote services?

I can easily connect the monitor once it's booted. It works flawlessly without issue. The issue only happens if I try to boot with it connected.

I'll see if it responds to a ping or or can be used during that time.

really strange...I just shut it down with the option to re-open previously opened apps and it started up just fine with the second display opened.

I just it down like normal, told it not to re-open and it's booting up just fine again.

Strange...I hope it continues to work like this.

I'm still somewhat worried, hopefully it was just software.

wired problem and it won't get recover only by the turn on and turn off, how about update the system?

It's fully updated...and after my last post it did show symptoms again. It's rather strange, but other than this everything seems to be running great.

Back